Join Early Retirement Today

Another Vote for Tracking
Old 04-29-2016, 09:16 AM   #81
Full time employment: Posting here.

Another Vote for Tracking

Tracking food consumed is basically what works for me as well; I have been doing so for at least six years with decent results (30 lbs. weight lost and kept off with generally better health).

I am very strict about this when at home, weighing and recording everything; but, when travelling, I generally rely on gut feel (or my eye for calories) for both calories and nutrition.

I use a tracker not only for the calories but also to make sure that I am getting enough protein along with some vitamins and minerals that are hard for me with a reduced calorie intake.

Finally, I do try to get some kind of exercise each day: Walk, run, bike, lift weights, something. Skipping one day in a week doesn't concern me; if it looks like I am going to miss more than that, I start adjusting my schedule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krotoole View Post
I've been doing sustained weight loss for about 8 months now...totally agree that actually measuring what you eat is key. I now measure my breakfast every morning. Hard to do that at lunch b/c I eat out with colleagues every day, but I've done enough of it at home that my "eye" for calories has gotten better.

That + brutal adherence to logging what I eat in MyFitnessPal (using the bar code scanner whenever possible) has made a huge difference. I now have a rule that "if it doesn't go in the app, it doesn't go in my mouth."

CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2016, 09:28 AM   #82

I have been tracking calories and exercise using the Loseit app for 2-3 years and found that method very effective for weight control. Before that I really had no idea of the number of calories I was consuming or the number of calories expended. By keeping the average ratio just under 1 I've been able to lose weight slowly but steadily and I don't feel deprived.

The new eating habits are pretty much ingrained now, but I'm reluctant to stop tracking diet/exercise for fear that the ratio might slip back up over 1 and there would be gradual weight gain.

Old 04-29-2016, 11:51 AM   #83
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6miths View Post
Thanks for the link sengsational. I think it was a good article but I don't really agree that it 'disproves' the CICO hypothesis unless one takes the theory very literally. I think what it does do is highlight the fact that people are just eating way too many calories and that diet is the main culprit in weight gain. I don't think that this comes as a surprise to anyone at all. Exercise has many health benefits but in the face of super-sized, super-sweet, super-salty, super-fatty foods, it just can't compete!! I thought Michael Moss's book about the food industry was very illuminating in the area of the how the pursuit of greater sales really has had humongous health consequences.
Agree. Exercise will make you healthier everything else being equal, but how much you eat is by far the most important factor in maintaining a healthy weight. It's obviously this way because it is way easier to put 100 extra calories down the "pie hole" than it is to burn 100 extra calories off. As well, vigorous exercise increases your appetite, so if you are not careful, you will simply replace the calories burned with more calories in. Off to my workout.
Old 12-19-2016, 09:35 AM   #84
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Here's a short article on why all calories are not equal. Hint: It's the food package the calories come in that makes the difference.

https://medium.com/@davidludwigmd/th...897#.hf1u68lx6
Old 12-19-2016, 09:52 AM   #85

Eating healthy is about more than counting calories. Losing weight doesn't have to be about eating healthy however. You can eat unhealthy food and lose weight as long as calories in < calories out. Similarly, you can eat nothing but "healthy foods" and gain weight.
Old 12-19-2016, 09:59 AM   #86
Give me a forum ...

I never count calories (meaning adding them up to a quota), although I do know roughly the calorie content of most food items. And using that, I avoid the high-caloric foods and eat more of the lower ones. I stop eating when I feel full. I also avoid the foods with a high glycemic index, not just because of the diabetic risks, but they digest too fast and make me hungry too soon.

Seems to work. BMI never above 25.7, and currently at 23.3. My wife's is at 22.
Old 12-19-2016, 10:31 AM   #87
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by exnavynuke View Post
Eating healthy is about more than counting calories. Losing weight doesn't have to be about eating healthy however. You can eat unhealthy food and lose weight as long as calories in < calories out. Similarly, you can eat nothing but "healthy foods" and gain weight.
Ding ding ding.

You can lose weight by eating bonbons and Ben and Jerry’s.
I'm not going to say that is healthy, nor will most feel full or satisfied, but it is very doable.

There's calorie counting and nutrition, they are different. For me looking at the calories and nutrient data in my diary allowed me to make better choices about both. YMMV.

For folks who like to debate stuff myfitnesspal has a community. The debate section is pretty active with knowledgeable posters. A word of warning, it is moderated but not like here.
Old 12-21-2016, 09:59 AM   #88
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Here's a short article on why all calories are not equal. Hint: It's the food package the calories come in that makes the difference.

https://medium.com/@davidludwigmd/th...897#.hf1u68lx6

In many cases, the packaging probably tastes better than the food...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 10:31 AM   #89
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Options View Post
I have had a problem with keeping weight on all of my life. I positively hate to eat, and view it as a burden, a task, and something I have to do. If I could get my nutrition by simply drinking it, I would. Years ago, when I was young and stupid, over time I ate at most of the best restaurants in Los Angeles. To this day, I don't remember a single dish that stood out. I haven't wasted money on "fine dining" in years as it's just as tasteless to me as eating at McDonald's (which I never do because I almost never eat processed foods).

I must monitor my weight three times a week at the end of my workouts, because once I start losing even 3 pounds, it's a downward spiral of weight loss. A couple months ago I was sick for 3 weeks, lost 10 pounds, and it took 3 weeks of absolute force feeding to gain it back. Calories are meaningless to me, as I can eat 2 medium pizzas trying to gain weight and still lose 4 pounds overnight, which is what happened while trying to gain it back last month.

People say I'm lucky but they have no idea how oppressive it can be having to eat when you don't like it and don't want to.
That's too bad. I like to eat, and to cook. I would eat more if it did not make me gain weight.

Maybe your problem is explained by the theory below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
CICO is a poor model of reality. We don't all extract energy with the same efficiency. We all have different gut microbiota, and that's a huge factor. Dozens of studies on it. Heres one: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2212877812000051
I recall a study where they collect waste from the test subjects to see how much of the nutrients are passed through and not absorbed. I don't recall the objective of the study and the conclusion.
Old 12-21-2016, 11:33 AM   #90
Give me a forum ...

By the way, I used to be skinny. Bony in fact with a BMI of 18 while in college, the archetype hungry college student. I ate a lot, I thought. But perhaps my favorite food was low in calories, or I did not eat as much as I believed.

Anyway, my weight got to the normal range in the later years, starting with my 30s. Still, my BMI was never above 25. I prefer for it to be lower, about 23 as it is now.