Anyone here who does not like taking medications?

They keep lowering the threshold for BP and statins which is ridiculous. Of course your friend felt better off the medication because it makes you tired. Statins have never been proven to work. 14 years ago when I went on BP medication the guidelines made sense and now they don’t. I read that most people should never be on more than 5 medications.

Well into my 60's, the only med my Dr wants me on is a statin since my cholesterol is about 250 and that is mostly LDL. I am resisting this advice since my other lipid info is pretty good - high HCL, low Trigs and descent LDL/Total ratio. As mentioned in other threads I am working at fine tuning my eating preferences to see what works for me.

Sadly, there are no studies that show if statins actually help people like me (no diagnosed CVD, no big risk factors other that high Total and LDL numbers) in the long run (10-30 years). All the clinical studies are usually five to seven years.

FWIW, my mother took blood pressure meds for 30 years and lived to be 92, in mostly good physical health up until her late 80's.

Often it's not a good/bad choice. BP meds, statins and such can be helpful to those who are at risk. The problem is that the medical profession can't be sure who is at risk

They keep lowering the threshold for BP and statins which is ridiculous. Of course your friend felt better off the medication because it makes you tired. Statins have never been proven to work.

Ok, the comments on the thread have become absurd. When are the flat earth and vaccine people going to start.

Well into my 60's, the only med my Dr wants me on is a statin since my cholesterol is about 250 and that is mostly LDL. I am resisting this advice since my other lipid info is pretty good - high HCL, low Trigs and descent LDL/Total ratio. As mentioned in other threads I am working at fine tuning my eating preferences to see what works for me.

Sadly, there are no studies that show if statins actually help people like me (no diagnosed CVD, no big risk factors other that high Total and LDL numbers) in the long run (10-30 years). All the clinical studies are usually five to seven years.

FWIW, my mother took blood pressure meds for 30 years and lived to be 92, in mostly good physical health up until her late 80's.

Often it's not a good/bad choice. BP meds, statins and such can be helpful to those who are at risk. The problem is that the medical profession can't be sure who is at risk
I had a co-w*rker who was an awesome human. He was obese, perhaps morbidly obese. Always amazed me he got off his BP meds, this guy was a picture of hypertension, red-face, wheezing and puffing, but he swore his BP was close enough to normal just from herbs.

I just learned he dropped dead last week at 60.

I had a co-w*rker who was an awesome human. He was obese, perhaps morbidly obese. Always amazed me he got off his BP meds, this guy was a picture of hypertension, red-face, wheezing and puffing, but he swore his BP was close enough to normal just from herbs.

I just learned he dropped dead last week at 60.

Good point. Meds, including BP and Statins have their uses. Its not as simple as they are all good or all bad.

BS: I think your comments are absurd!

Actually, if you are over age 60 (as you say you are), then the studies I've seen actually found an INVERSE relationship between LDL-C and mortality. In other words, if you are over 60 you are likely to live longer if your LDL-C is relatively high, than if it is lower.

Here is one such study, and also the conclusions from the study:

https://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/6/6/e010401

"Conclusions High LDL-C is inversely associated with mortality in most people over 60 years. This finding is inconsistent with the cholesterol hypothesis (ie, that cholesterol, particularly LDL-C, is inherently atherogenic). Since elderly people with high LDL-C live as long or longer than those with low LDL-C, our analysis provides reason to question the validity of the cholesterol hypothesis. Moreover, our study provides the rationale for a re-evaluation of guidelines recommending pharmacological reduction of LDL-C in the elderly as a component of cardiovascular disease prevention strategies."

Doctors are sometimes misinformed. My guess is that sometimes they just believe what the drug reps are telling them (about drugs like statins), rather than doing their own independent research to find out what the latest studies have found. That is why I will never take any drug prescribed to me until I do my own research first.

Actually, if you are over age 60 (as you say you are), then the studies I've seen actually found an INVERSE relationship between LDL-C and mortality. In other words, if you are over 60 you are likely to live longer if your LDL-C is relatively high, than if it is lower.

Here is one such study, and also the conclusions from the study:

https://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/6/6/e010401

"Conclusions High LDL-C is inversely associated with mortality in most people over 60 years. This finding is inconsistent with the cholesterol hypothesis (ie, that cholesterol, particularly LDL-C, is inherently atherogenic). Since elderly people with high LDL-C live as long or longer than those with low LDL-C, our analysis provides reason to question the validity of the cholesterol hypothesis. Moreover, our study provides the rationale for a re-evaluation of guidelines recommending pharmacological reduction of LDL-C in the elderly as a component of cardiovascular disease prevention strategies."

Doctors are sometimes misinformed. My guess is that sometimes they just believe what the drug reps are telling them (about drugs like statins), rather than doing their own independent research to find out what the latest studies have found. That is why I will never take any drug prescribed to me until I do my own research first.

Thank you immensely for this

Here's a cheerful story. I dropped weight from 190 to 183 recently. My BP usually ranges from 120 / 80 to 140 / 90 (before weight loss). I just checked my BP at the drug store, and it was down to approx 100 / 70. Checked it twice, same result !! Not on any BP med, never have been.

I don't like to take meds if I don't need to but I would take meds before I would eat anything the OP mentioned.

Wait, aren’t all the over-the-counter supplements and one-a-day vitamins “ drugs”, just maybe not meds. My DH is smug about no longer needing BP or cholesterol meds but swallows no fewer than 7 GNC preps.

Yes, a common side effect of lisinopril is a dry cough. I have a friend that takes it, and he is coughing all the time. And here is another side-effect of lisinopril, that my friend just found out about recently: it lowers hemoglobin, and can result in anemia. He found that out when he went to donate blood recently.......Hb was only 10.0, so they won't take his blood anymore (it has to be 13 or above). So he looked up the side effects of lisinopril, and sure enough...........it can reduce hemoglobin in some people, resulting in mild anemia.

Just confirms to me that the side effects of these drugs can be dangerous, as well as annoying. Of course his doctor never mentioned anything to him about lisinopril possibly lowering hemoglobin when he prescribed it.:(

+1 The side effects seem to be seldom stated by the physician unless you ask. Some critics of the US Health Care system feel that pharmaceutical companies are exerting far too much influence over physician judgment and propensity to use a drug prescription as the answer to any medical issue. I've seen some evidence of this in doctor visits in recent years. They seem almost too eager to write prescriptions.

Jeff Foxworthy has a good bit regarding drug side effects:

Ms. Ladall lived alone across the street from us, her DH had passed many years earlier. Her daily routine was walking around the block, then a few years later , just up and down the street, then finally just in the culdesac. (Had a daily caretaker in the end) She didn’t take any meds other than B12 shots “for vitality” lol. She hated meds and considered daily exercise to be her natural medication. Died at 94 of old age. No chronic conditions. Great example of good genes plus good lifestyle choices and a measure of good luck!

Interesting article on how the keep lowering the high blood pressure guidelines

https://www.disabled-world.com/health/cardiovascular/hypertension/bp-100-plus-age.php
*goal of maintaining a blood pressure at or near 140/80 (now 115/75) is based on drug company hype, not science. These numbers are designed to sell drugs by converting healthy people into patients. If high blood pressure were dangerous, then lowering it with hypertension drugs would increase lifespan. Yet, clinical trials involving hypertension medication show no increased lifespan among users when compared to non-users...

When did the guideline for treatment change to 115/75?

The lower guidelines for BP are ridiculous.

Interesting article on how the keep lowering the high blood pressure guidelines

https://www.disabled-world.com/health/cardiovascular/hypertension/bp-100-plus-age.php

I'd have a lot more faith in these 'guidelines' if I didn't see so many drug commercials on TV (when I watch normal TV) that show beautiful people who take the drug enjoying an idealistic existence while mentioning side effects in rapid fire voice overs. It's obvious these folks are very serious about hawking their drugs, which raises doubts in my mind.

IIRC, there is even a couple who regularly bathe outside in his and hers bathtubs! Such a life!

I am a strong believer in Evidence Based Medicine. It's a real thing and science based.

I like conventional medicine and would not be here without it.

I have had Type 1 diabetes for 58 years this coming November. I got it when I was six.

The nice man at the tire place asked me about the AirCast boot that I have been wearing since 1991 for a foot problem due to the complications of my diabetes. He stated that he was sure that he would never get it because of his faith in Jesus. I sure with I had known that at age six. He is sure that he is going to Heaven in good health.

I take 47 pills per day and approx 9 shots per day. I have 23 Dr written and prescribed Rxs. I take many pills just for the maintenance of my kidney transplant. I take a couple to mange the side effects of some others. I have all my doctors and the transplant clinic review the necessity of each medication. They are all required for a continued comfortable life. I have good Drs whose advice I value. My list takes up a whole page and both my wife and I keep a copy of each other's list in our wallets.

I have chronic medical problems resulting from the diabetes. Many of the problems can be somewhat alleviated by the use of prescription meds. Without them I would not be numbered among the living.

I am not complaining. I am happy to be here and take my meds as prescribed.

I would surely have died without my kidney transplant. To maintain the transplanted kidney I have to take a med that causes cancer! I had a simple choice die or take a pill everyday that causes cancer in the long run. Well, 22 years later, I am still happy to be here.

Mike D.

I am a strong believer in Evidence Based Medicine.

I would surely have died without my kidney transplant. To maintain the transplanted kidney I have to take a med that causes cancer! I had a simple choice die or take a pill everyday that causes cancer in the long run. Well, 22 years later, I am still happy to be here.

Mike D.

Like my old grand pappy used to say, “You can’t argue with success.”

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom