Days off from w@rk

dontworry

Recycles dryer sheets
I always have big dreams and plans for my days off from w@rk, but lately I end up not doing anything! As I am getting older I seem to need those days just to catch up on sleep and totally veg out. I get disgusted with myself, but then I try to cut myself some slack. Has this happened to anybody else? I sure hope that when I am off every day that I am not so lazy!

Nope, never (or hardly ever). My day offs are always filled with something to do.

I always have big dreams and plans for my days off from w@rk, but lately I end up not doing anything! As I am getting older I seem to need those days just to catch up on sleep and totally veg out. I get disgusted with myself, but then I try to cut myself some slack. Has this happened to anybody else? I sure hope that when I am off every day that I am not so lazy!

Sounds pretty much like me too. I still find myself doing it sometimes but I have mostly gotten over it. Some people are just Eager J Beaver types. More power to 'em. Others see no need to screw with mother nature. I yam what I yam.

Once I got a bit older I was like that. When I was younger (20's-30's) I planned more activities on the weekends. Then it turned into planning....and then not doing. Then by the time I took early retirement (54) I had changed enough that sitting around on the weekends was what I needed. Other people I worked with could still do it..... I just knew that if I took off that I would end the weekend no more rested than I was when it started.....and likely my wallet would be a lot lighter as well.

Back when I worked full-time I would spend my off days sitting home recovering so I could get through my next day of work. After I lost my job I was lazy for a month or so just relaxing but once I healed I started doing more things. As long as I don't go overboard then I don't need long to recover. Now I work part-time just enough to cover my expenses. I'm not worn out like before so when i'm not working I feel good and have energy to do things. Don't feel bad taking the necessary time to recover. You'll have time later to do more when you retire or go part-time.

I turned 40 this year and this is the first year I have really noticed feeling a little more tired and worn out. Plus the kids do keep me busy (running). So when I get a day off at home while they are in school I find myself just vegging and then feeling guilty about it. My DH is one who has a hard time "doing nothing" and he is 15 years older than me! I am glad I am not the only one who needs down time. When this polar vortex is over hopefully I will have more energy. Can't wait til summer!!!!

When I was working, especially travelling, weekends were an alternation of frenzied catching up on stuff and exhausted slumping in front of the TV. I am only 2 weeks in to ESR, but life is a lot more manageable. I do notice that if I really exert myself now that I am 40 I a kind of beat the next day. Wednesday I easily hiked 10 miles with rifle and gear in temps ranging from 0 to 40F and yesterday I was really kind of low energy physically. No biggie, since I did not have to gear up for a day of work. I think some of this is also seasonal for me, as I tend to struggle with a bit of seasonal affective this time of year. The summer months should be a lot easier to be pepped up. I don't mind the cold at all, but I could see the point of being closer to the equator in the winter as I get older just to take the winter blahs out of things.

Yes - I'm going through the same phase. I used to do all kinds of stuff on days off when I had only 2 days off per week. Now I have 5-6 days off a week and get less done than I did before.

When I was working, especially full-time and moreso in my early working years, I did a lot more with my fewer days off than I did later in my full-time working years.

In the 1980s I was going to California for nearly 2 weeks, using up nearly all of my paid days off. This left me with very few paid days off for the rest of the year, days I used very carefully. Most of those remaining days I used for local weekend trips out of town to visit friends in the NYC metro area.

After five years of working, I got a third week of vacation but by then I had stopped going to California so now I had a lot more paid days off and less things to use them for compared to before. I began taking most of the last 2 weeks of the year off just to rest up and do whatever I liked without going out of town. With several company holidays in the last 2 weeks (Xmas and New Years), I did not have to save a lot of days in order to get lots of consecutive days off.

In 2000, I got a 4th week off and I began to take alternating Wednesdays off in the summer so I could avoid some hot days on the trains and break up the week into 2 two-day "mini-weeks" which was nice. I'd do errands that day to avoid the Saturday crowds, a preview of things to come. What I was realizing was that the more days off I had, the less of a reason I had to use them with great care.

In 2001, when I began working part-time, I had several weekdays off every week as I took a big step toward my ER. I still had some paid days (prorated) off but it was the days off, albeit unpaid, I had every week which mattered the most. It was very easy to get used to and I never want to go back to any arrangement I had before.

I sympathize! I do think that as we grow older, it is harder to work long hours than it was when we were younger. This seems especially true after turning 60 or so.

This is one of many reasons why I am SO glad that I am now retired.

I turn 67 this year and I have got lazy:facepalm:. Sometimes I think it might be mild depression because I just cannot make myself get out and do anything. It has been very cold here:wiseone: and maybe when the weather make a turn I will start back doing things.

I turn 67 this year and I have got lazy:facepalm:. Sometimes I think it might be mild depression because I just cannot make myself get out and do anything. It has been very cold here:wiseone: and maybe when the weather make a turn I will start back doing things.
Let's review your medical condition, Oldtrig... 1) you are retired 2) it's freezing cold outside 3) you are lazy... Sorry, nothing wrong with you, now go take a nap and enjoy yourself!!! :)

Let's review your medical condition, Oldtrig... 1) you are retired 2) it's freezing cold outside 3) you are lazy... Sorry, nothing wrong with you, now go take a nap and enjoy yourself!!! :)

+1

I get bursts of energy, and check things off the doo-doo list, but also both need and enjoy just going where my [-]ADD[/-]curiosity takes me, including the sofa for a nap. But I'm still tied to the yoke, so not sure how I'll adapt to FIRE. Stay tuned!

Back
Top Bottom