Dental costs

chinaco

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Anyone else notice how the cost of dental services has increased... I'll admit, I have not dug up bills from a few years back and compared... but our last few bills for basic services seem higher than I remember.

Our dental insurance premium had a large increase this year also... no doubt because of increased cost of services.

Am I imagining this? Have you seen the same thing?

I am wondering if the insured are experiencing cost shifting? Surely my dentists cost have not increased that much.

http://dentalplans.com/articles/468...xpected-to-increase-dramatically-in-2010.html

Maybe this is it!

http://www.suntimes.com/business/4474232-420/recession-putting-bite-on-dental-care.html

It would really piss me off if I found that my dentist was charging me more because i have insurance and someone that pays cash gets a steep reduction! Or that he is running credit for people and they don't pay and the rest of us eat the cost of the delinquent customers.

I'm a dentist- and I'd have to say that, yes, the costs keep going up because the field is constantly changing, technology is rapidly changing, and the standard of care is changing.

We now have digital xrays that reduce the radiation exposure by up to 90%. We have digital scanners that take impressions with incredible accuracy. We have Cone beam scanning that greatly reduces risks in surgical procedures such as implants. Plus, the traditional porcelain to gold or cast gold crown has become extremely costly simply because gold is so expensive.

We also have so much more knowledge now about oral disease and can and are obligated to treat these problems, and we have so many more options we can offer our patients in terms of care.

Labor costs are also an issue in dentistry. There has been a shortage of dental hygienists for several decades and it is not getting any better, so by law of supply and demand their salaries are quite high.

All this costs money. Add to that the large increase in the number of malpractice lawsuits being filed against dentists these past few years and you see why the prices keep going up.

Dentistry has also had to deal with poor reimbursements from insurance companies that continue to get worse. There are many plans that pay at rates so low that the dentist is actually losing money on the procedures, which puts pressure on them to upsell or cross sell other procedures.

Dentistry has also had to deal with poor reimbursements from insurance companies that continue to get worse. There are many plans that pay at rates so low that the dentist is actually losing money on the procedures, which puts pressure on them to upsell or cross sell other procedures.

My dentist just charges me the difference between what he is paid by my insurance and his normal fee. I assumed this was normal, although my medical doc accepts payment at face value. :confused:

Others?

My dentist just charges me the difference between what he is paid by my insurance and his normal fee. I assumed this was normal, although my medical doc accepts payment at face value. :confused:

Others?

With my dental insurance, "in network" providers acept the insurance payment as full payment, period. "out of network" providers bill you for payment at their rates and you accept the insurance payment, eating the difference if there is one.

Dr's and dentests are not obligated to perform sevices at insurance company rates unless they have contracted with an insurance company to accept their payment as full payment.

My dentist for the last 22 years always had his fees repaid in full by my insurance when I had it. When I had to give up my insurance after I ERed in 2008, I asked if he has any discount for those who do not have insurance. He does not.

And I have seen a rise in the fees for routine services such as cleanings, exams, and X-rays. What cost me between $100 and $150 back in the 1990s now costs me well over $200.

I made sure to get any costly dental work done before I lost the insurance coverage so I would not get clobbered with anything big. If I have 1 or 2 small cavities per year, then my total out-of-pocket costs without insurance were about the same as my COBRA premiums (the last time I had insurance) plus my copays and deductibles.

I will find out if his fees have increased for 2011 because I have my next visit in about one hour from now.

I have elected not to take the dental insurance offered at work as I think it must be a low-end product as none of the "better" dentists around here take it. I am not going to some clinic at this point in my life.

I have gone to the same dentist for the last 18 years, and I trust him completely. He is high tech but does not push anything. He has a CD in his waiting room on some kind of a loop that explains different procedures: porcelain veneers, whitening, implants, etc. but he has never said anything to me about needing anything. I guess if I brought up the subject, he would address it. I am sure I could use some whitening. I think he provides good value for the money. I recently had some cosmetic bonding re-done and he did not charge me, called it a re-treatment. He has a pretty big staff to pay. His employees all stay forever and it seems to be a very congenial environment. I would cut some other "fat" from my expenses before I switched dentists.

What hasn't gone up recently? Gas, cable TV, auto repairs, food, school tuition, utilities.

My only complaint with my dentist is that he does not have a waiting room well-stocked with trashy magazines. I like to look at People and Us and stuff I won't subscribe to but like to read (ha,ha National Enquirer would be good, too). Instead he has an array of uplifting self-improvement books and some coffee table type books with beautiful photographs.

I'm a dentist- and I'd have to say that, yes, the costs keep going up because the field is constantly changing, technology is rapidly changing, and the standard of care is changing.

We now have digital xrays that reduce the radiation exposure by up to 90%. We have digital scanners that take impressions with incredible accuracy. We have Cone beam scanning that greatly reduces risks in surgical procedures such as implants. Plus, the traditional porcelain to gold or cast gold crown has become extremely costly simply because gold is so expensive.

My dentist seems to have the same equipment... been going there for years. I suppose his maintenance or facility expenses could have increased.

Labor costs are also an issue in dentistry. There has been a shortage of dental hygienists for several decades and it is not getting any better, so by law of supply and demand their salaries are quite high.

All this costs money. Add to that the large increase in the number of malpractice lawsuits being filed against dentists these past few years and you see why the prices keep going up.

This could be part of it.

My only complaint with my dentist is that he does not have a waiting room well-stocked with trashy magazines. I like to look at People and Us and stuff I won't subscribe to but like to read (ha,ha National Enquirer would be good, too). Instead he has an array of uplifting self-improvement books and some coffee table type books with beautiful photographs.
The only complaint I have with my dentist is that he died in September (at 53). He was also a friend.

Interesting topic. I'll need to get dental insurance (or self insure?) later this year when I retire.

No dental insurance here, and I don't think our dentist accepts insurance anyway. He is expensive, but, the last time I went there for a crown there was no pain at all. I really don't make paying the little extra. I would rather dance naked in a herpetarium than go to the dentist!

Went to the dentist last week (no cavities for once :D). Price went up $3 this year, from $170 to $173 for a cleaning+examination+x-rays. I shopped around a tiny bit when I went off insurance for my dentist, but not much. There were drastic differences in what different dentists charged, and this one was reasonable.

Interesting topic. I'll need to get dental insurance (or self insure?) later this year when I retire.

There's no such thing as dental "insurance"....only pre-paid dental plans. Most are a waste of money.

Went in for my first retirement dental check up without my company dental insurance. They said I didn't need xrays this time. Cost for the cleaning was $70. Will be $140 with the X-rays. I go every 6months but thinking about every 12 now I'm paying for it. Any opinions from anyone on how often you go? I don't want to waste money, but my teeth are one of the remaining things on my body that doesn't seem to be deteriorating!

I go every 6 months but they do X-rays only once per year, in April.

The exam, cleaning, X-rays, and one small filling cost me $335. At this point, with all the big stuff out of the way, the only extra work I need are fillings which are small ones. If I am cavity-free, which happens maybe 1/3 of the time now, and I don't need X-rays, then I can escape with a total bill under $200 ($145 the last 2 times this happened in 2008 and 2009).

My dentist and his staff are very friendly and compassionate. He makes great effort to minimize any discomfort and warns his staff, especially any new assistants, to be careful with me. It is tough to put a price tag on such treatment. :)

We moved 3 years ago and I had to leave the dentist I had for over 35 years. Until I retired I had dental insurance and rarely had to pay the dentist out of pocket. I have no insurance now, the new dentist is very high tech. Recently I had a filling replaced; he does not use gold but a type of resin. Cost: $200! I was shocked! He does give a 10 percent discount for cash payment.

When I lost my dental insurance at ER, I talked to my dentist and hygienist, asked if it was OK to go to a yearly rather than twice yearly cleaning. They said as long as I was extra diligent with at-home care it was OK.

I just had my annual cleaning and the hygienist gave me a few spots to watch for tartar buildup and set my next appointment for a year out. The charge was $135 for the cleaning and what seemed like a thorough checkup with the dentist. I asked them to defer x-rays and they were fine with it.

For a couple of decades in the military, the routine was to see the dentist every year. In the couple of decades since retiring, I've kept that practice. Dentist sends a reminder postcard every six months, but I ignore them and simply make my annual appointment every summer. No problems. I always get praised at the checkup, because I'm good about flossing and brushing. Aside from unusual things like a crown falling off or a broken tooth, I think annual checkups are just fine. That practice has worked for me for nearly half a century.

My only complaint with my dentist is that he does not have a waiting room well-stocked with trashy magazines...
Both my dentist and the former orthodontist for my children had yachting magazines in their waiting rooms. Expensive, luxurious yachts! That told me something right there. Darn!

My only complaint with my dentist is that he does not have a waiting room well-stocked with trashy magazines....

Okay..reminds of a Seinfeld episode where his dentist stocked Penthouse magazine... Only on Seinfeld...:LOL:

Back to the topic on hand, I had dental insurance on my own shortly after I retired but since has dropped that and just pay by myself. It really didn't seem to make financial sense (those deductibles and yearly limits and waiting periods, plus just the premium put me about $500 in the hole at the start of the year). My dentist is in the AARP plan, so when I reach that magical age :), maybe I'll take another look then at dental insurance.

In the meantime, I consider my HSA my dental insurance reimbursing myself from the HSA funds each year. Good to know at least there is a tax benefit with these funds.

Got a dental visit tomorrow and expect pretty big upcoming expenses :blush:

I have been with my dentist for 25+ years. I do not have dental insurance, but he grants me a 10% senior discount which I appreciate. When I turned 65 last year and noticed the discount on the statement (I was unaware of the policy) I made it a point next time that I had an appointment to thank him and his front office folks for the discount. I was advised that I was the first person in a long time that even acknowledged the discount or thanked him for it.

My doc has a bad back. He says that it's not unusual for dentists to have a bad back. I guess I can see how that would be a problem over 30-40 years. Is this an industry-wide problem novaman?

I moved to Phoenix with an abcessed tooth of all things. I knew what it was right away, and went to the dental school here upon arrival. When I saw that they assigned me this nice young man--who had the nerves of Don Knotts--I said no way.
Left there and went to the grocery store after that appointment, and, because I'm like this, turned to the Asst. Manager of the grocery who was talking to some kid's dad and asked if they knew a Dentist that did implants?
This led me to a Dentist who graduated from the #1 dental school in the country who took his boards and came in #1--and who doesn't advertise but charges 20% less because of it.
Could I get that lucky again? Probably not.:rolleyes:

I moved to Phoenix with an abcessed tooth of all things. I knew what it was right away, and went to the dental school here upon arrival. When I saw that they assigned me this nice young man--who had the nerves of Don Knotts--I said no way.
Left there and went to the grocery store after that appointment, and, because I'm like this, turned to the Asst. Manager of the grocery who was talking to some kid's dad and asked if they knew a Dentist that did implants?
This led me to a Dentist who graduated from the #1 dental school in the country who took his boards and came in #1--and who doesn't advertise but charges 20% less because of it.
Could I get that lucky again? Probably not.:rolleyes:

The nerves of Don Knotts as a dentist :LOL:.

One thing I've noticed about my dentist. He has very steady hands. Wouldn't want someone to be all fidgety and shaky working there.

Did you go ahead with the dental implant? How did it go? Was it a breeze or a challenge? I'm just at the very start of going to get an implant so do have some butterflies.

Back
Top Bottom