Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-21-2012, 12:32 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
DFW_M5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 4,982
Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
No exercise goals here.


Play Ju-jutsu on and off for nearly 45 years now. Still do when willing partners show up, or I feel like traveling a bit. I particulary like good throws and being thrown with skill. In addition to the mental aspects. Landing gives good vibrations throughout the body, literally.
Are you an MMA fan? I must admit I am interested in learning some BJJ. Also, striking is a lot of fun and that does create some good vibrations from head to toe, unless your on the receiving end
__________________

__________________
DFW_M5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2012, 06:54 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
ls99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,792
No I am not a fan of MMA. I watched a match once, that was instructive, and enough.

I am more of a doer. Frankly, at 64 and change I would not consider getting into the ring either.

The only sport I ever watch is figure skating, even that is rare.

I started out in Ju-jutsu after various systems of karate in my 20's. The first Ju-jutsu class I ever saw, having asked for permission to observe, watched with absolute awe and fascination. After an hour and half the instructor spoke to me and said, most people leave after 10 or 15 minutes. I found a home.

I like the art, the finesse and the mental game. Besides it is very good conditioning system. Picking my body off the floor 30 to 40 times during class or just playing is a workout in and of itself.

By the way, strikes in jutsu are very hard as well. These systems are often referred to as soft style. Quiet a misnomer. The punches/strikes are hard, blocking is accomplished as guide blocks, not an attempt to stop the incoming. The objective is to evade and/or redirect the incoming, the focus and attention of the aggressor, etc. etc. A miss by a 1/2" is a miss, unlike in handgrandes. Of course being prepared for and expecting the followup punches and kicks. Volumes have been written on the subject by practitioners far more skilled than I.
__________________

__________________
There must be moderation in everything, including moderation.
ls99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:38 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.
Moscyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 728
No specific goals but just aim to maintain weight (have already lost 4 lbs since I ER and in my ideal weight now), tone up muscles and keep healthy. Don't like tournaments or joining major events, so tend not to train or push myself to that level. ER allows me to exercise every day with peace of mind and extended time (no rush or feeling or irritation if I find gym equipments occupied when I want to use them). ER also allows me to have varied activities - I go to gym 3 times a week, golf twice a week and swim once a week. Sometimes, I do outdoor brisk walking or aerobics/yoga. I did try kick boxing last week but I think too strenous for me now. Exercise becomes part of my life and if I go on vacation, I kind of miss my routine. It certainly looks like I need not set goals like "losing x lbs" or "competing in x marathon" to continue exercising since it has become a routine activity which I enjoy.
__________________
Moscyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:02 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
DFW_M5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 4,982
Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
No I am not a fan of MMA. I watched a match once, that was instructive, and enough.

I am more of a doer. Frankly, at 64 and change I would not consider getting into the ring either.

The only sport I ever watch is figure skating, even that is rare.

I started out in Ju-jutsu after various systems of karate in my 20's. The first Ju-jutsu class I ever saw, having asked for permission to observe, watched with absolute awe and fascination. After an hour and half the instructor spoke to me and said, most people leave after 10 or 15 minutes. I found a home.

I like the art, the finesse and the mental game. Besides it is very good conditioning system. Picking my body off the floor 30 to 40 times during class or just playing is a workout in and of itself.

By the way, strikes in jutsu are very hard as well. These systems are often referred to as soft style. Quiet a misnomer. The punches/strikes are hard, blocking is accomplished as guide blocks, not an attempt to stop the incoming. The objective is to evade and/or redirect the incoming, the focus and attention of the aggressor, etc. etc. A miss by a 1/2" is a miss, unlike in handgrandes. Of course being prepared for and expecting the followup punches and kicks. Volumes have been written on the subject by practitioners far more skilled than I.
At 64, this is very impressive. Your AVI was appropriately chosen
__________________
DFW_M5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 02:03 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 728
Tape your favorite TV programs, set up a treadmill behind a TV and walk while forgeting that you're even excercising since you are focused on your TV.

I do this for 17 miles each week, 2.5 most days, watching old Sienfelds, Fraser Crain or any number of "old" comedy re-runs. I've lost 45 lbs over the past years, feel better now than I did 10 years ago. I do a little upper body as well....going for a total of 300 minutes excercise per week.

Overall, if you enjoy it, you'll do it! Congrats on your weight loss......you're already doing better than most.
__________________
jerome len is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:39 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus
Nords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Oahu
Posts: 26,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome len View Post
Tape your favorite TV programs, set up a treadmill behind a TV and walk while forgeting that you're even excercising since you are focused on your TV.
I do this for 17 miles each week, 2.5 most days, watching old Sienfelds, Fraser Crain or any number of "old" comedy re-runs. I've lost 45 lbs over the past years, feel better now than I did 10 years ago. I do a little upper body as well....going for a total of 300 minutes excercise per week.
Overall, if you enjoy it, you'll do it! Congrats on your weight loss......you're already doing better than most.
I've been trying to persuade my spouse that she could do this, including the bonus of connecting the treadmill to an electrical generator to power the TV and the rest of the house.

Regrettably, her thoughtful and exceedingly thorough response is not suitable for reprinting on a family discussion board.
__________________
*
*

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:07 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 135
I'm not retired yet, but I do find that setting goals for myself, at least in the beginning, was how I got into the habit of daily exercise. Now it's such a part of my life, and the mental and physical benefits I get from it are so great.

Even though it's now routine, I still set goals like race 10 different distances in a year, age group placing, setting PRs, doing 5,000 push ups a year, etc. I also found that marking down what I did on a calendar made a huge difference in my commitment to exercise. I didn't want to see too many blank days, and it's fun to go back and see what I did on this day last year, etc.

Of course, I am a list-type person, so this wouldn't necessarily work for everyone, but it makes it fun for me!
__________________
Marathoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 05:54 AM   #28
Dryer sheet wannabe
Hud3's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Nevis, West Indies
Posts: 22
Rather than specific goals, I've found that it helps me more to have friends to exercise with.

We're blessed with good weather year-round here, so I'm able to cycle with a small group three days a week. We start at sun-up and go pretty hard for an hour or two. I hike (aerobically, on wooded trails that go up and down the mountain) twice a week with another group, and play golf once a week on our Nevis Golf Association's little 12 hole pitch-and-putt course.

Exercising in a group that encourages and supports each other makes it easier to keep at it and not make excuses to take a day off. As far as goals, I just push myself as hard as I can and am happy to see small, continual improvements in my cardio capacity, endurance and weight over time.
__________________
Hud
Hud3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:59 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 354
I have found I do much better with a goal and a structured program -- that way I am clearly working toward something and can see visible improvement, as well as having something concrete to strive for. I tried working with a trainer last year, and either he was crappy or not a good fit for me, but I made very little progress. After my sessions with him ended (he left the gym, so good excuse not to continue), I jumped into Couch to 5k and discovered I actually like running. I was getting a rut with my own goals, though, so looked for some more structured programs and found Hal Higdon's site. I just finished the 10k novice 8 week program, and discovered I don't really enjoy longer distances, so now I'm going back to the 5k intermediate program, which has enough different stuff in it to keep it interesting. I actually really enjoyed the first day of 400m sprints. I'll probably turn at least one of the weekly 3 mile runs into another interval-style run.

I notice an obvious difference in my mood and energy level when I don't excercise -- stress level goes up, mood and energy goes down. 4-6 days a week seems to be my required dose.
__________________
lhamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 07:17 AM   #30
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I've been trying to persuade my spouse that she could do this, including the bonus of connecting the treadmill to an electrical generator to power the TV and the rest of the house.

Regrettably, her thoughtful and exceedingly thorough response is not suitable for reprinting on a family discussion board.

Nords- are you married to my wife? I could have written the identical response. However, as I posted a short while back I finally found an answer - I bought DW a new bicycle.
__________________
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 07:39 AM   #31
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
DFW_M5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 4,982
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I've been trying to persuade my spouse that she could do this, including the bonus of connecting the treadmill to an electrical generator to power the TV and the rest of the house.

Regrettably, her thoughtful and exceedingly thorough response is not suitable for reprinting on a family discussion board.
Perhaps she would be more amenable to holding a solar panel over her head outdoors and following the direction of the sun for a few hours a day
__________________
DFW_M5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:21 AM   #32
Full time employment: Posting here.
hankster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 645
I live in a rural area and am fortunate to have roads and hiking trails near the house. Treadmills, stationary bikes, stairmasters etc. just don't work for me, even with a show or movie to watch while excercising.

The problem for me is putting on the boots and getting out the door. Once I get going, I'm always glad that I did.

Winter makes it even harder to motivate myself to get out the door since it involves rounding up appropriate clothing and gear for the conditions. I just have to be consistent enough to turn excercise into a habit, which would sure be a lot easier if I was ERed
__________________

__________________
"There is no dignity quite so impressive, and no independence quite so important, as living within your means." Calvin Coolidge
hankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:45 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.