Booze

Regularly drinking a glass of wine in the afternoon and then scotch as a nightcap, IMO, would be pushing it, and I wouldn't want to give that up. In general, I don't touch alcohol before 7 or 8 PM.

I don't drink in the afternoon either. Messes up the rest of my day.

I didn't know about the scotch nightcap.

But as far as cirrhosis goes, you'd still be OK, but I'm not trying to tell you how much to drink. It takes a lot of booze to get to cirrhosis, unless of course you have some other compromising liver issues, such as a history of Hep.

But as far as cirrhosis goes, you'd still be OK, but I'm not trying to tell you how much to drink. It takes a lot of booze to get to cirrhosis, unless of course you have some other compromising liver issues, such as a history of Hep.

I took my father 62 years and a quart of Vodka each day for the last 20 of them. Some folks can go longer if they drink low alcohol content booze. Mom made it to 86 and her kidneys failed before her liver. Mom was a closet drinker so I never really knew how much she drank.

I think some of the young mothers around here (the tennis and van crowd) are working the same agenda.

Well here I am drinking alone... My DH took one kid to the hunting camp, the other is sleeping at a friend's house. I cleaned the house top to bottom, and I am watching my favorite football team. We might actually have a QB this year- YAY. And I'm having a celebratory (peace and quiet, clean house, team winning) glass of wine. Not feeling guilty at all.

I understand. No liver issues at all that I know of, but since alcohol can take its toll on the body in many ways (increased risks of some cancers, for example) even if it's not at levels that endanger the liver, I keep it moderate.

My sister is an alcoholic and it is so sad to see how her life has deteriorated as a result. She drinks a ton of vodka and passes out for a few days, then comes to and acts like this is a normal lifestyle. She used to function reasonably well in between binges, but now the binges are closer and closer together and I’ve observed her decision making and general functioning get worse and worse. Still, she refuses to get help and recently was arrested for DUI.

I drink but not to excess most of the time. When we are home, we try not to drink during the week at all for weight control, and drink with friends for weekend dinners out together. But when traveling, we have a glass or two of wine each night. DH and I just agreed we need to stop eating so much cheese and drinking so much wine so our clothes will still fit! Neither of us enjoys getting drunk so we primarily just enjoy wine with food, or while socializing with friends. As we have aged, we’ve both noticed our tolerance for excessive alcohol has decreased and our recovery time if we overindulge is much longer. Therefore we avoid overindulging. Life is too short!

My DH grandfather drank a shot of whiskey every morning. A glass or 2 of red wine with dinner. He was Italian and smoked Pall Mall straights for 60+ years. Lived to be 93. He ate well but did not exercise intentionally. He gardened, worked outside sometimes. It's all in the genes.

My grandma had cirrhosis and never had a drink in her life. Her father was a alcoholic and she wouldn't touch the stuff. It didn't kill her either and she died at 91 of old age. Her daughter married a alcoholic and became one. Within about 5 years she died of cirrhosis so I think there must be a hereditary component as well.

My DH grandfather drank a shot of whiskey every morning. A glass or 2 of red wine with dinner. He was Italian and smoked Pall Mall straights for 60+ years. Lived to be 93. He ate well but did not exercise intentionally. He gardened, worked outside sometimes. It's all in the genes.

As far as "old school" Italians go, and I grew up in that community (but I am not Italian), he died young. :D

This is my 11th day off the sauce (but who is counting, right?), and I have to say this is the first evening that I didn't have a strong urge for that 6 O'Clock cocktail.
Tomorrow may be another story, who knows?

This is my 11th day off the sauce (but who is counting, right?), and I have to say this is the first evening that I didn't have a strong urge for that 6 O'Clock cocktail.

Wonderful! That's a milestone.

I'm off 10+ years now and the only urge I have is for a diet Coke!

$10-15 for a glass of crappy wine is a real sin. $10-15 for a glass of great wine is, well, great!:dance:

Anecdote: went into favorite dive bar at my alma mater during football trip. Asked for Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. Nope, don't have it. Gives me beer list. Saw Founder's Breakfast Stout at 8% ABV. Asked if they serve that in a 10 ounce snifter or a whole pint. (Lots of places will 'protect you from yourself' by charging full price for a high ABV beer, but serving it in a 10 ounce container, thereby greedily gouging you even more, as they 'protect you from yourself'). Anyway, cut to the chase: The Stout came in a whole pint, and it was only $6 a pint (higher than I usually am willing to pay for any beer, but this stuff was so good, it was well worth it.) I knew the second one wouldn't be as good, so I left a tip and took off for new adventures elsewhere. Yes, some high-priced is booze is well worth it. And if it's beer, it's only good on tap, bottles and cans just not the same.

We went to Canada for 2 months, first month I had 1-2 drinks from booze we brought each day.
The second month, I refused to pay their overpriced rates for buying booze (even in the stores).
Once in a while I noticed I missed it (habit).
I also LOST 10 lbs, while we ate lots of deserts/cookies, no dieting even attempted. :dance:

In case you couldn't tell, my avatar is bottles of scotch, so it isn't hard to tell where I come down on this issue.

But seriously, I usually limit myself to about 4oz of whisky or 1-3 beers (although that's harder to measure -- my beer collection varies from 12oz witbiers and lagers to 750ml bombers in the 5-10% ABV range or a couple of 12-oz 17-20% ABV specialty beers). At home, I usually will keep my drinking to between 5 and 9pm, because I find if I drink any later it affects my sleep, and if I drink any earlier my coworkers give me strange looks. :D

I find that liking the good stuff help keeps me from indulging too much, as it is already a fairly expensive habit of mine. It also keeps me sipping and tasting rather than gulping. I also agree with those who have trouble ordering a drink when out to dinner, as I usually have the same beer or scotch at home, but for much less per ounce! I'll sometimes order a cocktail or two if any of them look interesting.

And if it's beer, it's only good on tap, bottles and cans just not the same.

I prefer beer on tap myself, poured with a nice foamy head to awaken the aromas. But, the latest trend/fad/thought in the industry, is to go with 12 ounce cans for a fresher taste. Craft breweries are not using bottles around here lately.:(

If I am out having a beer I want it on tap. I can drink bottles and cans at home a lot cheaper.

I was having a texting conversation with my brother and my two children about drinking. We all drink some, I'm probably the most regular drinker, in that I typically (before my injury) have one or two every night. I told them that having gone 11 days without drinking hasn't made me any more alert in the morning.
My brother suggested that if I want not drinking to have a bigger effect on how I feel, I probably have to drink more when I am drinking.

Now there's some solid advice.

I just finished my 2nd glass of Malbec. Red wine is my usual, in the evenings during/After dinner. It's a habit, and I like it. I could give it up, but why. Isn't red wine good for your heart? My father didn't drink a drop as far as I knew, and he died younger than I am now.

Back
Top Bottom