Do You Get Car Lag?

Do you get car lag?

I got home yesterday after driving about 1,300 miles in a week.

Went to bed last night about 8 pm, slept for about 11 hours. But today, still find it hard not to drift off and doze off. Usually takes a few days for the car lag to wear off.
Isn't this just plain exhaustion? Lag implies diurnal disruption.

Get old enough and by your definition we will experience rocking chair lag.

ha

This Friday, after work, DW's daughter/hubby, 5 year old daughter, 18 month old twin girls, and 12 year old/8 1/2 year old nieces, are driving non-stop (other than fuel/food/potty stops) to Florida, some 1,400 miles.

They'll stay one week and drive straight back...then return to work.

Ah, to be young.

Last edited:
No,we often do trips that involve two back to back days of 12-13 hours of driving ( no stops other than restroom and gasoline breaks). I seem to recover fine from it. I think it has something to do with the fact that I actually find driving relaxing for some reason (except for the times when I'm stuck in a traffic jam :mad:. ). My DW on the other hand is so tense when she drives that she is quite literally exhausted after 30 minutes. I've long since taken over both driving shifts. :D

Last edited:
Just returned from a two week holiday and did about 2600 miles of driving (mostly Ontario>Georgia and back).

I don't find it to tiring (as long as the weather is good) but man oh man, I am really starting to hate hotels as I get older. A bad nights sleep can make the driving miserable.

Noisy people, poor sound proofing, over heated, non opening windows, etc.. Am ever grateful they invented Airbnb and the like. I told DW that if we had to spend the two weeks in a hotel instead of a house, I'd just flat out stop taking vacation.:mad:

DW and I both hate driving so we always arrange trips where our friends drive and we pay for the gas. They don't feel used and we all enjoy the experience.

Back
Top Bottom