Ads blocking the screen

Retch The Grate

Full time employment: Posting here.
So I'm having a recurring problem with this site that some of the ads will cover up most of the screen, making things unusable. It is particular ads, so refreshing several times will often fix the problem until the ad gets served again. Any chance the admins can do something about the ad network or poorly formed javascript on the pages that is allowing this to happen?

So I'm having a recurring problem with this site that some of the ads will cover up most of the screen, making things unusable. It is particular ads, so refreshing several times will often fix the problem until the ad gets served again. Any chance the admins can do something about the ad network or poorly formed javascript on the pages that is allowing this to happen?

I cleaned my cache and tried to re log on and was blocked by an ad. Was able to log in by clicking one of the thread titles.

What is the ad? Can you get the url or a screen shot? We may be able to block it if we can identify the issue.

This is the one that's getting me (I posted yesterday in the Vanguard ad thread):

I've never had a problem with the Vanguard ad but this particular ad occasionally hijacks my screen and makes the site unusable until it gets tired of my refreshing:

Screen Shot 2015-02-25 at 10.12.28 AM.png

I tried emptying my cache but it came back a day later. Any ideas?

I'm always surprised at how many people don't use AdBlock and Ghostery.

Sorry about the issues. WE need the URL so I can report them to Google and block the URL. Can you all get me the destination URL?

Hasn't happened today and all I have is the screenshot.

When we get it, do we just get the "copy link" URL for the image? (I just did it on a well-behaving ad and it was a very long doubleclick.net address.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post

Me too!

I have 'block popup windows' checked in Safari, that is all I need for other sites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post

Me too!

I have 'block popup windows' checked in Safari, that is all I need for other sites.
Your comments, and a reference to Google ads in another post reminds me...

There is a setting in Adblock that should be un-checked. Open Filter preferences..., then uncheck "Allow some non-intrusive advertising." This hides the ads at the top of a google search page, I was pleased to find out.

Pop Ups are just one way ads get displayed, so blocking them doesn't defeat all ads. Also check for malware, toolbars, search engines, and unwanted browser extensions.

Is safari common to people seeing this ? May be something peculiar to the safari browser. Try starting your browser in No add-ons or safe mode see if the problem is still there.

Not specific to this problem alone, but when I'm browsing on many different sites, I turn on the free download program "hostsman" which effectively removes almost all advertising.
It does point up that there are often many ads or popups that we get used to and use. A single click turns it on or off.

I have safari and ad block and thankfully using my iPad I do not see any adds.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I had this problem and found I needed to update my browser. The problem is now solved! I use Safari BTW.

Back
Top Bottom