Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-14-2011, 08:30 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It's largely sugar, and should be eaten in moderation, as in only every few days. At least if you buy into the low carb, slow carb, diabetic reducing eating techniques. I eat a small amount of cherries when in season, but I haven't had an orange in years. Sad, too. I really loved them.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2011, 10:20 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Very timely as I have recently begun a change in my diet a couple of months ago essentially eliminating most carbs and all white food (white sugar, white starch, white liquid i.e., milk, white rice, white potatoes and any other white starch you can think of. The general result has been a loss of 30 pounds and improvement in all my blood chemistry data. Yes, I have increased my fats and proteins but eating fats high in omega 3's. I feel better but it is hard to find places to eat out without getting grains.

Over the last several hundred years and mostly in the last 50 or so years man has essentially re-engineered nearly all the commercial crops offered for public consumption through genetics to create strains that are the most economical to grow, store, distribute and process. These changes have created essentially new forms of grains, vegetables, and meats that are no longer as healthy as they once were. Our bodies have not kept pace with the genetic changes to our food and as a consequence we are suffering many maladies because of it; mostly due to inflammation to our digestive track and blood vessels which in tern causes arteriosclerosis, bowel diseases, joint diseases and many others including obesity. There is a ton of information on these topics across many sources so it is not one or two flakes out there pushing a Vegan lifestyle or back to nature philosophy.

There are alternatives to wheat, corn and rice. Spelt, flax, oats and a few other grains have not been altered to the same degree and are still a healthier alternative. Nut flours are even healthier since they are all gluten free and contain "good" fats. There are few options other than making things for yourself since even many so called "Health Foods" contain wheat in some form or another.

Not trying to drop out of society and start a commune...just trying to live long enough to spend my IRA so my kids won't get any of it. My family history of various killer diseases is pretty bad so anything I can do to extend my productive longevity works for me.

Old 09-14-2011, 10:25 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Is there anyone making wheat flour from organic wheat that came from heirloom seeds?
Old 09-14-2011, 10:55 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddyMac View Post
Is there anyone making wheat flour from organic wheat that came from heirloom seeds?
Try this place: Anson Mills
Old 09-15-2011, 07:42 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

I recently watched "Forks over Knives" and I'm now scared to eat meat, animal based products, and any over-processed food.

I read this thread and now I'm scared to eat wheat based products. And fruit!

I think I'm developing a case of Cibophobia - fear of food!
Old 09-15-2011, 07:56 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDreaming View Post
I recently watched "Forks over Knives" and I'm now scared to eat meat, animal based products, and any over-processed food.

I read this thread and now I'm scared to eat wheat based products. And fruit!

I think I'm developing a case of Cibophobia - fear of food!
Yeah, freaks me out too so I just went ahead and ate Spaghetti Bolognese for dinner last night and wrote off a couple of years.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:58 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

"Quote: You can’t stop sucking when the only way you could do 10 pushups is by finishing the last 8 in the modified position, like a girl – remember, you’re turning into a woman."

Geez. Do you think he could've made his point - that you're a lazy slob who eats too much - without dissing women?

Amethyst

Old 09-15-2011, 09:10 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
"Quote: You can’t stop sucking when the only way you could do 10 pushups is by finishing the last 8 in the modified position, like a girl – remember, you’re turning into a woman."

Geez. Do you think he could've made his point - that you're a lazy slob who eats too much - without dissing women?

Amethyst

But his point is that you, given the gift of manhood, are becoming a woman. If he allowed that to sound like the wonderful thing that it undoubtedly is, his whole tactic falls apart.

After all, every day some men somewhere in America are spending good money to surgically and pharmacologically become women. These guys he writes about are just doing it on the cheap.

Ha
Old 09-15-2011, 09:29 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Fiddlesticks. He's equating being a lazy, sloppy man with being female, plain and simple.

Wait, wait, I've figured it out. If he just said, "You're lazy and sloppy, and you need to get into shape so you look better and are healthier," he might be accused of being gay. So he cancels out that risk by insulting women, which as everyone knows, is truly manly behavior.

It's sad. Apparently, I think far better of men than this author thinks of women.

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
But his point is that you, given the gift of manhood, are becoming a woman. If he allowed that to sound like the wonderful thing that it undoubtedly is, his whole tactic falls apart.

After all, every day some men somewhere in America are spending good money to surgically and pharmacologically become women. These guys he writes about are just doing it on the cheap.

Ha
Old 09-15-2011, 09:47 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgarling View Post
Just so nobody gets confused, I'd like to point out that Brian Sekula (you suck as a man) is not the same guy as William Davis (Wheat Belly). Probably not necessary, but just in case...
Quote:
Fiddlesticks. He's equating being a lazy, sloppy man with being female, plain and simple.

Wait, wait, I've figured it out. If he just said, "You're lazy and sloppy, and you need to get into shape so you look better and are healthier," he might be accused of being gay. So he cancels out that risk by insulting women, which as everyone knows, is truly manly behavior.

It's sad. Apparently, I think far better of men than this author thinks of women.

Amethyst
It's a guy thing...

However, the spirit of the rant is applicable both for men AND women, in that the only person to blame for us being soft and flabby and out-of-shape is the visage staring back at us in the mirror.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 11:13 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
It's a guy thing...

However, the spirit of the rant is applicable both for men AND women, in that the only person to blame for us being soft and flabby and out-of-shape is the visage staring back at us in the mirror.
Given his strong convictions about manhood, I expected Dr. Sekula to have the physique of a Greek demigod. Ladies and gents, I give you Dr. Sekula:

So I ask myself, what is the guy selling?

Turns out, DR. Sekula has been recognized as a fitness business owner who has achieved "extraordinary results in the areas of marketing, sales, business management, publicity, public speaking, and more!"
Old 09-15-2011, 11:26 AM   #32

Quote:
Except that we can assume that this was not their intention.

Quote:
I considered that and rejected being offended - mostly because I'm not a female and don't have a dog in this fight.

It's the boobs thing - guys just ain't supposed to have them. We should admire them and covet them, but not actually have a pair jiggling inside of our t-shirts. Unless we have lent said t-shirt to a lady friend.

Okay, I better stop on that track before I get into trouble.

As human beings we were designed to be endurance athletes so we could run down gazelles or whatever it was we ate. None of us should be blubbery, but women should have a higher percentage of body fat - and boobs - for child-bearing/rearing. The men should have greater upper-body strength and sprinting abilities - the better to hunt, fight and kill prey to eat - and enemies to conquer.

Maybe in a few million years men and women will have more similar physiology. But at this point in evolution, a dude with man-boobies and poor upper body strength is an aberration.

Having the physique of a woman is not bad, unless you're a guy and then it's completely wrong.
Old 09-15-2011, 11:26 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

And here we are- this entire area is marketing, as is almost everything else in our modern world.

There is some market segment ripe for any approach. Reminds me of when my brother was in Las Vegas, when he was about 50. Some 70+ hooker approached him. Brother was much more interested in the phenomenon than what was being offered, so he asked- how's business? She said, "not bad, there is a market for anything."

And indeed, there is. Today it does not pay to be middle of the road, unless like the public schools you have captive customers.

Ha
Old 09-15-2011, 11:28 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by FD View Post
So I ask myself, what is the guy selling?

Turns out, DR. Sekula has been recognized as a fitness business owner who has achieved "extraordinary results in the areas of marketing, sales, business management, publicity, public speaking, and more!"
I found some of the same garbage on this guy as well.

I still like the blog post, but that's the limit.

I didn't see the torso shot though - no man boobies....yet.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:24 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
I found some of the same garbage on this guy as well.

I still like the blog post, but that's the limit.

I didn't see the torso shot though - no man boobies....yet.
He is just a standard, pedestrian unfit guy. Good sense of humor but he should be embarrassed to post his picture.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:52 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

The bro...

Old 09-15-2011, 01:58 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

This discussion is fun (FD - thanks for the pix - the guy could appear in a dictionary as the accompanying illustration to "Management Consultant"), but the point remains:

He could have said "You're becoming a flabby weakling," but he chose to say "You're turning into a woman." If this actually motivates men over the age of 14, I find that a little sick-making. Having spent my entire life as a woman, doncha know. And most of that, living with one man or other, starting with a father who admired women who were physically strong.

OK - Now I have spent more time on this than strictly necessary, and will go away and do some push-ups (and I don't mean bras).

Amethyst
Old 09-15-2011, 03:04 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
This discussion is fun (FD - thanks for the pix - the guy could appear in a dictionary as the accompanying illustration to "Management Consultant"), but the point remains:

He could have said "You're becoming a flabby weakling," but he chose to say "You're turning into a woman." If this actually motivates men over the age of 14, I find that a little sick-making. Having spent my entire life as a woman, doncha know. And most of that, living with one man or other, starting with a father who admired women who were physically strong.

OK - Now I have spent more time on this than strictly necessary, and will go away and do some push-ups (and I don't mean bras).

Amethyst
It cuts both ways. Its an insult to men that society seems to believe that they cannot have "feminine" aspects to their personalities or want some of the same things women want.

But what else is new? There is no shortage of walking anuses, and lots of them want to enforce strict gender roles (even if they themselves don't quite toe the line).

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 03:57 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
Very timely as I have recently begun a change in my diet a couple of months ago essentially eliminating most carbs and all white food (white sugar, white starch, white liquid i.e., milk, white rice, white potatoes and any other white starch you can think of. The general result has been a loss of 30 pounds and improvement in all my blood chemistry data.
Steve that is an awesome job, l love hearing when folks get such good results, very motivating

Quote:

Amethyst
I agree with your point about dissing women by using that as if it were some sort of insult to ones manhood. I know quite a few women that can run circles around me in the gym and I'll bet they could kick his ash as well.

Quote:

Ha
Wasn't there a movie a few years back where Arnold of all people gave birth?
Old 09-15-2011, 06:11 PM   #40
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
It's largely sugar, and should be eaten in moderation, as in only every few days. At least if you buy into the low carb, slow carb, diabetic reducing eating techniques. I eat a small amount of cherries when in season, but I haven't had an orange in years. Sad, too. I really loved them.
Oh, ok. I generally avoid fruit juice for that reason, but I feel fine about eating some fruit every day. I can see where it would be an issue if a person is worried about blood sugar / diabetic issues. I tried the low carb for a while but it didn't seem to fit for me. Now I do mostly vegan and minimal processed foods and that's been working well.

WM is offline   Reply With Quote