Do you ask for a discount from Dr/Dentist?

Do you ask for discounts from Dr/Dentist?

• Yes, I ask and always get one.

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • Yes I ask, and often get one.

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • Yes I ask, but never get one.

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • No, I never ask-I have coverage that pays.

Votes: 15 44.1%
  • No, I never ask, I would be too embararassed.

Votes: 11 32.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bizlady

Full time employment: Posting here.
As we are approaching ER, I notice more and more the "discounts" we get off rates from having insurance. Since we will lose some of this, it got me thinking about asking for discounts from providers if I pay them right away at the time of service.

Would others care to share their results if they have tried this?

Perhaps I should, but I don't come out and ask for a discount from my dentist. Maybe it's a guy thing similar to not stopping and asking for directions? All I need is a GPS device to ask the dentist for a discount for me, then I'm all set :LOL:

For my Dr., I have private coverage (HSA), so just let my insurance process the claims.

I have medical coverage so I don't ask for a discount from my doctor.

I do not have dental coverage and I pay cash, on my way out the door. My dentist automatically gives me a discount and I don't have to ask for it.

Perhaps I should, but I don't come out and ask for a discount from my dentist.
When we told our kid's dentist that we no longer had insurance, the billing clerk squealed "Yahoo!" and gave us a 25% discount.

I do the same with my dentist. Not only do I get the discount, I only go every two years or so.

My company still pays for my dental insurance. Why, I do not know. I guess so they feel like they can call and ask me a question. But they haven't called in over a year so who knows. But I'm glad they do. So to answer your question, no I don't ask for discounts.

How exactly does this work ?

I met this tall scantily clad woman standing on the street corner. She asked me if I wanted to "party" for $50.

I told her no but would gladly celebrate with her for $25.

I have medical insurance so would not think about asking for a discount from any of my doctors. I do not participate in our dental plan as my dentist does not take many insurances, including what is offered by my employer. I would never consider asking him for a discount. I think he is reasonably priced and offers good value for the service I receive.

I met this tall scantily clad woman standing on the street corner. She asked me if I wanted to "party" for $50.

I told her no but would gladly celebrate with her for $25.

So, did she say we'll split the difference and for $37.20.... oh, nevermind :LOL:

I responded by selecting the first yes answer.

When I turned 65 I got an immediate 10% discount. I did not even know that he had such a policy. I made it a point to thank him for the discount the next time that I had a visit. He told me that very few of his patients ever thank him or even notice that they got a discount.

No, I have never done it; but, if anyone has, I'm totally game to try, also.:)

I have no embarrassment getting Sr. anything anymore, too..ha!:D

Ask your dentist what discount he will give if you don't use any Novacain on that Root Canal ?

The first time I went to my (long-time) dentist without dental insurance, I was shocked at how much higher my bill was for routine services. I asked about a discount or any insurance/discount program they could recommend, and they didn't have any suggestions. I was disappointed by this, so I started researching online. I found a dental discount program (not insurance) that costs me about $100/year and saves me more than that, even with just routine services in a year.

I got the impression that the dental staff weren't too happy about it the next time I went. I wanted to tell them that I'd have gladly have paid them the money I was paying the discount program, if only they'd seemed willing to negotiate a bit of a discount. I guess I'm too reserved/polite/whatever so I just said nothing. But I do think it would be good business for a medical office to offer at least a small discount to a long-time patient without insurance.

I spent some swing bed time in the local hospital a couple of years ago. My insurance didn't cover swing bed and when I asked for a discount for cash payment they took 10% off.

I don't have dental coverage in retirement. My dentist does give a 10% senior/retired discount and I started getting it without asking.

As soon as I retired and said I no longer had insurance, they told me about the program...

For those reluctant to ask the dentist for a discount, perhaps you can find an ally. I spend a lot more time w/ the hygienist who cleans my teeth than the dentist who usually just waltzes in, admires his prior work, then waltzes out a few minutes later. When she (the hygienist) found out , I no longer had dental insurance, she urged me to ask the dentist for a discount. I was reluctant but asked her if she would do it. I think she just got together w/ the receptionist and set it up. Not sure if the dentist knows.

Haven't had dental insurance for decades. Have never asked for a discount. As long as I can afford it, why should I try to pay less? He does good work.

I gotta ask...swing bed time? I'm guessing... hammock?:whistle:

I had a broken leg and could not get up the stairs into my house for a short time. Swing bed is sort of a minimum care situation in a hospital. As it was explained to me you are essentially getting room and board for a short period. The alternative was a nursing home and I didn't want that under any circumstances. It is outrageously expensive though, about $200 per day here.

Back
Top Bottom