Anyone choosing to re-underwrite to avoid exchanges until Jan. 1, 2015?

Mulligan

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I have been reading many threads of people eagerly wanting to sign up in exchanges because of the benefits they will receive. But haven't read much about the people who will face big rate increases, and are electing to re-underwrite before end of this year to lock in underwriting pricing for another 12 months. My exchange premium will be over 3 times what I am currently paying so re-underwriting was a no-brainer. Anyone else choosing to do this?

In my case, no, bc i am still working and covered at work. I was assisting my ex-wife with this decision, and since she is well below the subsidy cut-off, i have to. Factor in any rate increase along with any gov subsidy she would get to offset the rate increase.

I guess if you can pass, it seems to be the thing to do. I wonder if the criteria has changed since it's so close to 2014. It seems pointless to reject people now if they can come back after Jan 1 and buy.

In a different situation. I may wait till after Jan 1 , then apply and pay the full cost. My area only has one carrier offering exchange plans and it looks to be their medicaid system that they put a QHP stamp on to get into the exchange.

Can you ? I was under the impression that an insurance company can no longer discriminate (underwrite) due to preexisting conditions....

Can you ? I was under the impression that an insurance company can no longer discriminate (underwrite) due to preexisting conditions....

Yes, you can. However, it is up to the insurance provider to decide if they want to. The law was written in a way that if you get insurance approval prior to January 1, you are allowed 365 days on that plan, or in other words the "policy renewal date". Take for example me. I was on BCBS, but they were dumping me Dec. 31and wanting to enroll me in one of their exchange policies. Coventry, however, will honor the policy for 365 days. So I dropped BCBS last month and signed on with Coventry. I will re-underwrite in December to get me through the end of next year. It will save me about $3k, plus have a better plan still for another year.

Yes, you can. However, it is up to the insurance provider to decide if they want to. The law was written in a way that if you get insurance approval prior to January 1, you are allowed 365 days on that plan, or in other words the "policy renewal date". Take for example me. I was on BCBS, but they were dumping me Dec. 31and wanting to enroll me in one of their exchange policies. Coventry, however, will honor the policy for 365 days. So I dropped BCBS last month and signed on with Coventry. I will re-underwrite in December to get me through the end of next year. It will save me about $3k, plus have a better plan still for another year.

+1 My Anthem policy expires December 28. Will go through the underwriting process also with Coventry in November for a Dec 28 policy start date, solely to avoid the exchanges for another year (and save at least $2,000, depending on what the Bronze plans end up pricing out at)

Edited to add:

Looking at the eHealthInsurance website, 2014 HSA-qualified policies are limited to just Anthem offerings in St. Louis. :(

The sticker price: $206.09/mo for $6,300 deductible, HSA policy. $1,752 savings for re-enrolling with Coventry in December 2013.

Last edited:
Cool ! Thanks for the information- I had no idea it was an option to delay . I will look and my options and keep Coventry in mind ! (If I can ever get into the ^%$# marketplace)

Never heard of Coventry. Are they part of a known company, like Golden Rule is United Healthcare?

We can keep our Humana for 2014 at $433 a month for DH and I with a $12k+ family deductible then 100%.

Never heard of Coventry. Are they part of a known company, like Golden Rule is United Healthcare?

We can keep our Humana for 2014 at $433 a month for DH and I with a $12k+ family deductible then 100%.

Probably a regional provider as we are in Midwest. I have heard of them for years, but had never had their insurance until now. I do know Aetna just bought them out recently.

Back
Top Bottom