Anyone here who does not like taking medications?

I am on one drug now, an alpha blocker that I have tried coming off several times but the symptoms always return.

Even with my paroxysmal Afib I am not on any drugs yet but eventually I will be if I don't get it fixed with surgery (ablation).

Your not being very specific about what Meds you hate but when I hear this question it usually has to do with either cholesterol or blood pressure. Before you ask the internet if you can not take them you should go visit someone that has had a massive heart attack and then look what it does to the family.

Same here. I was on a few meds but went to a holistic doctor and now I’m off all meds. I do take a lot of supplements, but they are normal things - vitamins and minerals. All needed based on extensive blood work. Most significant change was in the diet.

I would take a med if needed, but I’d explore alternatives first. Never met a med that didn’t have a negative side effect. Worth it if the only option, but not to be taken casually.

What do you eat more of and less of? Just curious.

I take 81mg of Aspirin per day per the protocol at our healthcare facility and doctor's recommendation. It's completely optional. I also take COQ10 and Omega 3 supplements per my wife's recommendation and it's not optional.

Some people need medication for one reason or another. There's nothing wrong with that. However I would never trade medication recommended by a doctor with homeopathic alternatives. That would be unwise and potentially dangerous.

I take one for BP and another to slow the heart rate (metoprolol) and folic acid that is to counter the effects of another drug. I use one of those plastic trays with the day of the week and time on it to keep track of what I took and when. Oh, and 81mg aspirin and another for stomach acid every other day. I haven't had any issues with the metoprolol so for me it is working as it's supposed to.

Five years ago I was taking one drug for stomach acid. I don't like it, but the alternative is worse. A few years ago going into the doctor's office I saw a guy exiting holding a gallon-sized ziplock bag that had to have at least 25, maybe 30 prescription bottles in it. So no matter how many you take there's going to be someone in worse shape than you are.

I had the famous dry cough with lisinopril so my doctor changed to another drug, which has caused no side effects that I'm aware of. My BP is lower than during my working days, but still too high for no drugs. I don't like taking drugs, but I'm pretty sure I'd like a stroke even less. DW and I eat a fairly strict low-carb diet. We both have good cholesterol and other blood tests are always good. But my BP is not controllable with diet alone.

I don't like taking drugs, but I'm pretty sure I'd like a stroke even less.

Amen to that!

There's not a whole lot of things that absolutely terrify me but a stroke is one of them. Like probably most of you I've seen what they can do.

So if taking a few pills a day has a good chance of reducing my probability of having a stroke, I'll take them and be happy to have the opportunity to do so.

Amen to that!

There's not a whole lot of things that absolutely terrify me but a stroke is one of them. Like probably most of you I've seen what they can do.

So if taking a few pills a day has a good chance of reducing my probability of having a stroke, I'll take them and be happy to have the opportunity to do so.

This is exactly why I am good with taking the valsartan, especially at the relatively low dose of 80 mg, as my BP is well controlled with it, and I have seen too many people fail to control their BP (in whatever way works for them, diet alone is enough for some, not for me) and pay the consequence.

It was frustrating that the Dr seemed clueless about the lisinopril side effects back at the time, however. It was a cheap choice and the valsartan was not available as a generic either, so for the first few yrs on valsartan was paying as much as $1.10 per pill (valsartan is now like $1.22 for 90 pills). Still worth it to get the control and avoid the side effects of lisinopril.

What do you eat more of and less of? Just curious.

Similar to a paleo or keto diet. My doctor didn’t call it anything by name, just said, no grains and no dairy. The pretty much means you eat mean, fruit, vegetables and nuts. In the beginning, I was eating too much sugar (it’s not grain or dairy), but now I’m doing much better on that.

My DGF's fist cousin switched jobs and wasn't covered for a time period. He had high BP and unfortunately he had an aneurism and died at 56 yo.

I generally avoid taking meds as much as possible (even over the counter meds like Tylenol). Having worked in the biotech/pharma industry, I am all too aware about the often unintended consequences of taking meds. But it is always a balance. Some meds can greatly improve one’s quality of life and be worth the risk.

Last edited:
63 and no medications. I take Vitamin D, a multi vitamin and a probiotic. Exercise 3 days a week.

I don't.

Fortunately the only thing I have take, or had to take, in the last 10 years or so has been a daily dose of vitamin D as instructed by my physician.

It irks me that most doctors would rather prescribe a med. to relieve symptoms, than talk to the patient about lifestyle/diet changes that could help them stay off meds in the first place.

It's sad that your doc is such a dud. Mine worked on me for years to lose weight, exercise, eat healthy, etc., before succumbing and prescribing BP meds. Last year, I finally got the message and took off 50+ pounds and now I'm off the BP meds. The procrastination was not his fault, it was mine. IMHO, patients not listening/changing is more of a problem than docs not talking. But it's nice to blame someone else I guess........

I'm also able to stay supplement and vitamin pill free by proper dietary choices. My and doc's feelings that many supplements (so many fads!!) have negative side effects was substantiated on a recent PBS documentary.

OTOH, legitimate medical needs for prescribed meds do come up and should be utilized. DW is battling cancer so we're well aware of how chemo, radiation, hormone suppression medication, etc., is helping her. So far, so good :)

Last edited:
I dont take meds. Not because I want to preserve my liver, because I dont want anything else destroying it but alcohol.

Same here. Haven't been to a doctor for 20 years or so. I'm 66 so keep getting closer to the age of doing/eating whatever one wants because I've lived the majority of my life disease free. At my given age, if I develop an acute illness, I know I will have lived most of my life disease free and the frustrations/irritations of dealing with insurance companies has been avoided.

I wish I did not have to take any meds . I take 2 BP medicines . Many years ago I went to a doctor who at the time I deemed a crack . Years later because I refused to take BP meds I am stage 3 kidney disease . Oh I drink my water 7 16 oz glasses a day but your kidney can never repair itself. Everytime I visit my nephrologist I pray my creatnine and GFR are good . last week I went my creat. level was (1.5 ) and my GFR was 50% for me this was great.

When you have this type of kidney you cannot take meds that flow through your kidney , so I am limited to what I will ever be able to take . My Neph. told me when I go through the aisle at the grocery store that sells iboprophin to not stop . I have arthritis in my ankle ( bad sometimes ) I cannot take meds ...he says drink more water . I want to say from experience , don't mess around .

HBP runs in my mom’s side of the family. Many get it in early 30’s despite being very healthy. I had a client once that had a stroke at 30 from not taking his medications. He was healthy at the time and really regretted not taking the medication.

I would only take a drug if it was essential in the short term, and there was a plan to get me off of it. I've been researching side effects for the drugs my parents are taking, and it's very sobering. Most of the side effects are considered "normal" signs of aging, so they're mostly ignored.

I take thyroid hormone due to low T3, caused by mercury poisoning. I also take several supplements to counter the other effects of mercury. Once the mercury problem is dealt with, I should be able to eliminate the hormone and most of the supplements. I will continue taking vitamin D in the winter, when I'm not able to sunbathe.

A good friend of ours , the smartest guy in the room . Used to tour with us all on our motorcycles . All of the sudden he thought he didn't need to take BP meds . He even told me he felt better when he did not take them . About a year after that he had a stroke , now he rides one of those scooters like you see at Walmart . He smiles and mumbles now . We really miss riding with Wayne.

A good friend of ours , the smartest guy in the room . Used to tour with us all on our motorcycles . All of the sudden he thought he didn't need to take BP meds . He even told me he felt better when he did not take them . About a year after that he had a stroke , now he rides one of those scooters like you see at Walmart . He smiles and mumbles now . We really miss riding with Wayne.

I am very sorry for what happened to your friend. However, I think it's useful to look at the whole body of evidence on whether a particular med. does more harm than good (overall, to a large group of people) rather than trying to draw too many conclusions based on a sample size of one. Even with blood pressure meds, there is plenty of evidence out there that treating mild hypertention with drugs is not always a good idea. Here is one article about that, along with a quote from the article:

Blood pressure drugs for mild hypertension: Not proven to prevent heart attacks, strokes, or early death

"Given the possibility that future trials will identify at best a small, currently nonapparent benefit, it seems clear that the best thing for doctors to do would be simply to tell patients the truth—that while the best current evidence doesn’t support routine treatment of mild hypertension, we really don’t know for sure. But we do know this: Emphasizing far more effective—and evidence-based—approaches, such as exercising, quitting smoking, and following a Mediterranean diet, seems to be a very good idea. And besides, they work."

Here's another one worth reading, and another quote:

https://www.newsmax.com/health/health-news/stroke-blood-pressure-drugs/2015/06/02/id/648189/

"Taking blood pressure drugs is viewed as the best way to avoid stroke, but researchers at the University of Alabama report that the risk remains elevated despite medication. Also, the more drugs used to lower blood pressure, the higher the risk.

Their study involved 26,785 participants 45 and older. That group included 12,327 people with successfully controlled blood pressure (systolic upper number less than 140 mmHG) and 4,090 whose blood pressure was unsuccessfully treated. The researchers followed them for six years and found that more than 820 had suffered strokes.

Scientists found the risk of stroke went up by a third for each blood pressure medication taken. People who needed three or more medications were at a 248 percent higher risk than those whose normal systolic blood pressure was less than 120mmHG.

That risk is similar to people whose blood pressure is high but who are not taking any drugs to control it, researchers said."

I have no idea what your friend's medical history was, how severe his hypertension was, whether he had ever smoked, what kind of diet he ate, how much exercise he got, etc.. All of those things can be important with regard to stroke risk. I am not saying here that people should never take drugs for hypertention, because clearly there are some folks that should. However, if I had mild hypertension, I think I would first look into lifestyle changes I could make that might improve my condition, before I agreed to go on a med. for it.

My mom had a slight stroke while on BP meds, now she is on cumodin to thin her blood, she was told as we age our blood thickens which leads to stroke more than high blood pressure.

You're not being very specific about what Meds you hate but when I hear this question it usually has to do with either cholesterol or blood pressure. Before you ask the internet if you cannot take them you should go visit someone that has had a massive heart attack and then look what it does to the family.

I listened to a health podcast from a medical school back when they broadened to the criteria for statins to include about half the population over 50. One doctor pointed out that, in the decades since they're been prescribing statins, the actual incidence of heart disease hasn't really decreased. I'm sure there are other variables such as increasing sedentary lifestyles and poor nutrition, or the aging of the population, but if statins actually did prevent heart disease, why haven't we seen a dramatic drop? The doctor in the podcast said that high cholesterol is an abnormal lab result. Period. You need to look at the whole picture.

Have been on synthroid for decades. Also voluntarily using Lansoprazole (Prevacid generic) in lowest dosage, for acid reflux. I could possibly treat the reflux by eating almost nothing I like, but where's the fun in that? I do worry about the *low* stomach acid caused by the Lansoprazole, which allegedly reduces the amount of good things that are absorbed when the stomach has the *normal* amount of acid. Calcium being one of them. Don't want to get weak bones. Not taking anything else, although my doc wanted me to go on a statin for cholesterol. My bp is almost always below 130 / 90, which I am happy with, but sometimes spikes to 160 / 100 which is alarming, but I don't want to goo on meds since it happens rarely.

I was med-free until recently turning the big 60. I was convinced by urologist to take Finasteride and Alfuzosin, two scary-sounding drugs to reduce the size of my prostate. I have not been able to find any reliable research that showed any natural ways to accomplish prostate reduction. Side affects after two months on these pill are not too bad, maybe an increase in feelings of indigestion/heartburn.

Back
Top Bottom