Votes: 4 5.4%
  • I might get one

Votes: 4 5.4%
  • Not this year

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Never get 'em

Votes: 17 23.0%

• Total voters
I am not a doctor but I am 90% of the way to a degree in natural health (naturopathy). Immunity to a specific bug is never better than a healthy immune system that will respond to anything. The flu shot is always a guesstimate concoction of what bugs someone thinks will be prevalent the next year. Maybe they get it right, maybe not. Sometimes the reaction is not to the deactivated bug, but the other junk in the preparation.

Naturopathy would say a healthy immune system depends upon the basics-- good food (esp protein); antioxidants (Vit A, C, E, selenium) to assist in their activation and prevent destruction by free radicals; sufficient rest a receptive, happy attitude towards life (stress is a big depressor);healthy gut flora (active yogurt culture or acidophilus pills);and most of all as little sugar in the diet as possible (that includes fruit and juice). Sugar depresses immune funcion. The classic study is that a glass of orange juice depresses the immune system 50% for 5 hours.

There is a great homeoathic preparation called oscillococcinum (Oscillo for short) that if taken at the first sign of "fluey" symptoms often stops the condition in its tracks. People can also take shark oil which kicks the immune system into gear. I have not had the flu in at least 15 years since I started on this kick.

OHjosh said:
I am not a doctor but I am 90% of the way to a degree in natural health (naturopathy). Immunity to a specific bug is never better than a healthy immune system that will respond to anything. The flu shot is always a guesstimate concoction of what bugs someone thinks will be prevalent the next year. Maybe they get it right, maybe not. Sometimes the reaction is not to the deactivated bug, but the other junk in the preparation.

Naturopathy would say a healthy immune system depends upon the basics-- good food (esp protein); antioxidants (Vit A, C, E, selenium) to assist in their activation and prevent destruction by free radicals; sufficient rest a receptive, happy attitude towards life (stress is a big depressor);healthy gut flora (active yogurt culture or acidophilus pills);and most of all as little sugar in the diet as possible (that includes fruit and juice). Sugar depresses immune funcion. The classic study is that a glass of orange juice depresses the immune system 50% for 5 hours.

There is a great homeoathic preparation called oscillococcinum (Oscillo for short) that if taken at the first sign of "fluey" symptoms often stops the condition in its tracks. People can also take shark oil which kicks the immune system into gear. I have not had the flu in at least 15 years since I started on this kick.

IMOH a healthy immune system is fundamental to good health. Flu shots are the result of a best guess. As good is medical science is it is not 100% in preparing for pandemic illnesses but if we wait until an infectious disease IDs itself it will be too late for most of humanity. However, there are some diseases that have/are killers that overwhelm the best immune system. Small pox is a great example. The new HepB shots will lower the incidence of specific forms of cancer and HepB can be passed in utero.

I was under the impression the 1918 flu was virulent to those with the most healthy immune systems.

The virus provoked an overreaction of the immune system and the patient suffocated in excess fluids.

Zipper said:
I was under the impression the 1918 flu was virulent to those with the most healthy immune systems.

The virus provoked an overreaction of the immune system and the patient suffocated in excess fluids.

My understanding as well. It is also my understanding that the 'Bird Flu" virus behaves similarly.

Interesting analysis of the 1918 pandemic: http://tinyurl.com/yfr94g
Look at the list of historical documents, the next to the last one.

Pandemics http://tinyurl.com/yfyokb

[edited to provide links]

I got my flu shot at the VA Clinic in October... no charge.

Gonzo

That's my understanding also. I read a great book on this called "Flu," appropriately enough. Young, healthy folks died in much higher numbers than did those over 40 or so. One theory as to why this happened is that a weaker flu with some relation to the 1918 virus had come through YEARS earlier and had conferred some immunity on the older folks -- enough to save a lot of them when the big one hit.

This led me to wonder -- if a new pandemic comes along, and if by chance it is caused by a flu bug that's related in some way to an older version, then would it make sense to get the shots every year so as to have some possible protection against the killer bug?

I asked my doctor this question. He told me that a) shots of dead vaccine will help somewhat, b) that live vaccine would help even more, and c) that getting a full-blown flu would offer the most protection, IF a new, virulent flu comes along that's related to the older ones.

I'm not going so far as to catch the flu if I can help it, :p but I will go with one of the other options.

The links I provided earlier is from an Actuary Society website... insurers, both life and health, as well as businesses need to consider the posibilities.

What I found interesting is the differences in the % of those who caught the flu and those who died from it, by age group. It looked to me that more young adults died than any age group. I would need to look at the #s again to consider whether the numbers have been adjusted for the population composition.

I've had a flu shot every year for the last 30 years. That's what happens when you're a captive audience (active duty & AF reserves since 1977). So far it hasn't killed me, and I haven't become ill after getting the shot. Last month, for the first time ever, I got the mist instead of the actual shot. I think I prefer the shot, but they didn't ask my opinion.

I've never gotten the shot. Two co-workers that I know of just got them, both got sick. One of them was out for a week. She says she will never get them again. The other one just got hers. I don't know...... :confused:

mountaintosea said:
I've never gotten the shot. Two co-workers that I know of just got them, both got sick. One of them was out for a week. She says she will never get them again. The other one just got hers. I don't know...... :confused:

Counterpoint: I've been getting flu shots regularly for 12 years now. I had the flu twice before then, but have never gotten the flu since I started getting the flu shot.

The N.Y. Times has a Q&A article in the health section about this very thing.

Question: If flu shots meant to keep you from getting sick make you sick, are they worth it?

Answer: The question assumes that flu shots are a common source of sickness. In fact, the inactivated-virus influenza vaccine, which may prevent a life-threatening illness, is only rarely associated with serious illness and cannot itself cause the flu, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention . . . . Sometimes, a coincidental respiratory infection may occur after a flu shot, leading the patient to assume, wrongly, that it resulted from the shot . In placebo-controlled studies among adults, the most frequent side effect of vaccination is soreness (usually mild) at the vaccination site that lasts less than two days.

Back
Top Bottom