Booze

...I haven't tried to figure that out since cutting way back on my alcohol consumption helped me in other ways like better sleep and less acid reflux.

Has less alcohol consumption lessened the AFib events for you?
Yes. I AFIB is still there but the reaction is much less. We also discovered an additive that makes any drink into a low cost alternative to Gatorade. Mio-Sport is distributed by Kraft. Fits in your pocket for use with restaurant water.

I share your concern about alcohol abuse- as I noted, I saw it eventually kill my Ex, not to mention all the damage he caused in the meantime. I'm also concerned about the "silent" effects of more moderate consumption- decreased liver function, higher cancer risk, etc. I do get annual checkups. In general, though, I'm blessed with excellent health for a 65-year old although I may try and cut it back to 1.5 oz./day. But I need a few vices- really. My only other is caffeine and the jury is still out on that.

Our choices are our choices.

I have read this thread with interest as I have alcoholism on both sides of my family and have watched how that disease can wreak havoc on so many things....mainly poor decision-making with the concomitant bad results. I do not drink alone. However, I do drink mainly when I am in Europe as that is what people do there in moderation and usually with their meal. If I do not like the taste of what I am drinking, I stop. Conversely (unfortunately), if I do like that taste, sometimes, I over imbibe. As I get older I am better at moderation and find that drinking water while or between drinks helps with that. My downfalls are a wonderful dry, white German wine made in the Rheinland Pfalzer area and wonderful dry champagnes. A really good margarita is wonderful, too: the original lime juice, tequila, ice and salt on the rim. For Christmas, some whiskey or bourbon in eggnog is nice, too. If I am snow skiing I will have a mulled wine or drink afterward to help relax me so that the next day I am not so stiff (a hot tub helps as well :))

That is about twice to three times a year for me, unless I am able to ski more.

However, I do not denigrate others in their choices or decisions if it does not affect me. If it does or can affect me, I exercise the 'tough love' approach (from experience) and allow them to suffer the consequences of their choices. That said, most people can imbibe and it does aid in relaxation of the mind and body.

Like the best age to take SS benefits, responsibly done alcohol consumption is an individual choice.

Since I have seen to many results of older folks running out of money, I choose to take SS later in life. As far as alcohol is concerned, I had one uncle who abused it. That's pretty much it for my family and close friends.

Me? I can and do turn off consumption based upon need (I will be driving) or future plans (Cousin Buffoni is having a party this weekend, he has a new batch of home made wine to share, I'll want more than one glass) or health reasons (The Rx for my hangnail problem does not mix well with alcohol).

Thankfully, my hangnail is cured and I can walk to Buffoni's party. :dance:

Why on earth would anyone want to extend one's life if there's no drinking?!?!

You might live longer but why would you want to?

:LOL: My thoughts exactly!

I love a good glass of wine or two with dinner, but I found that I can't do that every night without some gastrointestinal discomfort. So I'm content limiting myself to only a few "drinking" evenings a week and making sure I have no more than 2 glasses (5-6 oz) on those days. Hopefully this isn't too bad for my long term health, because I just enjoy it too much to totally give it up.

:LOL: My thoughts exactly!

I love a good glass of wine or two with dinner, but I found that I can't do that every night without some gastrointestinal discomfort. So I'm content limiting myself to only a few "drinking" evenings a week and making sure I have no more than 2 glasses (5-6 oz) on those days. Hopefully this isn't too bad for my long term health, because I just enjoy it too much to totally give it up.
5-6 ounces per glass, or total in 2 glasses?

Ha

I am 63 retired (two years) and my wife and her two sisters have invited her sister to move into our retirement community. The worst part the sister moving here is an alcoholic for the past 30 years and still drinks heavily. After two weeks here she was drunk for the last three days and refuses help or to be in any type of program. Lucky she is not staying at my house.
Nothing is worse than dealing with three sisters and the fourth one is flaming alcoholic. After two weeks all wish she would move back! Why they wanted her here in the first place is beyond me (it must be a woman's thing). A 62 year old drunk who is missing her boyfriend who threw her out, not a nice site.
God please give me the grace to have patience. But on a second note I am not an alcoholic, so I will be having some Makers Mark tonight by myself reading a Brad Thor book.
Alcoholics can take all the fun out of drinking. We had two in the family that ruined every holiday for over a decade. Finally one drank herself to death and the other sobered up. Hope your's sobers up before she dies.

Alcohol was certainly the most addicting drug I ever used.
For me it's no contest to nicotine. Especially the kind you stuck on all day long. Cigarettes are candy compared to Skoal. Those who are good at it don't spit or drool, you might not know someone's dipping. I personally believe nicotine is more addictive than the high doses of opioids I was on for months.

However I have seen people lose everything over alcohol.

Like the best age to take SS benefits, responsibly done alcohol consumption is an individual choice.

Since I have seen to many results of older folks running out of money, I choose to take SS later in life. As far as alcohol is concerned, I had one uncle who abused it. That's pretty much it for my family and close friends.

Me? I can and do turn off consumption based upon need (I will be driving) or future plans (Cousin Buffoni is having a party this weekend, he has a new batch of home made wine to share, I'll want more than one glass) or health reasons (The Rx for my hangnail problem does not mix well with alcohol).

Thankfully, my hangnail is cured and I can walk to Buffoni's party. :dance:

Speaking of drinking, Chuckanut, I wondered if your screen name was related to a sign I saw in a bar last week:

Attachments

• FD278C0D-396D-4948-A17F-9E726E314CBE.jpg
    FD278C0D-396D-4948-A17F-9E726E314CBE.jpg
    580.9 KB · Views: 48
5-6 ounces per glass, or total in 2 glasses?

Ha

I meant 5-6 ounces per glass, so 11-12 ounces total. I've found that's my sweet spot for enjoying the wine while cooking and eating my dinner.

I don't drink because:

1.) Alcoholism in the family
2.) Overweight and it makes me gain weight
3.) I don't like the taste
4.) It's expensive
5.) I prefer being fully aware through my thoughts and mental processes, instead of being so drunk or high that I can't even think rationally.

But still, I drank a glass of wine now and then due to peer pressure, until, around age 50, I was able to just cast peer pressure aside and quit drinking for good.

You have NO IDEA how hard it is these days, to meet someone of the opposite sex who doesn't drink and yet isn't either a reforming alcoholic or a religious zealot. But Frank is neither of these, and I'm not either. We both feel lucky that we found each other. I could put my DH Mark's name in there.

+1 My entire family drinks, most drink daily. Does that mean they are alcoholics? I'm still not sure about that because I don't entirely understand the definition. They are able to function, go to work, raise their kids.

Plus, I'm amazed what restaurants charge for alcoholic drinks. Really? A glass of wine $10-$15?

+1 My entire family drinks, most drink daily. Does that mean they are alcoholics? I'm still not sure about that because I don't entirely understand the definition. They are able to function, go to work, raise their kids.

They may be what are called "functional alcoholics". These are people who do seem to function normally but they are in fact alcoholics. My father was one so I'm well acquainted with it.

Plus, I'm amazed what restaurants charge for alcoholic drinks. Really? A glass of wine $10-$15?

While I would sometimes like a glass or two of wine with a restaurant meal, I long ago stopped ordering any alcoholic drink in a restaurant. The markup is now beyond "high" and has crossed the line well into "greedy" and I won't pay it.

They may be what are called "functional alcoholics". These are people who do seem to function normally but they are in fact alcoholics. My father was one so I'm well acquainted with it.

While I would sometimes like a glass or two of wine with a restaurant meal, I long ago stopped ordering any alcoholic drink in a restaurant. The markup is now beyond "high" and has crossed the line well into "greedy" and I won't pay it.

Years ago I heard a Restaurant reviewer going on a huge rant about restaurants marking up wine 2x. Today that would be cheap. 3x is the normal these days. I refuse to pay $40 for a $12-$15 bottle of wine, plus another 15-20% for the tip. Outrageous!

I believe both the brewery and yours truly got the name from the same source.

Which I’m guessing is named after Chuckanut Mountain, which is south of Bellingham. And I had the good fortune of biking along Chuckanut Drive a couple of weeks ago on our way to Vancouver BC.

Hmm...all this talk about Chuckanut is putting me in the mood for a Chuckanut Pilsner. :)

Yes. I AFIB is still there but the reaction is much less. We also discovered an additive that makes any drink into a low cost alternative to Gatorade. Mio-Sport is distributed by Kraft. Fits in your pocket for use with restaurant water.
Thanks for the tip!

Alcoholics can take all the fun out of drinking. We had two in the family that ruined every holiday for over a decade. Finally one drank herself to death and the other sobered up. Hope your's sobers up before she dies.
Yeah, they keep talking about their AA meetings.

I'm one week off of the booze. I ruptured the achilles tendon in my right leg last Friday, and haven't had a drink since. Mostly because I'm precarious enough on my crutches without any ETOH in the system.
I only miss it for an hour or so, in the evening. I haven't been much of an afternoon drinker for many years, but always have one or two around 6 O'Clock, and often some vino with dinner.
I can't say I sleep any better or worse, and I can't say that I feel any more chipper in the morning.
I was thinking about taking a month off just to see how I'd feel. I'm going to be on crutches at least that long, so this seems like a good time to try the experiment.

Interesting observation today- I'm in Wine Country and, after tasting at one vineyard (my limit is one vineyard or brewery with no designated driver), I had them pour me a full glass to enjoy, just sitting out on the porch, admiring the views and grooving to the music- mostly 70s classic rock. I was thinking that I ought to unplug and mellow out with a glass of wine in the afternoon more often. Then I remembered that it was 8 years ago today that my Ex died of cirrhosis of the liver.

Ummm... never mind. Bad idea.

Interesting observation today- I'm in Wine Country and, after tasting at one vineyard (my limit is one vineyard or brewery with no designated driver), I had them pour me a full glass to enjoy, just sitting out on the porch, admiring the views and grooving to the music- mostly 70s classic rock. I was thinking that I ought to unplug and mellow out with a glass of wine in the afternoon more often. Then I remembered that it was 8 years ago today that my Ex died of cirrhosis of the liver.

Ummm... never mind. Bad idea.

Unless you have reason to believe your liver is less than normally healthy, one glass of wine in the afternoon is not going to give you cirrhosis.

Unless you have reason to believe your liver is less than normally healthy, one glass of wine in the afternoon is not going to give you cirrhosis.

Regularly drinking a glass of wine in the afternoon and then scotch as a nightcap, IMO, would be pushing it, and I wouldn't want to give that up. In general, I don't touch alcohol before 7 or 8 PM.

Back
Top Bottom