O.K., so looking for info on Booz Allen

Re: O.K., so looking for info on Booz Allen - Last Update

So drum roll......

They decided to make an offer to another candidate (aaawww). Bottom line is I was too expensive. That's fine, there is a downside to being the best paid guy (or gal) on a team. I just got back from an 8 day business trip and missed Tori something fierce (and that lady who lives here, too) so I think taking a job with more travel may not be the right move (does that sound like sour grapes?). Strangely though, after the initial feeling of rejection, I felt a little relief. I think I just have too much going on right now. :p :)

Lawrence -

Sorry to hear about the job offer going south - but as you said it probably is for the best. With #2 on the way and going to school, you and your wife have a lot on your plates! I have a strong feeling that you will be very glad that you aren't ending up on the road ..... It can be a miserable and lonely life in a hotel room.

I think you will do just fine -- you really seem to have your s**t together! Besides, you never know what is waiting down the line. :)

Good things come to those who wait ............

Jane

Laurence said:
So drum roll......

They decided to make an offer to another candidate (aaawww). Bottom line is I was too expensive. That's fine, there is a downside to being the best paid guy (or gal) on a team. I just got back from an 8 day business trip and missed Tori something fierce (and that lady who lives here, too) so I think taking a job with more travel may not be the right move (does that sound like sour grapes?). Strangely though, after the initial feeling of rejection, I felt a little relief. I think I just have too much going on right now. :p :)

Honestly, Laurence, that was my gut feeling. I think you ended up in the right choice for now.

3 years ago, I was monumentally unhappy at my job and I was looking even though it was a bad time to be looking. DW was pregnant with our first, and we had just moved, DW had quit work, etc. An employer made me a somewhat attractive offer, but I knew the job wasn't a good long term fit. It was very tempting to take a 25% raise and a ticket out of a miserable job, but I turned it down. In the long run, it was a very good decision.

Laurence said:
They decided to make an offer to another candidate (aaawww). Bottom line is I was too expensive. That's fine, there is a downside to being the best paid guy (or gal) on a team.
No losers in this beauty contest... you're on a list and I'm sure this will circle back around in a few months.

How's your current employer treating you now that they know you're staying put for a while?

A job with a lot of travel isn't a good fit for a parent who loves to be home with the wife and kids. All the money in the world isn't enough.

The recruiting experiance was a good one. When the right employer rings your bell you will have had experiance with the process.

Brat said:
A job with a lot of travel isn't a good fit for a parent who loves to be home with the wife and kids. All the money in the world isn't enough.

The recruiting experiance was a good one. When the right employer rings your bell you will have had experiance with the process.

What she said.

Well the nice thing is they (my current employer) have taken a lot of what I said to heart. They demoted the lead (yay!) and have us all reported directly to program managers, and I got to pick my favorite - she thinks I walk on water and who am I to disagree? - so things should be better. They've also made noises about getting me a raise (blah, blah, blah) but hopefully at least next year's review will be o.k.

We will see, for now I consider it a clean slate. A good change has happened, and I want to give management a chance. Funny thing - on my flight back from D.C. on Thursday I sat next to one of the Directors and he taught me how to do Soduku (sp?) and we spent the rest of the flight cranking on his books and books of them. I realized being well liked where you work is not something to walk away from lightly. Overall a very good experience, though.

Laurence said:
Funny thing - on my flight back from D.C. on Thursday I sat next to one of the Directors and he taught me how to do Soduku (sp?) and we spent the rest of the flight cranking on his books and books of them. I realized being well liked where you work is not something to walk away from lightly. Overall a very good experience, though.
Now you can really suck up leverage that "common interest" with Scientific American's article on programming the puzzles and the solution methods... the June "Science of Sudoku" article (it's subscription-only online).

Laurence said:
I realized being well liked where you work is not something to walk away from lightly. Overall a very good experience, though.

Being liked where you work and a short commute--priceless.

They're pretty much at the top of the "Beltway Bandits". They are a way of the Government to hire contract engineering and management consulting people and they administer lots of Gov. contracts. Coming out of manufacturing and a defense company where we actually designed harware and cut metal I carn't say I had too much appreciation of their work, definietly too white collar for me, but I had a friend who worked for them on a big project and he seemed to like it. I get the impression that the place is demanding, like most management consultants, but that its tempered by some Gov./ civil service mentality.

PS make sure you fill in your timesheet correctly if you end up working there and Gov contracts run on timesheets and charge numbers.

Back
Top Bottom