Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Beginning of a GOP alternative to Obamacare?
Old 08-19-2015, 12:44 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Beginning of a GOP alternative to Obamacare?

Two GOP candidates, Rubio and Walker, published similar proposals to replace Obamacare yesterday.

The ideas will likely end up as the GOP nominee's alternative to Obamacare, as they seem to be gaining support in conservative circles.

Quote:
1. Allow Americans to buy coverage across state lines.
2. Give people who don't get insurance through their employer a tax credit so that they can purchase a private plan.
3. Create special "high-risk pools" for the sick who can't get coverage otherwise.
Walker and Rubio explain their plans to repeal Obamacare: They aren't pretty.

Item #3 is basically their solution for people with preexisting conditions. It is likely to mean very expensive coverage but Congress would have to provide subsidies to make it affordable for a lot of people.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2015, 12:51 PM   #2

It sounds like what we already have, but with additional competition. It's only a stepping stone until we get 100% free coverage.

I just wonder who will pay for it.

FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply
Old 08-19-2015, 12:56 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I don't understand politicians focus on healthcare costs being mostly about insurance reform. Kind of like nibbling on the edge of a sandwich that is rotten in the middle. Insurance costs are the symptom, not the problem. Maybe its just too complicated or controversial to address the real issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 08-19-2015, 01:10 PM   #4

Hot topic enabled on this thread. Let's keep the discussion on health care proposals and their impact on us and away from the politicians and political parties.
Old 08-19-2015, 01:12 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
I don't understand politicians focus on healthcare costs being mostly about insurance reform. Kind of like nibbling on the edge of a sandwich that is rotten in the middle. Insurance costs are the symptom, not the problem. Maybe its just too complicated or controversial to address the real issue. ....
+1 especially given the medical loss ratio limits in the current law.... health insurance costs effectively become a function of medical costs, and no one seems to be making any proposals to address medical costs.

I haven't read the links yet but i would not want to see medical underwriting return in any way shape or form. I like the idea of crossing state lines but the implementation of that could be a bit of a can of worms.
pb4uski is offline   Reply
Old 08-19-2015, 01:45 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
...no one seems to be making any proposals to address medical costs...
Stop getting sick?

Quote:
I haven't read the links yet but i would not want to see medical underwriting return in any way shape or form.
Seems to me that health insurance doesn't work effectively when risks aren't pooled.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply
Old 08-19-2015, 01:45 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

I am usually very much against any sort of government regulation but I think to clear up the problems created by the old policies that mixed the ideas of insurance and healthcare some more government involvement is required.

I think the biggest change would be requiring posting pricing for all services. Posting hourly rates is a step in the right direction.
Old 08-19-2015, 01:53 PM   #8

The US healthcare system is very expensive. It provides good care for many people, but there are also many people who it fails. The rest of the world has come up with lots of solutions involving single payer systems and private insurance, but they all involve considerable government regulation to guarantee care at an affordable cost. The US will have to accept the need for regulation and modification of entirely free market principles if it is to find it's own solution.

Current AA: 65% Equity Funds / 20% Bonds / 7% Stable Value /3% Cash / 5% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply
Old 08-19-2015, 02:02 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post

...I haven't read the links yet but i would not want to see medical underwriting return in any way shape or form....
+1000

The deal breaker for me, thumbs up or thumbs down.
Old 08-19-2015, 02:05 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
+1000

The deal breaker for me, thumbs up or thumbs down.

It would great for me to bring back underwriting....I would save hundreds a month based on how my insurance went up when it ended this year. Until of course its my turn in the barrel, and I am sure it wouldn't take much of a health issue to toss me into it.

Old 08-19-2015, 02:07 PM   #11

If Obamacare went away my husband and I would have to go back to work effectively ending our early retirement.

He's had controlled high blood pressure for more than 10 years and when I looked into private plans before ACA was implemented the cost of insurance was undoable for us.
Old 08-19-2015, 02:19 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

The only engineered scheme that would reduce my expenses without truly addressing healthcare costs would be increasing HSA deductions, or being able to itemize healthcare premiums on my tax return. Of course that scheme does absolutely zero for poor people.

Old 08-19-2015, 02:22 PM   #13

The across state lines is concerning, as it negates any local input on the types of coverage required. One size does not fit all States.
Old 08-19-2015, 02:40 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
It would great for me to bring back underwriting....I would save hundreds a month based on how my insurance went up when it ended this year. Until of course its my turn in the barrel, and I am sure it wouldn't take much of a health issue to toss me into it.

I'd rather pay more now while healthy as long as when it's my turn in the barrel, I'll reap the no underwriting benefit then.

I'm healthy now. But still don't want to have to go through any underwriting with the thought maybe the insurance coverage won't count because, say, if I forgot to mention I had a break out of shingles while in college during my application .
Old 08-19-2015, 02:51 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
I'd rather pay more now while healthy as long as when it's my turn in the barrel, I'll reap the no underwriting benefit then.

I'm healthy now. But still don't want to have to go through any underwriting with the thought maybe the insurance coverage won't count because, say, if I forgot to mention I had a break out of shingles while in college during my application .

Yes, healthcare and health insurance are not same. I dont trust them and really have no reason to because I have been healthy. But stories I read don't sound good. Like you said, it could become a "gotcha game". Even without underwriting, it still seems to be a gotcha game based on showing up at the wrong hospital, wrong surgeon not on your plan, custodian surcharge cleaning your room who isn't unionized under your plan, etc... Ok...Im starting to go overboard a bit with the custodian.....

Old 08-19-2015, 03:02 PM   #16

This snippet from the link pretty well sums it up:

"But the big takeaway is that the establishment GOP contenders are edging toward a consensus alternative to Obamacare, a three-part plan that would potentially make insurance cheaper for the young, more expensive for the old and sick, and depending on how tight-fisted Congress felt, unaffordable for the ill"

The guaranteed issue, 3/1 rule and minimum essential coverage seem to be working pretty well IMO. Yes, ACA is more expensive for some but not for those that really need the coverage.
Old 08-19-2015, 03:10 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa99 View Post
If Obamacare went away my husband and I would have to go back to work effectively ending our early retirement.

He's had controlled high blood pressure for more than 10 years and when I looked into private plans before ACA was implemented the cost of insurance was undoable for us.
Nobody expects it to "go away". A lot of people just want it modified.
Old 08-19-2015, 03:10 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Create special "high-risk pools" for the sick who can't get coverage otherwise.
That looks like the return of medical underwriting to me. Otherwise there wouldn't be any pool for just the sick folks?

All these pools were abandoned as a result of ACA since they were no longer needed.
Old 08-19-2015, 03:17 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
This snippet from the link pretty well sums it up:

"But the big takeaway is that the establishment GOP contenders are edging toward a consensus alternative to Obamacare, a three-part plan that would potentially make insurance cheaper for the young, more expensive for the old and sick, and depending on how tight-fisted Congress felt, unaffordable for the ill"

The guaranteed issue, 3/1 rule and minimum essential coverage seem to be working pretty well IMO. Yes, ACA is more expensive for some but not for those that really need the coverage.

ACA is getting pretty entrenched now already. I would think what is best for our healthcare needs are continued improvement tweaks of current system instead of another new overhaul that may or may not be better. JMO though...

Old 08-19-2015, 03:19 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
It's only a stepping stone until we get 100% free coverage.

I just wonder who will pay for it.
You do? I don't wonder at all about who'll pay for it.

Closed Thread