Slow for anyone else?

cute fuzzy bunny

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Forum's been very slow the last day or two. I actually got several timeouts and just enjoyed watching someones avatar get painted in 5 pieces with a 2-3 second delay in between.

Response to other sites is snappy, and i'm on 2m/8m cable, so I dont think I'm having a bandwidth problem.

I've not had any problem with speed on the forum...except for a couple of minutes yesterday when the site was apparently down entirely.

Funny, as soon as I posted this, it sped back up. Dog slow about 5 minutes ago, earlier today, and pretty slow last night.

Ridiculously slow today. I'm waiting 30 seconds to get a response on clicking on a thread, and its taking up to a minute or more to fully display a thread.

It's been slow for me too with multiple timeouts for the last couple days.

Me too; sometimes it is reasonable, other times the slowest pages I have encountered. I just go away when that happens.

Ha

Fine right now, but awful earlier and for most of the morning. Practically unusable. I actually clicked on the 'search' button in the command bar and waited half a minute for the search box to drop down.

I am just reading this, I will contact the server admins. Maybe a reboot for the servers this weekend would be in order. Thanks for feedback.

Its not only slow today, I'm getting 500 server errors.

Andy, those will show up in your server logs by default, with a cause.

I have oped up some tickets with the server admins to get more information. I will be focused on making sure the servers are running as fast as possible. I will post an update ASAP.

I just got about 30 server 500 errors in a row, so there should be plenty of information in the logs to explain the problem.

I'm getting consistently good ping times to www.early-retirement.org, but its one hell of a route getting there and back. So doesnt LOOK like its network related, but some sort of server problem.

Thanks for the feedback, it's very helpful. I will pass it on. If possible, can you try adding a 1 or 2 in the URL when this happens. It might lead to some more info.

Examples:
www1.early-retirement.org
www2.early-retirement.org

The server admins are investigating things right now.

Unbelievably slow this evening- 7pm pst.

Ha

Consistently good ping times to both. Within 1-2ms of each other.

Shouldnt matter if its one bad one and one good one. Whichever one is bad will have web server logs showing the 500 errors and the root cause.

For the benefit of the users who dont know what a "server 500" error is, that occurs when something goes wrong at the server end, its unable to respond to your http request, so it sends you a "500" error to indicate that its had a problem and cant comply with your request.

Thanks for the feedback, it's very helpful. I will pass it on. If possible, can you try adding a 1 or 2 in the URL when this happens. It might lead to some more info.

Examples:
www1.early-retirement.org
www2.early-retirement.org

The server admins are investigating things right now.
Yeah, that'll keep us all busy while the server admins are getting their stories straight...

The server admins were able to find some scripts that are crashing fastcgi (php). I now have access to the logs and am keeping an eye on the errors. I think we are going to need to change the web servers from running lighttp to another web server like Apache 2 or LightSpeed.

Please post back here if the servers slow to a crawl again.

A whole flurry of 500 errors again today and they were on www2. www1 responded just fine. I got about 30 500 errors in a row on www2.

Back
Top Bottom