Frequency of dental checkups & eye exams

. Seems that the overwhelming consensus is to spend the money for regular frequent checkups.

"A stitch in time..." as the old saying goes.

Dental cleaning 3x a year, eye exam once a year.

I ave a great eye doctor but every year he finds an ever so slight change that requires a new prescription ("Which is clearer, 7 or 8?" "Doc, they honestly look exactly the same to me!" :)) Then the "sales" side of the group wants me to spend for new glasses, which from then can be pricey. I tend to only get a new pair (not always from them) every few years if I can really notice the difference.

I place a high value on teeth and vision, among other things. I'd feel pretty stupid if I lost either because I was too cheap to pay for a checkup.

+1

Same goes for annual, routine physical exams. It's baffling to me why some people forego these basic checkups, especially folks beyond the age of 40. But I know several who do and who are otherwise rational, intelligent people.

I think from reading previous posts on this that most retirees don't carry dental or vision insurance. We elected to go without as it seemed like a breakeven proposition. Pre ER, when we had this coverage, we had two dental cleanings and an eye exam every year. Just wondering if this frequency is really necessary, or just something we were conditioned to do because that's what insurance covered. We don't want to be short sighted and forego sensible preventative care to save a few bucks, but we don't want to be wasteful either.

How frequently do you have dental cleanings and eye exams?

I am 69 and do not have vision or dental insurance.

Dentist: My teeth are so bad, that my dentist and I are best pals. I don't even schedule regular checkups, because I am in there so frequently for implants, root canals, and so on. I seldom go more than 2-3 months without needing to see him for one reason or another. He is in his 40's with 1 kid in college and several more on the verge of it. I guess my bad teeth are sending his kids to college. :angel: But I am SO glad to have an excellent, young dentist that I trust for all this dental work.

Eye exams: Honestly I have not had to use any glasses other than readers since my cataract surgery in October of 2015, so I have not had a vision refraction done. Before that, I went at least once a year and got a new prescription and new glasses, and my insurance does not cover that. But now, my eyes seem to be more stable. I have to see an ophthalmologist once a year anyway, because of type 2 diabetes He is mostly looking for damage due to that, but he also checks my vision. While he doesn't do a refraction, he has me read one of those charts with big letters, and double checks with a machine to make sure I still have excellent vision. My regular insurance covers that.

If your teeth are bad, I'd allow several thousand per year just in case. I was really surprised at how my much worse my teeth got when I turned 67 or so. Not that they were great before then, but I started getting implants and they are not cheap.

Last edited:
Teeth cleaning twice a year. Like my hygienist so much I never miss a chance to see her. I ask that no x-rays be taken unless there's a reason. The dentist likes to do them more often then I care for but it works out about every two years for x-rays.
Retiree vision insurance sucks. CostCo is a better deal without using insurance. I'll keep it at every two years or more often if I notice a vision change.

You mean rational and intelligent people like these folks from the Harvard Medical School?

A checkup for the checkup: Do you really need a yearly physical?

Interesting article. Clearly, they raise some valid points. But I wonder how you'd keep track of important health data points like fasting blood glucose, A1C, liver enzyme levels, HDL/LDL levels, and other indicators of potential health issues if you're not getting checked at regular intervals. I didn't read the original text of the editorial, but I wonder if the authors recommend only getting tested if you begin to experience specific symptoms. Personally, I want to know as early as reasonably possible if my A1C is approaching pre-diabetic levels. It's impossible to know this without getting tested. Same goes for high blood pressure, the so called "silent killer". I think I'll read the original, full article in The New England Journal of Medicine to see what the authors recommend in lieu of regular screening/testing.

I investigated dental insurance pretty thoroughly when our dental cobra ran out. Our dentist only takes PPO. We are a family of 4 and see the dentist 2x year and have xrays 1x year.

The dental insurance available to private parties has all sorts of exclusions for anywhere from 6 months to 2 years... No coverage for anything but cleanings for that window. Most didn't have any coverage for implants. I considered it but it just didn't pencil out - even though both DH and I are of an age where our fillings are being replaced by crowns and older crowns are being replaced. We self pay.

Unfortunately, despite my trying to negotiate cash rates that match our old insurance's negotiated rate our dentist wouldn't do it. So we pay full freight.

That said - it was the dentist who spotted the ameloblastoma on my son's jaw - which was a good thing to catch while he still had lots of jawbone... Fortunately, health insurance covered (although high deductible) the surgery.

Eye care - I'm the only member of the family with glasses. They do an eye exam on the boys at their annual physicals and they both have excellent eyesight. I tend to make an appointment when it seems my glasses need updating. I use costco to save money.

I'm really an outlier here.

Vision exam every two years. I've always been extremely nearsighted but vision almost never changes much in two years.

When I was young, my parents sent me for a dental checkup once a year. During my whole military career it was also once a year (some years were skipped entirely due to my moving around a lot).

Since retiring, I've pretty much kept to the once a year schedule, although I sometimes shorten it to about eight months to keep DW happy.

I've never heard anything but "you're doing a great job" from a dentist or hygienist, so I guess I'll keep it up.

Retired Dentist Here: I can't speak for eyes, but the proper interval for your dental cleanings is totally dependent upon your oral condition.

Not as technically astute as a retired DDS, but I go as often as needed. I was going every couple years and the hygienist said there wasn't really anything she needed to do. She'd find some spots on the back teeth and such, but no big deal. I'll keep that interval until I go and there are issues.

Same for eyes. Every couple years. If I noticed anything, I'd be right into see a Dr., however, for many years, my prescription and my general eye health has not changed.

Again, anything noticed even a little questionable, I'm making an appointment.

Interesting article. Clearly, they raise some valid points. But I wonder how you'd keep track of important health data points like fasting blood glucose, A1C, liver enzyme levels, HDL/LDL levels, and other indicators of potential health issues if you're not getting checked at regular intervals. I didn't read the original text of the editorial, but I wonder if the authors recommend only getting tested if you begin to experience specific symptoms. Personally, I want to know as early as reasonably possible if my A1C is approaching pre-diabetic levels. It's impossible to know this without getting tested. Same goes for high blood pressure, the so called "silent killer". I think I'll read the original, full article in The New England Journal of Medicine to see what the authors recommend in lieu of regular screening/testing.

You can get these tests done for minimal cost yourself. Check it out.

Very interesting timing on this thread, as I'm scheduled for my routine dental cleaning later this afternoon.

A few years ago, I decided to start scheduling cleanings once every 8-9 months, since I don't have dental insurance and my dentist said that would be perfectly OK considering my overall dental health.

As for vision checkups, I try to go once every 2-3 years.

I've started doing the same on dental cleanings. Every 9 months. I'm back on once a year vision checks after a couple of years of 6 month intervals. My vision doc had/has me categorize as a preglaucoma candidate but my eyes have not worsened so back to once a year. I only pay a $25 copay on my eye appointments but dental is all out of pocket.

Frequency of dental checkups & eye exams

I hate going to the dentist. Once a year unless otherwise needed.

Last edited:
We have always gone to the dentist on a regular basis. Once every six months or so. We had great benefits.

Now retired, away often, and instead of a dental plan we are on a health savings account.

We decided to switch to an electric toothbrush. It has made a huge difference in our gums and dental routine. Waited nine months, went in for the cleaning and checkup. When I did it manually sometimes it would be a quick brush. The electric job has a timer for each four sides so it disciplines me. Also use about 1/2 of the toothpaste that we used to.

The hygienist was surprised at the change. Gums in much better conditin (no bleeding) and substantially less plaque etc. I did not tell her until she had finished and commented. Then told we had made the switch. So, instead of 6-9 month checkup we are/have moved to 9-12 months checkups. If all is well on the next visit it will be 12mo for now on.

Yes, an electric toothbrush with quadpacer (it times you for 30 sec. in each quadrant) along with religious flossing offers huge benefits.

Anecdote: my sister, even with regular cleanings and an electric toothbrush was having periodontal issues, deep pockets, etc...to the point where her dentist was recommending a complete extraction (ALL of her teeth -- doing a quadrant at a time to let the tissues heal up). Obviously, she was quite alarmed.

I suggested getting a second opinion. And l also shared that my dentist (who is an MD as well as as DDS) had told me a few years prior to take CoQ10 supplements (200-300mg/day) just as a preventative. She said it works at the mitrochondrial level healing "the building blocks of cells".

My sister started taking CoQ10 daily. At her next cleaning, the hygenist and dentist remarked on how much improved my sister's gums were. She then told them about her CoQ10 regime. They told her to keep on doing whatever whe was doing, as the positive results were evident.

All her periodontal issues have since cleared up and she still has all of her teeth. :D And she is a CoQ10 believer.

omni

I go to the dentist 3 times a year for cleanings and exams. I have no dental insurance. They give me a 10% senior discount and I pay them from the HSA account.

Another plaque factory here. I got to the dentist four times a year for cleaning, two a year are covered the other two I pay cash, and for glasses once a year, which is covered unless you want fancy frames.

My health insurance requires an annual blood test and physical, an annual dental cleaning and exam, and a biennial eye exam. If I don't go, they charge me $1200 a year more. If they didn't, I probably wouldn't do any of it except the dentist.

I go to the dentist twice a year for routine cleanings and X-rays once a year. i have his office's dental plan that covers this plus a 20% discount on anything else needing work at $360/year. Luckily my teeth generally don't need much work.

I go to the ophthalmologist every 4 months for eye pressure checks. I have glaucoma being controlled by trabeculectomy surgery in both eyes. My vision is not far from normal - some astigmatism, but varies lots each day as I have to massage my eyes to make sure the trabeculectomy holes stay open which alters my vision a bit. It's not worthwhile to get glasses for the variation I have during the day.

Yes, an electric toothbrush with quadpacer (it times you for 30 sec. in each quadrant) along with religious flossing offers huge benefits.

Anecdote: my sister, even with regular cleanings and an electric toothbrush was having periodontal issues, deep pockets, etc...to the point where her dentist was recommending a complete extraction (ALL of her teeth -- doing a quadrant at a time to let the tissues heal up). Obviously, she was quite alarmed.

I suggested getting a second opinion. And l also shared that my dentist (who is an MD as well as as DDS) had told me a few years prior to take CoQ10 supplements (200-300mg/day) just as a preventative. She said it works at the mitrochondrial level healing "the building blocks of cells".

My sister started taking CoQ10 daily. At her next cleaning, the hygenist and dentist remarked on how much improved my sister's gums were. She then told them about her CoQ10 regime. They told her to keep on doing whatever whe was doing, as the positive results were evident.

All her periodontal issues have since cleared up and she still has all of her teeth. :D And she is a CoQ10 believer.

omni

Thank you for sharing your sister's experience! There is research to suggest that CoQ10 can help support gum health (here is a research article for those interested: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2991687/).

I am also a "CoQ10 believer" and take a water and fat-soluble form of CoQ10 for better absorption.

What gets me about dentists, is most offices do a terrible job at cleaning teeth. The hygienist quickly does my teeth and the dentist gives a cursory look.

My present dentist charges more, but he does it himself and he does a great job. I would guess 80% of the hygienists do perfunctory work at best.

What gets me about dentists, is most offices do a terrible job at cleaning teeth. The hygienist quickly does my teeth and the dentist gives a cursory look.

My present dentist charges more, but he does it himself and he does a great job. I would guess 80% of the hygienists do perfunctory work at best.

The main reason that I have gone to the same dentist's office for 30 years, despite their not accepting dental insurance for most of that time, is my dental hygienist. She is very methodical, does a great job of cleaning my teeth, and carefully tracks the size of my pockets and my progress. And I was mistaken when I wrote that I had semi-annual cleanings once diagnosed with periodontal disease. It was every four months for 10-15 years and is now every three months for the last few years - I'm age 62. I've never had a root canal or crown but I know that time is coming.

My hygienist does a very thorough job. Never a bit of shmoots in my mouth left when I leave.

Back
Top Bottom