Colorado heathcare rates

A few observations and questions -

• lots of unfamiliar provider names - for example a quick google search educated me that "All Savers" is really United Health Care
  • surprised how much premium variation for individual policies exists within the same "metal" band. There must be wide variance in the plan designs or provider networks. Where to get more data on the specific plans being quoted and their deductibles, copays, and provider networks?
  • the "off exchange" plans will not be eligible for subsidies. Assuming these plans must also be ACA compliant, why do the carriers not offer them on the exchange and thereby increase their market audience to include those nearly half a million Coloradoans who the site says will be eligible for subsides?
  • the small group rates are generally much higher than individual rates. Adds fuel to the argument that employers will drop coverage, give employees a raise to buy it themselves, and pay the fines. BTW, I'm personally happy with keeping employment separate from HI.
  • noticed a few cases where the same plan has dramatic cost difference in Boulder MSA vs adjoining Denver MSA, and in some cases a plan is only available in one or the other. I'm thinking that in the future criteria for finding a place to live will need to include its healthcare district as well as its school district.
  • what are rates for families? Is it simply # persons x individual rate?
  • surprised to see the section on dental coverage - ACA doesn't require that - in fact I'd be curious to know the history of why health insurance traditionally hasn't included "all" aspects of health and how vision and dental coverage got unbundled as an "essential health benefit"?

Last edited:
Interesting, but without a family of 4 number it isn't all that helpful. I am happy to see Kaiser in there with reasonable prices, since they have a very good track record.

Interesting, but without a family of 4 number it isn't all that helpful

Agree - without knowing the plan design, e.g. specific deductible, copay, and OOP max numbers, and the breadth of the provider networks - I'm not sure these quotes convey useful information.

In fact, clever plan design could be the key reason that most of these early quotes coming from the various states seem so reasonable.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom