Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-01-2013, 09:08 AM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

More and more people seem to subscribe to the JERF philosophy. It certainly makes things less confusing.

Note: no endorsement intended or implied. I have not bought the shirt, but I do think it is an interesting comment on the food industry.

JERF Men’s Tee | Underground Wellness

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2013, 12:10 AM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

DW is allergic to wheat (not gluten), but it is easiest to shop gluten free to ensure that our groceries are wheat free. One of the best ways to shop gluten free in the grocery store is to shop mostly around the perimeter of the store instead of within the isles. The fresh fruits and vegetables, meats, and dairy products are almost always on the outer edges of the grocery stores. DW has searched in vain for a good all-purpose gluten free flour, but most are just not that good - that would be the Holy Grail for those allergic to wheat and gluten.

Old 02-02-2013, 01:13 AM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

There are many delicious recipes made with almond flour or coconut flour. Check out elanaspantry.com for recipes. I make her Mini Blueberry Muffins several times weekly. DH and I eat about 90% paleo and love it. Two of our daughters have also "gone paleo" and have had hormone and blood sugar issues clear up. I avoid wheat, but eat other grains very occasionally, like rice when we go for sushi.

Eating out can be difficult but restaurants are getting smarter. Panera Bread has come out with "hidden menu" with a few delicious options.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:02 AM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainsBeGone View Post
DW has searched in vain for a good all-purpose gluten free flour, but most are just not that good - that would be the Holy Grail for those allergic to wheat and gluten.
Our Story on Gluten Free :: Bobís Red Mill Natural Foods

This can be found in many places, including Costco:

Gluten Free All Purpose Baking Flour :: Bob's Red Mill Natural Foods

Quote:
Ingredients:
garbanzo bean flour, potato starch, tapioca flour, whole grain sweet white sorghum flour, fava bean flour
Also see the "Wheat Belly Cookbook" I mentioned earlier for many suggestions. There are also many, many BLOGS with many, many GF baking recipes.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:55 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Here, for example, is an example of (what looks to be a tasty) GF recipe (ignore her silly font choice):

The Tasty Alternative: Thick and Creamy Dairy-Free New England Clam Chowder (SCD & Paleo)

In any event, it is a helpful BLOG for those following a GF, DF, and/or SF diet.

Or, perhaps, this will be helpful:

The Muffin Man Goes Gluten-Free
Old 02-02-2013, 09:06 AM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

With regards to a Paleo diet, didn't we have significantly shorter life spans back then? Don't some of the longer lived cultures have grain as a key dietary staple? This difference can't all be explained by cave babies being eaten by Saber toothed tigers.....
Old 02-02-2013, 09:28 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanky View Post
With regards to a Paleo diet, didn't we have significantly shorter life spans back then?
This question comes up quite often. My personal thoughts stop at "modern medicine." However...

Google Search

For instance:

Why Cavemen didn't actually die young
Old 02-05-2013, 05:02 PM   #48
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainsBeGone View Post
DW is allergic to wheat (not gluten), but it is easiest to shop gluten free to ensure that our groceries are wheat free. One of the best ways to shop gluten free in the grocery store is to shop mostly around the perimeter of the store instead of within the isles. The fresh fruits and vegetables, meats, and dairy products are almost always on the outer edges of the grocery stores. DW has searched in vain for a good all-purpose gluten free flour, but most are just not that good - that would be the Holy Grail for those allergic to wheat and gluten.
I was diagnosed celiac about 4 years ago and went through the typical drill of trying to replicate what had to be withdrawn. I do occasionally use amaranth flour to cook with, but the most effective tack for me has been just to walk away from the classes of foods that are typically gluten containing.

I have found that you can get used to anything if you try hard enough, pizza on gf crust does the job if you want pizza bad enough.
wild rice and oats tend to fill the void enough eventually, my wife goes along 98% of the time and is not feeling deprived. The sleeper with celiac is how pervasive gluten is in prepared foods [eg, soy sauce] and outings to restarants often produce bad results even with the best caution.

New york times today in the science section addresses some issues mentioned here:

Gluten-Free for the Gluten Sensitive - NYTimes.com
Old 02-07-2013, 06:43 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Wheat Is Murder?

Something to think about:
Quote:

The gastroenterologists were clear on one point: Whatever the cause of our declining ability to digest gluten, DIY dieting is not the solution. Dr. Daniel Leffler, the director of research at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center's Celiac Center in Boston, finds Udi's advice alarming. "I don't feel comfortable making broad claims that eating gluten impairs energy levels," he said. Avoiding gluten can actually be dangerous, Leffler added, since most people get the bulk of their necessary dietary fiber and certain vitamins from gluten-containing grains. Some gluten-free products are spiked with extra fiber, but subsisting on these specialty foods can get awfully pricey.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:41 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Wheat Is Murder?

Something to think about:
Perhaps getting most of one's fiber from vegetables is a better idea...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:06 AM   #51
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Perhaps getting most of one's fiber from vegetables is a better idea...
Haha, no kidding! That's the first thing I thought of when I read that.

Plenty of fiber in fruits and veggies. Plus, there is evidence that you don't actually need as much fiber as you think you do, when you're not eating wheat products. Apparently the wheat/gluten affects the digestive tract in a way that you need an artificially high amount of fiber to be "normal". Take the wheat out, and everything works out fine.