How much do you spend on clothes?

Move to Florida anyone under 80 can be a hot tamale !
Hot dang! Watch out Moe...here I come!
sCh_motorcyclist.gif

Other than the motorcycle riding gear ($600) virtually nothing on me. DW, however, is another story at $1,600. But in fairness, she hadn't spent much on clothes in the previous several years.

If I asked my SO how much he spent on clothes he would probably say nothing or $20 for a gator tee shirt and while that is true it is not the whole story . Clothes magically appear in his drawers . Worn out underwear gets replaced and dirty tee shirts become new again . Is it the clothes fairy ? No , It is me keeping my SO clothed . I have been married twice and now have a long time relationship and what I have found out is married guys usually do not shop for clothes(except suits ) . I'm not sure if they think those clothes appear by magic or what . So I can totally believe any married guy claiming to have a clothes budget of zip while still looking good but the wives budget is a different story . Just the whole truth and nothing but the truth !

I have to wonder how common that is. I doubt my father bought any clothes in 40+ years.

I have to wonder how common that is. I doubt my father bought any clothes in 40+ years.
I'm slowly getting sucked into this vortex, but willingly. I have more time to shop online for nice cheap (always of good quality) dress shirts as they are "liquidated". He's still charge of his own shoes and slacks, though. ;)

Well, I probably spend about $200 per year on clothes. My work outfits are business casual and basically consist of a bunch of khaki-type slacks and button down shirts, and I probably wear out one or two of each during the year and cycle in some new ones. The rest of the annual clothing purchases are just casual wear odds and ends I pick up (or more likely, my better half picks up for me) on occasion.

But that doesn't include shoes. I probably spend at least another $100 per year on shoes. I walk a lot during my commute, in all types of weather, and I generally need a new pair of shoes every year for work. My work shoes then become casual shoes etc.

Hmm - this is interesting. I splurged for the first time on an entire drawer of undergarments!! ($150 was with giftcards from VS, so that amount will be deducted from my total)
"Civilian clothing" = $515 (including the VS trip listed above, and a new pair of NB sneakers on clearance on base) but of course - 90% of this stuff was on sale!
"Military uniforms" = $1400 (including pantyhose) Will only be reimbursed $400 for these.

This year has not been typical for me. Clothing/shoes tends to be less than $400 total.

I budget $120 a month for me, wife and 2 boys. I need to track it more closely to see if this is realistic.

Since I'm newly retired, I'm hopeful that increased exercise leads to weight loss and the need for new clothes that fit my predicted buff self:LOL:

Since I'm newly retired, I'm hopeful that increased exercise leads to weight loss and the need for new clothes that fit my predicted buff self:LOL:

Seriously, the thought of having to buy new clothes is a factor in my motivation to go out for a run when I feel my pants getting a bit tight around the waist ... I want to stay the same size for the rest of my life! :D

Seriously, the thought of having to buy new clothes is a factor in my motivation to go out for a run when I feel my pants getting a bit tight around the waist ... I want to stay the same size for the rest of my life! :D
Good point. It motivates you to get out and run, and you're always glad you did when you're done. Funny how a desire to spend wisely causes exercise which causes saving money on health care (assuming a healthier weight and heart).

I spend about $600 / yr on clothes + shoes. About half that is for work (business casual) + general casual wear and the other half is for exercise - running shoes & clothes.

I probably spend as much as I do on wine(see another thread running currently). I don't know if this is good or bad. I have enough clothes and shoes to last me an eternity.

Gosh, I just got back from the outlet mall. I spent $129 for five pair of sandals. They were cheap, end of season saile, so I bought enough to do me for the next couple of summers. I bought casual and dress sandals in brown and black. I am set!

I usually spend about $125 a month on cloths and my husband probably spends $50. I live in an area that is somewhat affluent and my husband and I travel a good bit so I need dressy as well as casual. I find that I don't replace things to often.

I always plan my purchases for end of season sales, etc.

We leave in a couple of weeks on a three week trip to Europe. I have spent more in the last month than I have all year. But the spending is over until January or so when I hit the end of season sales for winter things.

Gosh, I just got back from the outlet mall. I spent $129 for five pair of sandals. They were cheap, end of season saile, so I bought enough to do me for the next couple of summers. I bought casual and dress sandals in brown and black. I am set!

I usually spend about $125 a month on cloths and my husband probably spends $50. I live in an area that is somewhat affluent and my husband and I travel a good bit so I need dressy as well as casual. I find that I don't replace things to often.

I always plan my purchases for end of season sales, etc.

We leave in a couple of weeks on a three week trip to Europe. I have spent more in the last month than I have all year. But the spending is over until January or so when I hit the end of season sales for winter things.

3 weeks in Europe...I'm jealous...Bon Voyage!

I think we benefit on clothing costs in two ways:
- Our boys don't mind wearing Walmart clothes right now. As they get older and care about it more, we will indulge in more expensive stuff, within reason.
- My wife and I don't dress our boys in expensive clothes for our sake. We aren't out to compete with the neighbors.

One thing we don't like is Conspicuous Consumption. It's a big part of why we just had this Great Recession - "people buying things they don't need to impress people they don't like."

There is a certain middle-aged-man look that says safe, middle class, etc. If your face and build conform it is fairly cheap to achieve. But if I am wearing cheap clothes (which I usually am) it is mostly hobos who relate to me on the downtown streets. I am old and lean and muscular and bearded with a weather beaten face. I wear baggy jeans and tee shirt and a backpack. Many guys who look like me just got off the 'Hound and are looking for someplace to get a cheap shower and then a meal.

I have been spending some time around town with an attractive older woman and she has noticed the same thing about how I appear to be perceived. She says her experiences with me are quite different from her usual hangouts with men, not so much because we do things that are real different, but because I am different.

When I get away from the city center I don't notice this- people in upscale suburban type shopping areas must key on other cues.

Ha

Well, my wife has spent about $400 in the last month or two, but that was an anomaly caused by getting ready to start a new job and needing a little more of a "work wardrobe." Not that teachers aides need to dress like a fashion plate, but a little more business casual attire that fit properly was in order.

Interesting post haha. Part of the fun of people watching is being the one watched, and wondering or hearing what people perceive you as.

Myself I'm looking forward to changing up my appearance. Since I look young naturally, I look forward to getting back in shape and varying my look. I think it's 10% vanity, but 90% that I like it when people can't quite categorize me by my appearance.

Ziggy, I like your "quote" (is there a name for the quote someone places below his/her post?).

Here are some I've liked so far:
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined." - Henry David Thoreau

" - - my greatest skill has been to want but little - - " (Henry David Thoreau, in Walden)

"There is no more dreadful punishment than futile and hopeless labour" - Albert Camus

"Why should I let the toad work squat on my life? Can't I use my wit as a pitchfork and drive the brute off?" - Philip Larkin

Back
Top Bottom