Join Early Retirement Today

Bariatric Surgery and Diabetes
Old 03-27-2012, 01:46 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Bariatric Surgery and Diabetes

According to this report, on the news last night:

NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams: News and videos from the evening broadcast- msnbc.com

bariatric surgery can rapidly "cure" diabetes, even before the weight loss kicks in. The report said that for some, blood sugars can return to normal "within hours of the surgery."

Did I hear it right? If so, there is something completely weird and unexpected going on. You screw around with the stomach, and then a few hours later blood sugars improve?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2012, 02:30 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

I heard that, and it didn't make any sense to me. I chalked it up to the level of 'journalism' that exists today, and figured if there is anything to it, we will see it pop up in a more serious format soon.

More and more, I'm finding it useful to let all this 'instant news' age a bit.

-ERD50

Old 03-27-2012, 02:30 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I find it strange that, if significant, this is just being noticed. They have been performing surgery on diabetics for years. You would think that if a great number of these patients had their diabetes "go away", someone would have noticed.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:35 PM   #4

I don't think this is new. 60 minutes covered it more than a year ago.
Old 03-27-2012, 03:09 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Why limit this to the obese? We should start removing stomachs on any and all T2 diabetics. And T1-s may have to prove that they are exempt from this surgery.

Ha
Old 03-27-2012, 03:47 PM   #6
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post

NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams: News and videos from the evening broadcast- msnbc.com

bariatric surgery can rapidly "cure" diabetes, even before the weight loss kicks in. The report said that for some, blood sugars can return to normal "within hours of the surgery."

Did I hear it right? If so, there is something completely weird and unexpected going on. You screw around with the stomach, and then a few hours later blood sugars improve?
Well, I am not really sure - - aren't the patients are put on a pretty severe liquid diet once they can eat? Better nutrition might be contributing to the lowering in blood sugar.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 03:52 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Well, I am not really sure - - aren't the patients are put on a pretty severe liquid diet once they can eat? Better nutrition might be contributing to the lowering in blood sugar.
According to what I heard yesterday on NPR, it goes beyond diet and weight loss:

Quote:
After the surgery, patients would sometimes get better within hours or days. And when that happens it's clear there's something more going on than just the effects of getting thinner. One theory is that re-arranging the digestive system affects important hormones.

"There appears to be an increased production of special hormones from the intestinal tract and these hormones are known to directly stimulate the pancreas to make more insulin," Schauer said.
Weight-Loss Surgery May Help Treat, Even Reverse, Diabetes : Shots - Health Blog : NPR

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 03:55 PM   #8
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
According to what I heard yesterday on NPR, it goes beyond diet and weight loss:

Weight-Loss Surgery May Help Treat, Even Reverse, Diabetes : Shots - Health Blog : NPR
Oh!!! I see.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:13 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:

Using the term "cure" in this context just means the news agency has it's head someplace it shouldn't be.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:19 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Maybe when the scalpels come out, the pancreas cells say "These guys are getting serious, we better stop screwing around."
Old 03-27-2012, 06:29 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

A friend had this surgery 6-8 months ago because of Type II diabetes issues.

Now he's not half the man he used to be.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:43 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Jenny Ruhl sheds a dose of reality on this story of DM cures, also highlights conflicts of the principle author of the study.

Diabetes Update: No, WLS Does NOT Cure Diabetes--Study By Doctor with Conflict of Interest

Executive summary: "Don't get your hopes up."
Old 03-28-2012, 07:20 AM   #13
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Jenny Ruhl sheds a dose of reality on this story of DM cures, also highlights conflicts of the principle author of the study.

Diabetes Update: No, WLS Does NOT Cure Diabetes--Study By Doctor with Conflict of Interest

Good article. Also from my perspective, I don't consider A1Cs below 6 to mean no longer diabetic. If that were the case I could declare myself non-diabetic.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:19 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Alas, the average news reporter is very ignorant on economics, science and religion. In fact, I am not sure what most reporters are knowledgable on. The Blogosphere is even worse.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:41 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post

Thanks for posting that link. Good to see that there are two sides to the story. As is usually the case the reality is probably somewhere in between. Unfortunately one side got very big headlines yesterday. We all know that perception is more important than reality.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:56 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

Yes, this is true. This is not new news. The problem is, Doctors do not know why, the diabetes goes aways after surgery. It just happens.

It is not a cure for all diabetes. I've been a type 2 diabetic for years.
Runs in the family. No one is over weight. Onset was late. My case,
Old 03-28-2012, 03:13 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Agreed it's sensationalism, but if a few people truly have immediate and lasting improvements after we mess around with their tummies, then we have an interesting new avenue of inquiry to pursue.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:46 PM   #18

Quote:
Agreed it's sensationalism, but if a few people truly have immediate and lasting improvements after we mess around with their tummies, then we have an interesting new avenue of inquiry to pursue.
Agree 100%.
Old 03-30-2012, 01:09 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Alas, the average news reporter is very ignorant on economics, science and religion. In fact, I am not sure what most reporters are knowledgable on. The Blogosphere is even worse.
I have noticed over the years that on any subject in which I am knowledgeable, they report wrong facts. I wonder about the subjects that I am not experienced in.

Mike D.

- R. Earth
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 06:47 PM   #20
Dryer sheet wannabe

IMO this is a sick and dangerous approach to medicine. Performing "wonder" procedures that "cure" diseases without knowing why. It reminds me of another "wonder cure" the frontal lobotomy.