23 and me test

My report shows me to be 100% European, and then breaks that down to parts of Europe, and then subparts.

(edited to add the regions I had 0%, after I found where they show it. I can add the breakout of the other continents if anyone wants it.)

NW European
-----------
British & Irish
French & German
Finnish
Scandanavian
Broadly NW

Eastern European (not further broken out)

Southern European
------------
Sardinian
Italian
Iberian
Balkan
Broadly southern

Ashkenazi Jewish (not broken out)

Broadly European (single digit % in my case so it's not like they just say 75% and a pinch of others, at least for for me)

I expected 50/50 British+Irish+Scandanvian / Eastern European, and I came out not too far from that. 52.1/37.5, so I guess one great grandparent was non-eastern. That's the only number that works out to be an even fraction to say that "exactly" 3 of 8 ancestors come from a specific place. The others are odd percentages which either show gaps in the knowledge, or more of a mutt heritage. I guess one mutt could throw all the other numbers off.
I have been thinking about this since your post. I finally ordered the ancestry kit where you give your saliva sample. I am deeply interested in genealogy and I want to know about my future possible health issues as well. I have no idea if this is the best company to go with or not, but it was under $100 so went for it.

I believe it does both sides of my family and there are some parts of my family where the records just peter out and I can't find further back. I'm pretty sure I have no Scandinavian or southern European blood. But I could have Native American or Ashkenazi or I may not. It will be about a week I think before my ancestry kit arrives in the mail. Whatever I find out I will post it so others can better determine for themselves what these tests reveal so if they are interested in doing the same they can make a better decision about it.

I'm pretty sure I have no Scandinavian or southern European blood. But I could have Native American or Ashkenazi or I may not.

I did the Ancestry kit a while back. Mostly it confirmed what we already "knew."

But it did clear up one thing. I have a great great grandfather where the info we have is weak. That side of the family never spoke of him either. There was a family theory that he was at least part Huron or Potawatomi since he was born near one reservation and died near another one.

But the DNA test put that theory to rest.

I did the Ancestry kit a while back. Mostly it confirmed what we already "knew."

But it did clear up one thing. I have a great great grandfather where the info we have is weak. That side of the family never spoke of him either. There was a family theory that he was at least part Huron or Potawatomi since he was born near one reservation and died near another one.

But the DNA test put that theory to rest.
It's really hard sometimes to find any information on someone born in the early 1800's . There's lots of relatives on the various lines I'm stuck on but no one seems to know any further back than what I have. Maybe science will help me.

I wouldn't put too much weight on whatever results you receive. I've pretty much come to the conclusion that dna testing for determining national, geographic or even racial backgrounds is mostly for entertainment purposes. DW supposedly has a Cherokee ancestor 7 generations back but at that "distance" she would have inherited 1/256 of her dna from that ancestor. "The Family Tree Guide to DNA Testing and Genetic Genealogy" by Blaine Bettinger is an interesting resource.

Sure. Geneology is far far from anything resembling a science.

In family trees you can be fairly certain of the maternal line, but frankly, the further back you go on the paternal line the more likely it becomes that digging out marriage records isn't accurate for determining the father.

It's still interesting and fun for many people.

I wouldn't put too much weight on whatever results you receive.
Agreed. I bought the test for my dad and three sisters. So it reports that all four kids have the same parents, not a surprise, and we all show the same breakdown of European, except one of the kids shows a tiny bit of native American.

at the end of season 2 of the tv series Janet King, they used a new dna test to form a picture of the individual. Of course it was an uncanny likeness of the killer. Interesting idea but a little far-fetched.

Agreed. I bought the test for my dad and three sisters. So it reports that all four kids have the same parents, not a surprise, and we all show the same breakdown of European, except one of the kids shows a tiny bit of native American.

Well that would have been pretty awkward if they turned out to not have the same parents, although you really don't know if the common father was who you think he was. :eek:

A guy we're acquainted with recently had his DNA tested and sometime thereafter received a call from a lady who's DNA was so close as to indicate with near certainty that they were siblings. Neither had a clue and "parents" were dead but the man's father had been stationed at a military base in the community where the woman grew up.

Well that would have been pretty awkward if they turned out to not have the same parents, although you really don't know if the common father was who you think he was. :eek:

This actually happened to some of my relatives. The results were not entirely surprising to the person involved though, as he had long suspected he had a different father than his sibs.

They're finding all sorts of things via these DNA tests.

There are quite a few adults who were fathered by the same sperm donor...and through DNA testing, they are connecting online and in person and sometimes, even meeting with the sperm donor "dad".

------

I find it interesting that so many families claim to have had Native American blood in their ancestry (I wonder why?)...and many are being disproven.

omni

They're finding all sorts of things via these DNA tests.

There are quite a few adults who were fathered by the same sperm donor...and through DNA testing, they are connecting online and in person and sometimes, even meeting with the sperm donor "dad".

------

they made a movie about this. the french version was STARBUCK. the american version was DELIVERY MAN. the french one was much better.

I have tested at about 23andme and Ancestry. DH has as well.

For those thinking that tests my have disproved Native American ancestry that may well not be true. The more distant an ancestor is the greater the possibility that you won't share DNA with that ancestor. For example, I have a 3rd cousin that I share 0 DNA with. I do share DNA with his mother and with his full sibling. And, yes, I have seen the DNA result that shows he is the son of his mother and is a full sibling to the sister.

For more distant ancestors you may not receive any of their DNA but they were still your ancestor. So many of those "disproven" Native American situations are really just "not proved." That is, the DNA doesn't prove NA ancestry but doesn't disprove it. Now this is only true for people at a greater distance. For closer relatives you will definitely share DNA.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, DNA testing was very important to me as an adoptee. I found my birthmother 20 years ago using traditional searching (pre-DNA). But I used DNA to recently find my deceased birthfather. He had stepchildren that he had adopted and who knew him as their only father. It has been very meaningful to me to connect with them and to find out about my birthfather and his life. And, they were very happy to find out that I exist.

The most efficient route to go at this time:
- test at ancestry.com or FTDNA
- download your results
- upload to other sites (cheap or free) to get more analysis.

We went to ancestry.com initially. Then FTDNA, GEDMATCH, Promethease (disease analysis, etc.).

I took the Ancestry.com DNA test a few years ago. By coincidence, tomorrow I am meeting my brother and parents to take DNA tests, because I am doing the family genealogy.

The DNA test proved to be well worth it, for two reasons:

(1) To learn where my distant ancestors were from (mostly England/Ireland); and

(2) To discover where my paternal great grandad came from. There are about 50 of his lineal descendants in my hometown, but none knew his origins. So my last name could not be traced prior to the early 1900s in my hometown.

After joining Ancestry.com a couple months ago to do the genealogy, I did some searching on its web site. I came up with two likely families my great grandad might have descended from -- both in the midwest. I suspected that of the two families, I was most likely from the second candidate family, given that my family had many, many first names that matched the first names in that particular midwestern clan. But no hard proof...

...until I remembered that I took the DNA test a few years ago. After searching the Ancestry.com DNA database, I discovered that I was a 99% match to a guy I've never (yet) met. We share a common great-great grandmother in the second midwestern candidate family. The DNA clinched it, and I am in the process of connecting with that clan. So the DNA test was great. Hopefully, more data can emerge after my parents and brother submit their DNA samples.

I'm curious Mo Money why your great grandfather couldn't be traced in census records? He was in the U.S.? If you don't mind sharing I would be interested to know what the brick wall is? Early 1900's is not that far back in genealogy.

His first name was traced back to annual US censuses back to 1900. In all of those censuses (censi? :LOL:), he was in my hometown, being a poor struggling laborer, getting married and having a bunch of kids.

The 1890 census does not exist; burned in a fire.

The 1880 and 1870 censuses did not have him living in my hometown. He was born in the early 1860s...

A national search turned up a lot of guys with his first name, but we knew nothing about his siblings or parents -- all a complete blank. The similarity of names was key to narrowing the search. That is, as stated above, a lot of first names in my family ran in one of the two midwestern candidate families I was thinking I might be descended from. But it was all hopeful speculation, until the DNA match showed that a guy I've never met and I have the same great-great grandma in the family in question.

Some (more) observations about this whole DNA/genealogy thing:

1. Life was rough for a lot of ancestors, at least in my family. Hard-scrabble jobs, a zillion kids, extended families jammed together in one house, very limited or no education, and disease and death everywhere. In 1919-1920, on both sides of my family, at least seven relatives (six only in their twenties, at the flower of their youth) died of Spanish flu. And infant mortality was everywhere. We have it GREAT compared to what our ancestors went through. There is MUCH for my generation to be thankful for.

2. There are always amazing inaccuracies in the records, so look for general trends of proof. I have ancestors who were siblings, and each spelled their last name differently in official records! This may be because they had limited education, but geez!

3. There are a lot of surprises, some good, some not so good. For example: Good: While many of my ancestors were European immigrants, I learned that at least one line in my family runs back to pre-revolutionary colonial America. I did not have a clue about this till I did the genealogy. And bad: a great-grandfather was likely murdered, according to the coroner's notes on the death certificate.

4. The following observation may be viewed cynically (which I don't intend), but: Most of us are born, and if we have children and grandchildren, they remember us. After that, IF we have a descendant who cares to look, we are a name, a birth date, a death date and an entry on findagrave.com. (And again, that is only if someone looks you up.) Otherwise, generally, you are eventually forgotten. Most people cannot remember the names of their grandparents' siblings, let alone their great grandparents' names.... SO: I try to look at all of this as a reason to live in the moment. Now is all there is, genealogy or no genealogy. But at least technology, like genealogy websites and DNA tests, are making remembrance a bit more doable for the curious descendant.

Last edited:
His first name was traced back to annual US censuses back to 1900. In all of those censuses (censi? :LOL:), he was in my hometown, being a poor struggling laborer, getting married and having a bunch of kids.

The 1890 census does not exist; burned in a fire.

The 1880 and 1870 censuses did not have him living in my hometown. He was born in the early 1860s...

A national search turned up a lot of guys with his first name, but we knew nothing about his siblings or parents -- all a complete blank. The similarity of names was key to narrowing the search. That is, as stated above, a lot of first names in my family ran in one of the two midwestern candidate families I was thinking I might be descended from. But it was all hopeful speculation, until the DNA match showed that a guy I've never met and I have the same great-great grandma in the family in question.

Some (more) observations about this whole DNA/genealogy thing:

1. Life was rough for a lot of ancestors, at least in my family. Hard-scrabble jobs, a zillion kids, extended families jammed together in one house, very limited or no education, and disease and death everywhere. In 1919-1920, on both sides of my family, at least seven relatives (six only in their twenties, at the flower of their youth) died of Spanish flu. And infant mortality was everywhere. We have it GREAT compared to what our ancestors went through. There is MUCH for my generation to be thankful for.

2. There are always amazing inaccuracies in the records, so look for general trends of proof. I have ancestors who were siblings, and each spelled their last name differently in official records! This may be because they had limited education, but geez!

3. There are a lot of surprises, some good, some not so good. For example: Good: While many of my ancestors were European immigrants, I learned that at least one line in my family runs back to pre-revolutionary colonial America. I did not have a clue about this till I did the genealogy. And bad: a great-grandfather was likely murdered, according to the coroner's notes on the death certificate.

4. The following observation may be viewed cynically (which I don't intend), but: Most of us are born, and if we have children and grandchildren, they remember us. After that, IF we have a descendant who cares to look, we are a name, a birth date, a death date and an entry on findagrave.com. (And again, that is only if someone looks you up.) Otherwise, generally, you are eventually forgotten. Most people cannot remember the names of their grandparents' siblings, let alone their great grandparents' names.... SO: I try to look at all of this as a reason to live in the moment! Now is all there is, genealogy or no genealogy. But at least technology, like genealogy websites and DNA tests, are making remembrance a bit more doable to the curious descendant.
Oftentimes when I get stuck in the census records I will look to the children. If one of them has a most unusual name I will put that name in the search and leave the surname blank and fill in the birth place and approximate year of birth. This usually works but not always.

What I find is that the census taker either misunderstood the surname given or it was misspelled. Depending on what state an ancestor lived in, there may be state census records, which were in between the census records. I think these are often overlooked but could be a big help especially between 1880 and 1900 .

So if one is armed with the fathers name it makes further census research possible. But sometimes you just can't do it, but most of the time you can.

Also NEVER over look probate records. They have been a goldmine in my research. Information I found there couldn't be found anywhere else.

Last edited:
Most of us are born, and if we have children and grandchildren, they remember us. After that, IF we have a descendant who cares to look, we are a name, a birth date, a death date and an entry on findagrave.com. (And again, that is only if someone looks you up.) Otherwise, generally, you are eventually forgotten. Most people cannot remember the names of their grandparents' siblings, let alone their great grandparents' names.... SO: I try to look at all of this as a reason to live in the moment. Now is all there is, genealogy or no genealogy.

Just wanted to say that I agree with this 100%. I always try to keep this in mind when I'm worried or anxious about some random thing or another. Everything I do and everything I am will be washed away, essentially like it never happened, within a few generations of my death. This is true even for the most famous, influential, and powerful people, although it may take a little longer. So... live for the "now" and try to enjoy every precious moment, and don't worry so much.

There are a lot of surprises, some good, some not so good.
Whenever I see all this effort to trace family roots I think of a guy who spent almost three decades researching family history, most of it done the hard way before the internet. He spent untold hours compiling all the census records, photos, newspaper articles, military records, and other information he had painstakingly gathered into a huge family history book. He ended up with almost 1,000 pages, 500 photos and the names and history of some 9,000 members of his family tree. He had the book published and sold copies of the huge tome at cost to any family member interested in having one.

A few years later he did a 23 and me test and learned his grandfather wasn't related to him and neither were most of the 9,000 people documented in his book.

I know I'm coming late to the discussion but does anyone worry about what could become of such information in the future?

Like, 10-15 years from now, some 'researcher' decides to go looking for descendants/distant cousins of Al Capone, Hitler, Bundy or some future villain and new technology is able to target individuals.

Suddenly you have 20 reporters knocking on your door. "How does it feel to know you're related to a mass murderer?" Even an adopted ancestor could land in some unpredictable category.

"How does it feel to know you're related to a mass murderer?" Even an adopted ancestor could land in some unpredictable category.

Well...

I figure we're all related to some serious bad guys at some point. No doubt everyone can go back to find slave holders, slaves, murderers, rapists, raiders, burglars, among other things.

Aren't 8% of central Asians suppose to be descendants of Genghis Khan? According to WikiPedia (so it must be true! :angel:) the mongol invasions killed maybe 5% of the humans on the planet. "If these calculations are accurate, this would make the events the hitherto deadliest acts of mass killings in human history." So there's that.

I know I found one great^4(?) grandfather who founded a bank. "Neat". Oh, the local newspaper at that time has an article all about how he embezzled from it and got into all sorts of trouble. D'oh!

I did this in the summer during a sale with 23 and Me and AncestryDNA. I preferred Ancestry dna which surprised me a little. It was a little more granular and helped me identify some 2nd and 3rd cousins that I had no memory of. One of whom I met and we helped fill in some of our common family story for each other.

Turns out our common family was truly dirt poor, which we knew, but I didn't realize how poor and how that led to terrible life choices that had generational impacts. My generation was blessed by our parents and ascended in society higher than anyone 3 and 4 generations ago could have imagined.

It was rewarding but a bit melancholy too.

Although 23andMe has restricted much of the health analysis, as others have noted you can still figure out most of that from Promethease.

The best reason to spend full retail on 23andMe? Genetic diseases and medication interactions.

For example, I learned that I'm a carrier for cystic fibrosis and hemochromatosis. I sure would've liked to have known that info when we decided to start a family, but through sheer luck my spouse doesn't share any of those double-recessive genes.

Our daughter did the testing with us, and a few years later her spouse did it right after their wedding. "No pressure." She's mentioned that she's willing to start a family. With him.

23andMe also reported that I'm allergic to a couple of cancer drugs, and oncologists routinely use genome testing to pick the optimal drug for certain cancers.

The info I've learned from my genome has finally convinced me to start adulting.

On the ancestry side, well, there's no surprises from the surname "Nordman". My spouse's ancestry also confirmed what she already knew from her grandparents and great-grandparents, practically down to the shtetl. She has the genome that could join the "Top Ten Oldest Alumni" list of our alma mater.

I Tried 23andMe Genetic Testing & Here's My Review - Military Guide

Back
Top Bottom