Book: "Wheat Belly" by Dr. William Davis

I recently watched "Forks over Knives" and I'm now scared to eat meat, animal based products, and any over-processed food.

I read this thread and now I'm scared to eat wheat based products. And fruit!

I think I'm developing a case of Cibophobia - fear of food! :ROFLMAO:
Yeah, freaks me out too so I just went ahead and ate Spaghetti Bolognese for dinner last night and wrote off a couple of years.

"Quote: You can’t stop sucking when the only way you could do 10 pushups is by finishing the last 8 in the modified position, like a girl – remember, you’re turning into a woman."

Geez. Do you think he could've made his point - that you're a lazy slob who eats too much - without dissing women?

Amethyst

"Quote: You can’t stop sucking when the only way you could do 10 pushups is by finishing the last 8 in the modified position, like a girl – remember, you’re turning into a woman."

Geez. Do you think he could've made his point - that you're a lazy slob who eats too much - without dissing women?

Amethyst
But his point is that you, given the gift of manhood, are becoming a woman. If he allowed that to sound like the wonderful thing that it undoubtedly is, his whole tactic falls apart.

After all, every day some men somewhere in America are spending good money to surgically and pharmacologically become women. These guys he writes about are just doing it on the cheap.

Ha

Fiddlesticks. He's equating being a lazy, sloppy man with being female, plain and simple.

Wait, wait, I've figured it out. If he just said, "You're lazy and sloppy, and you need to get into shape so you look better and are healthier," he might be accused of being gay. So he cancels out that risk by insulting women, which as everyone knows, is truly manly behavior. :rolleyes:

It's sad. Apparently, I think far better of men than this author thinks of women.

Amethyst

But his point is that you, given the gift of manhood, are becoming a woman. If he allowed that to sound like the wonderful thing that it undoubtedly is, his whole tactic falls apart.

After all, every day some men somewhere in America are spending good money to surgically and pharmacologically become women. These guys he writes about are just doing it on the cheap.

Ha

Just so nobody gets confused, I'd like to point out that Brian Sekula (you suck as a man) is not the same guy as William Davis (Wheat Belly). Probably not necessary, but just in case...

Fiddlesticks. He's equating being a lazy, sloppy man with being female, plain and simple.

Wait, wait, I've figured it out. If he just said, "You're lazy and sloppy, and you need to get into shape so you look better and are healthier," he might be accused of being gay. So he cancels out that risk by insulting women, which as everyone knows, is truly manly behavior. :rolleyes:

It's sad. Apparently, I think far better of men than this author thinks of women.

Amethyst

It's a guy thing... :LOL:

However, the spirit of the rant is applicable both for men AND women, in that the only person to blame for us being soft and flabby and out-of-shape is the visage staring back at us in the mirror.

It's a guy thing... :LOL:

However, the spirit of the rant is applicable both for men AND women, in that the only person to blame for us being soft and flabby and out-of-shape is the visage staring back at us in the mirror.

Given his strong convictions about manhood, I expected Dr. Sekula to have the physique of a Greek demigod. Ladies and gents, I give you Dr. Sekula:

0bde204.jpg

Brian_Sekula.jpg

So I ask myself, what is the guy selling?

Turns out, DR. Sekula has been recognized as a fitness business owner who has achieved "extraordinary results in the areas of marketing, sales, business management, publicity, public speaking, and more!"

Last edited:
Except that we can assume that this was not their intention.

I considered that and rejected being offended - mostly because I'm not a female and don't have a dog in this fight.

It's the boobs thing - guys just ain't supposed to have them. We should admire them and covet them, but not actually have a pair jiggling inside of our t-shirts. Unless we have lent said t-shirt to a lady friend.

Okay, I better stop on that track before I get into trouble.

As human beings we were designed to be endurance athletes so we could run down gazelles or whatever it was we ate. None of us should be blubbery, but women should have a higher percentage of body fat - and boobs - for child-bearing/rearing. The men should have greater upper-body strength and sprinting abilities - the better to hunt, fight and kill prey to eat - and enemies to conquer.

Maybe in a few million years men and women will have more similar physiology. But at this point in evolution, a dude with man-boobies and poor upper body strength is an aberration.

Having the physique of a woman is not bad, unless you're a guy and then it's completely wrong.

And here we are- this entire area is marketing, as is almost everything else in our modern world.

There is some market segment ripe for any approach. Reminds me of when my brother was in Las Vegas, when he was about 50. Some 70+ hooker approached him. Brother was much more interested in the phenomenon than what was being offered, so he asked- how's business? She said, "not bad, there is a market for anything."

And indeed, there is. Today it does not pay to be middle of the road, unless like the public schools you have captive customers.

Ha

Turns out, DR. Sekula has been recognized as a fitness business owner who has achieved "extraordinary results in the areas of marketing, sales, business management, publicity, public speaking, and more!"
I found some of the same garbage on this guy as well.

I still like the blog post, but that's the limit.

I didn't see the torso shot though - no man boobies....yet.

Last edited:
I found some of the same garbage on this guy as well.

I still like the blog post, but that's the limit.

I didn't see the torso shot though - no man boobies....yet.
He is just a standard, pedestrian unfit guy. Good sense of humor but he should be embarrassed to post his picture.

This discussion is fun (FD - thanks for the pix - the guy could appear in a dictionary as the accompanying illustration to "Management Consultant"), but the point remains:

He could have said "You're becoming a flabby weakling," but he chose to say "You're turning into a woman." If this actually motivates men over the age of 14, I find that a little sick-making. Having spent my entire life as a woman, doncha know. And most of that, living with one man or other, starting with a father who admired women who were physically strong.

OK - Now I have spent more time on this than strictly necessary, and will go away and do some push-ups (and I don't mean bras). :LOL:

Amethyst

This discussion is fun (FD - thanks for the pix - the guy could appear in a dictionary as the accompanying illustration to "Management Consultant"), but the point remains:

He could have said "You're becoming a flabby weakling," but he chose to say "You're turning into a woman." If this actually motivates men over the age of 14, I find that a little sick-making. Having spent my entire life as a woman, doncha know. And most of that, living with one man or other, starting with a father who admired women who were physically strong.

OK - Now I have spent more time on this than strictly necessary, and will go away and do some push-ups (and I don't mean bras). :LOL:

Amethyst

It cuts both ways. Its an insult to men that society seems to believe that they cannot have "feminine" aspects to their personalities or want some of the same things women want.

But what else is new? There is no shortage of walking anuses, and lots of them want to enforce strict gender roles (even if they themselves don't quite toe the line).

Very timely as I have recently begun a change in my diet a couple of months ago essentially eliminating most carbs and all white food (white sugar, white starch, white liquid i.e., milk, white rice, white potatoes and any other white starch you can think of. The general result has been a loss of 30 pounds and improvement in all my blood chemistry data.
Steve that is an awesome job, l love hearing when folks get such good results, very motivating:dance:

Amethyst

I agree with your point about dissing women by using that as if it were some sort of insult to ones manhood. I know quite a few women that can run circles around me in the gym and I'll bet they could kick his ash as well.

Ha

Wasn't there a movie a few years back where Arnold of all people gave birth? :ROFLMAO:

It's largely sugar, and should be eaten in moderation, as in only every few days. At least if you buy into the low carb, slow carb, diabetic reducing eating techniques. I eat a small amount of cherries when in season, but I haven't had an orange in years. Sad, too. I really loved them.

Oh, ok. I generally avoid fruit juice for that reason, but I feel fine about eating some fruit every day. I can see where it would be an issue if a person is worried about blood sugar / diabetic issues. I tried the low carb for a while but it didn't seem to fit for me. Now I do mostly vegan and minimal processed foods and that's been working well.

Back to discussing wheat.

In my three years in Asia I've gone long periods with no or only token amounts of wheat. Benefits: 1) Far less gas (though that could be from also giving up cheese), 2) Hypoglycemic drowsy-alert cycles all but disappeared (though that could be from not having a j*b which required most of my brain most of the time).

When I've lived places with good european style bread and German deli I've gone on binges where I eat a sandwich a day. The gas and drowsy-alert cycles reappear. My pollen allergies also increase, which is enough to make my binges short and infrequent.

Wheat free muesli is available where I live so I can get my B vitamins without relying entirely on Vegemite on rye crackers.

He didn't. You couldn't possibly know what it means for a man to be called a wimp, pussy, girly-mon, girl, woman etc.

In other words...it is not making women appear less than they are but are making men feel less than what they are. There is a difference. I for one don't appreciate the whole attitude thing with the blog and after seeing this thread see it is nothing but a marking scam so that turns me off even more to even looking at the original blog. I have a short fuse when it come to being manipulated by marketing pukes so this one goes down as just such crap for me.

BTW, if men feel the need to emasculate other men to try to make a point to sell their wares or idea I think they are the ones with the emasculation issue and are trying to compensate by trying to label others who are more man-like than themselves as effeminate as a way to compensate for their own lack of masculinity. Ok, enough psyco-drivel. The short of is is I detest BS and this one is full of it.

Given his strong convictions about manhood, I expected Dr. Sekula to have the physique of a Greek demigod. Ladies and gents, I give you Dr. Sekula:

0bde204.jpg

Brian_Sekula.jpg

I look pretty close to this guy body wise (maybe slightly slimmer) and i eat .. well almost anything. Wheat, wheat beer, wheat berry bread, shredded wheat, cream of wheat, wheat grass, wheat thins, deep fried guinea pigs, fried chicken and waffles, tofu, yogurt, red wine, cruciform vegetables, salmon, orange juice, spinach, and all the other nutritional saviors from days gone by.

I get the occasional chuckle from these nutritional savants (sekula and doctor wheat belly) . They all rotate out for someone else a few years down the road. They just seem silly to me. Sorry, if this guy is someone's guru du jour, just my snarky two cents worth.

Last edited:
Well this thread has gone to He!! in a handbasket.

For those who are actually interested in nutrition, the INFORMATION in the book "Wheat Belly", by Dr WILLIAM DAVIS is good to know.

Also, Dr Davis is not a clown, but a reputable cardiologist has been using effective treatment protocols to help thousands of patients for many years. Those of you with diabetes, high blood sugar, high blood pressure or weight issues should give it a read.

I certainly don't care for Sekula's communication tactics at all, but I think the recommendation for Dr Davis is a good one.

And MH, some of us that may not be fortunate enough to have your metabolism, and are struggling with health issues do not presumptively dismiss these so called nutritional savants as you term them. There have been several recommendations for experts in the field of nutrition on this sub-forum that I have learned from and do not consider quackery.:greetings10:

I'm reluctant to give any of these bloggers "guru" status; you have to separate the wheat from the chaff, pun intended.

Back
Top Bottom