Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-17-2015, 07:31 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Yes, getting increasingly lazy. Not doing much at all. Not very motivated.

Sent from my XT1575 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2015, 07:51 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

I've often thought that when someone retires, his main focus would become his health and getting fit.

What I've seen is that it's just not the case. Whatever habits one carried into retirement becomes even more so.

It seems to me nothing is more important than our health, especially as we get older. It does befuddle me how many can be indifferent to such a serious matter.

Old 12-17-2015, 08:45 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

I feel less active in retirement. At w*rk I was frequently walking across campus, repeatedly climbing stairs to my fourth floor office, and using the campus fitness center daily. Now I love sleeping in and have to force myself to get a measurable amount of exercise. I will need to get serious with a new year's resolution that builds some exercise into my daily routine.
Old 12-17-2015, 08:56 PM   #24

My problem is that I had built so much of my daily exercise into my commute by bicycling to and from the office. I find that I don't enjoy doing loops or out and backs for exercise on the bicycle, I really need a destination. Sadly(?), we live so close to the golf course that biking to the course really doesn't work. So, although my walking miles have gone up slightly with a little more golf being played, the aerobic exercise is definitely down. So far, no weight gain.
Old 12-17-2015, 08:58 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

HAVE you turned LAZY in EARLY RETIREMENT ??

I have been exercising a whole lot more than I ever did because I now have more time to do so. I also spend a whole lot more time grocery shopping and cooking because I have more time. But after exercising, cooking/shopping and sleeping (and oh I surf the net more too), I don't seem to have that much time left for anything else and I feel like I got really lazy in other areas.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 12-17-2015, 09:10 PM   #26

I replaced my busy work schedule with a busy exercise schedule. I now consider exercise to be my "job", so I get at least two hours of exercise a day. I use the "Lose It" app on my IPhone to track my calories as well, so I guess that's another job responsibility of mine in ER. I lost 20 pounds and have been able to keep it off with my routine. If I went back to work, I know I would not get as much exercise, but I'd be sure to get at least 30 minutes or so a day. It's pretty important to make exercise a part of your daily routine, just like showering and brushing your teeth. I never considered exercise to be optional.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 12-17-2015, 11:24 PM   #27

I retired 9 years ago (at 48) and while still lazy, have had the opposite results.

I exercise much less than when I worked, but eat much better. My highest weight ever was in the month I retired. Since then I have lost half of my excess weight, at a slow but steady rate.
Old 12-18-2015, 12:33 AM   #28

I bought an easy to maintain city bike and do daily small grocery shopping runs instead of one big one a week in the car. I go to the library , mall , bagel shop, etc on the bike also. Takes a few weeks to get your bike legs but once you do , it's more fun than taking the car. Less drudgery than doing the gym thing also

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 12-18-2015, 01:20 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

I have lost 60 pounds since I FiRE'd just over a year and a bit ago. I am probably fitter now in my early 40's than I was in my late 20's...which was my last FIT PHASE. Cardio and weight training 5 days a week...lots of sea kayaking and hiking in the Summer.

Being active and fit are just essential aspects of my FIREd life. This has probably been the most pleasant surprise of ER so far.
Old 12-18-2015, 01:28 AM   #30

Yes, I skip shaving for days.

I'd tell you more, but it's too much effort
Old 12-18-2015, 04:19 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

My laziness level hasn't changed with FIRE, but I am fitter and thinner.
Old 12-18-2015, 06:31 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm discovering I am less ambitious than some ERs, more than others, but every now and then I get a cold hard slap to remind me my time on this side of the grass should be embraced. Most recent case in point: a same-age ER friend just suffered a stroke, thankfully minor. Her lifestyle certainly contributed. She was an overweight, inactive smoker. She says she has learned her lesson now. I hope so, but it's a cautionary tale for me, to remind me why inactivity, sometimes so welcoming, must be counter-balanced. Thankfully my wife, and my new Fitbit, keep me going. Strokes scare the bejeezus out of me.
Old 12-18-2015, 06:42 AM   #33
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I am naturally lazy and have to combat the tendency to skip exercises. For weights I use high intensity sessions that are short but efficient. I only need two a week which I can handle. I don't like walking for walking's sake but DW and I took up cycling in ER and luckily we both like that. We get plenty of exercise from that during the season and I make a couple of trips to the gym each week for short sets of sprints on an exercise cycle in the winter. The exercise, combined with dropping most processed food and both DW and I are in our best shape in decades. It takes some discipline but soon becomes fairly habitual (notwithstanding the bunch of freshly baked holiday cookies I ate yesterday).
Old 12-18-2015, 06:55 AM   #34

My laziness is about the same after retirement as before. But I am eating healthier and getting a little more exercise during the winter in retirement.

During my last few years of work, I augered down from 3 work days a week to 1. During the last year of part time, I geared up my running to where I was running 4 miles a day, 6 days a week. I went from 210 lbs to 185. But I developed knee and hip injuries and quit running shortly before retiring.

I have increased biking, hiking and weight exercises slightly since retiring. This, coupled with a better diet is keeping me at 185 lbs.
Old 12-18-2015, 07:49 AM   #35

I've only been FIREd since August. I never was much of one for exercise but my physical activity level seems higher and sitting in a chair surfing the net eventually bothers my sense of self. Net result is the loss of 5-10 lbs.
Old 12-18-2015, 08:38 AM   #36

Being brand new to this I also have a concern regarding the possibility of happy hour creeping earlier and earlier in the day. After posting on this thread yesterday I was motivated to do some yoga and take a nice long walk in the gloaming. I felt a million times better.
Old 12-18-2015, 10:10 AM   #37

I've always been lazy. That's why I retired early. All I ever really wanted to do was whatever I did on my days off when I was working.
Old 12-18-2015, 02:59 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

FIRE allows for an incredible opportunity to become the fittest version of yourself...some of the stuff I'm reading here is a bit of a head scratcher...I guess some folks are...just actually LAZY.
Old 12-18-2015, 03:52 PM   #39

After reading all of these, with a good majority saying they exercise as much or more, I'm wondering how much self selection bias there is. A bunch, I suppose. If I were a total couch potato, before and after ER, I'd probably not contribute those facts to the forum, hehe!
Old 12-18-2015, 04:40 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
After reading all of these, with a good majority saying they exercise as much or more, I'm wondering how much self selection bias there is. A bunch, I suppose. If I were a total couch potato, before and after ER, I'd probably not contribute those facts to the forum, hehe!
Good point, and probably true. As far as the original question goes, quite the opposite for me too. Lost 20 lbs, fitter than ever. Motto is "burn calories". Strenuous workouts almost every day. Usually burn 600-900 calories per workout. Almost fanatical about working out. If I miss a day, I feel guilty until the next workout.