anyone get their health insurance increases for 2012 yet?

Corporate policy with Blue Cross Shield of IL policy for Fiscal 2012 actually was about 2% lower....but that was mainly due to a high claims record in Fiscal 2010 from a few individuals, which jacked up premiums for Fiscal 2011. Can't recall what my company's dental coverage did...I think went up maybe 10%.

I have my own individual policy in Missouri from Anthem (Blue Cross/Blue Shield). Renewal rate for a $5,500 deductible policy went from $548/yr to $606 (10.6% increase).

I had switched to Anthem for Fiscal 2011 for the first time, as they were significantly lower than all of the competitors (we're talking around 30%-40% lower!). So even though my Fiscal 2012 renewal policy will be 10% higher, it's still substantially lower than any of the other HDHP quotes I had this month from their competition.

BCBS Luminous went up 21% for me. Partially bracket creep -partial medical inflation.
Hopefully not claim based. I only hit $2,400 of a $5k deductible.

we have increases every year. usually in the range from 10 to 18 percent. You have to wonder how many years they can have increases like that before it becomes unaffordable. I still haven.t gotten my increase notice for this year but gossip on the internet says thay are asking for 9.6 percent.

Got my increase notice today. Increase of about 9.3%. My increase happens each February (annual anniversary the month when I started).

I have BCBSIL and my monthly premium cost actually went DOWN rather significantly for 2011 and 2012. The letter I received said the drop was due to fewer and less costly claims. (A couple of folks with major medical problems passed away, which accounted for the greater part of those savings.)

My monthly cost for 2012 dropped from $167.59 down to $158.75, a savings of 5.27%. The cost for the current year (2011) had dropped 8.37% from the 2010 cost.

(My former employer pays 75% & I pay 25%.)

Do insurance companies generally change their rates in January? Im on an individual plan Lumenous BC BS and my bill for Jan. and now Feb. is still unchanged. I find that hard to believe, I am safe for another year. I started my plan about a year and a half ago with August being my anniversery date of my plan.

Do insurance companies generally change their rates in January? Im on an individual plan Lumenous BC BS and my bill for Jan. and now Feb. is still unchanged. I find that hard to believe, I am safe for another year. I started my plan about a year and a half ago with August being my anniversery date of my plan.

I don't know what they usually do. My federal (group) BCBS plan charged last year's rates for the January 3rd payment, and they will charge the 2012 rates for the February 1st payment.

Maybe your rates change on your anniversary date for an individual plan?

W2R said:
I don't know what they usually do. My federal (group) BCBS plan charged last year's rates for the January 3rd payment, and they will charge the 2012 rates for the February 1st payment.

Maybe your rates change on your anniversary date for an individual plan?

I assume it must be next August, and not in Jan. My rate when down last Jan. about $12, then went up about $11 around the 1st anniversary last fall. Maybe Im good until then. Im certainly not going to call and ask :)

I assume it must be next August, and not in Jan. My rate when down last Jan. about $12, then went up about $11 around the 1st anniversary last fall. Maybe Im good until then. Im certainly not going to call and ask :)

I wouldn't either! :LOL:

Our HDHP premium went down about $5 ($339 to $334) in January but I'm not sure why. Our anniversary date is May 1.

My HI is "free" from my employer, but my "retiree" insurance from a former employer went up 11.4%, from $120.55 to $134.38. This includes both medical and dental.

UHC went from $756/month to $850/month, and that's with a 50% subsidy from megacorp. Very good ins however.

My biggest ER concern (at age 59) is what the cost will be by the time I reach Medicare.

(I'm afraid I know the answer to that Q.....maybe Obama will save me)

B

Back
Top Bottom