anyone get their health insurance increases for 2012 yet?

frank

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I haven't recieved my increase in the mail yet and was wondering if anyone else had. I can't hardly believe there will be no increase, but it would be nice.

Our increase was the lowest in 5 years, a 5.6% increase and only 2x CPI.

ours is usually between 10 and 15 percent annually.

We received our renewal info the first week of December this year. Up 10 percent.

Ours went up just under 15% (same as last year) for the retiree/spouse coverage from my former company.

The reason given was "high claim experience" which drove up costs (all the old pharts are ill :LOL: ).

The rates will drop 66% from the 2012 rate (even more if there are further increases for 2013) since DW/me will be on Medicare at that time. Of course, I'll have to add in our respective monthly Part B contribution for whatever rate it is at that time...

Massachusetts approved a 4.8% average rate increase for 2012. Insurers asked for more last year, but got smacked down by the state

Mine is a dollar lower because coverage is far less than before. I'll be paying over twice as much for my individual prescriptions, which already were not cheap since one has no generic equivalent available. I didn't look beyond prescriptions to see how bad the rest of the coverage is.

At any rate, while the premium has not increased the sum of premium + prescriptions has gone up 24% for me this year, assuming the pharmaceutical companies do not raise their prices even a penny.

Last edited:
Just received my January bill today. I hope this is the month they are supposed to increase, because if it is mine is unchanged. It is still $1 less than what it was when I started individual insurance about a year and a half ago, so I definitely have no room to complain, yet.

Until I started reading this forum I really never paid much attention budgets/costs. But I happened to walk past the private clinic where we have insurance and went inside to pay the monthly bill and it was S/.201 or $75.00. I do not know when it changed but about 8 years ago when I first joined it was S/.165 or $61.00 so I guess about 2.5% a year, which is inline with inflation.

Up 12% for DW and I, and 10% for our twenty-something daughter. The insurer uses one year wide bands for individual insurance, so some of this is our getting older, and some is the usual...

My Aetna HSA plan will increase 7.1% starting in January.

Our company's plan increase about 9%...

But we now have a lower cost option that pays 70% after the high deductible instead of 100%, so the actual cost to me is a lot less... but then again I have a lot less coverage...

Our retiree medical went up $57/mo for both of us combined, DH's increased $44 and mine increased $13.

My group plan stayed constant for 4 years at $80/mo, then went up 175% starting 1/1/11. No increase for 1/1/12 but the letter said it will definitely go up for 1/1/13.

Mine went up almost 9%. I turn 60 in 2012. That should throw me into a whole other bracket, I'm not looking forward to that increase.

Our policy went up 17% on the policy we buy through the company we own--we insure as employees. On top of that, carrier unbundled broker commission and required broker to collect direcly from us for another .5%. Broker identified an option through the state business assn that offered better coverage with a lower deductible (2500 vs 3500) for a slightly lower rate and it included his commission so we have changed carriers again--Regence to Premera Blue.
Nwsteve

The portion I pay out of my paycheck is going to be up about 16%. Still, that's only around $170 per month.

And what do I get for that increase? A $500 higher deductible and an out of pocket maximum which is $2000 higher than this year.

Megacorp retiree medical/dental went up 4.5% for 2012. Next year I'll be on Medicare with a supplemental Megacorp policy. Don't know the cost for that yet. They don't supplement dental after 65 so that will be all out of pocket. Total cost will probably increase. Still not bad considering what others pay.

Going forward I expect medical costs to continue to increase faster than inflation and coverage to decrease.

DW and I both began Medicare Part B in 2010. Our premiums for 2010 and 2011 have been $115.40 each per month. in 2012 the Medicare Part B premium will be $99.90 each per month. Now our only problem is what to do with all of that extra money.:)

My megacorp retiree benefits for medical stayed the same, 0 per month. My DH's megacorp retiree benefits went down from 35.00 a month to 7.19 a month. My dental benefits went up from 22.00 a month to 26.00 a month covering both DH and me. His dental benefits cost nothing a month to cover both of us. Once we get to medicare age, we have to apply for Part A and Part B with our company insurance as secondary. At that point our medical expenses will be going up.

Mine's going up roughly 4.5%. I have several choices for companies and plans withing those companies, and last year I switched from my long-time carrier Blue Cross Blue Shield to a relative newcomer to my employer's (DoD/Fed Govt.) lineup. BCBS costs shot up dramatically at that time and I researched till I found a company that I felt was pretty close in coverage, but less cost. I ended up spending over $110 less per month and so far, I haven't seen any reduction in benefits. In fact, my co-pays & deductibles are actually lower, with lower premiums to boot. I wish I was as good at picking the stock market's moves...

Back
Top Bottom