HAVE you turned LAZY in EARLY RETIREMENT ??

I was a regular exerciser when I was working and I've continued to be one for 12 years in retirement. I've shifted emphasis somewhat (eg, I gave up running but now go to spinning classes 2-3 times a week and walk regularly.)

Sent from my iPod touch using Early Retirement Forum

My screen name is very suggestive of my favourite hobby...a great activity to work the upper body. If you happen to live in a beautiful area on a body of water (ocean, lake, river) sometimes you can be so distracted by gorgeous scenery that you don't even know what a great upper torso workout you are getting. I mix in a lot of running for cardio, and weight training to target muscle groups that the kayaking doesn't really hit - kayaking is GREAT for muscle groups that PULL, not so much for the PUSHING muscle groups.

I just returned from my first extended post-FIRE snowbird stint in Baja Mexico...DW snapped a pic of me on the beach. I was borderline OBESE for about 7 years prior to ER...it took me about 14 months to get in this kind of shape....I'll NEVER go back to my prior ways...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 47
Thanks for the feedback, I may have learnt a few things. But knowing does not count until I do something about it.

Thanks guys.

Retiring has made me fit, lost weight, make life so much more enjoyable. Sometimes, being lazy can be enjoyable too but seriously, l love doing variety of things more than lazing around. Even in exercising I have sought out variety to keep me interested. I try to go to the gym to workout at least 3 times a week and extended the time I spend there. Non-gym days will either be golfing, outdoor jogging or brisk walking, hiking, swimming or yoga. I cook almost everyday and since I live in the city, I do grocery shopping a lot and the form of transportation is walking or public transportation. The time I spend on the sofa is usually at night after dinner to wind down before I sleep. If you feel you are spending too much time at home surfing, consciously find an alternative activity and build it up in your routine.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Read a book were they questioned a group of seniors about a series of topics. They all agreed that they wished they had taken better care of their health. I believe they pointed out the mistake we all make about carrying extra weight. My subtle response..

one hamburger for dinner last night instead of two
Even thought I am recovering from TKR I walked 25 minutes yesterday in the drizzle. I've got
PT today and do the bike and I'll still walk - hopefully a little farther
No cake, a cookie rarely, half a bagel instead of whole, low carb flat bread with my eggs, wheat pancakes and waffles
Zero cal soft drinks
Smaller portions generally... We eat too much.

Before my knee deteriorated I used to walk with the dog with a couple supermarket plastic bags in my pocket for any mess she might make. Now because bending is difficult/dangerous I leave the dog home - she watches me from he window and I feel guilty - she really loved that walk.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum.

Plantar fascia injuries are a bear. Weight just piles on when walking is an issue.

Do you mind sharing what kind of spider bit you?
Well the consensus was a brown recluse. But the real problem was the cellulitis and phlebitis that resulted from the treatment.

I am still trying to recover from the effects of all those damages to my left leg. It is not a problem by itself. But compounded by other stuff.

Before my knee deteriorated I used to walk with the dog with a couple supermarket plastic bags in my pocket for any mess she might make. Now because bending is difficult/dangerous I leave the dog home - she watches me from he window and I feel guilty - she really loved that walk.
Have you thought about a squat to pick up the leftovers? A little pain for a lifelong buddy? Just removing the guilt alone will improve your outlook.

Have you thought about a squat to pick up the leftovers? A little pain for a lifelong buddy? Just removing the guilt alone will improve your outlook.

One can also buy a long handled device with two swinging half shovels that scoop it up.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Have always been lucky to be on the lighter side. Did break my ankle in the first week of retirement, also springtime which is when I lose any winter insulation, so was 8 pounds heavier than my previous weight. I am back now. As far as activities go, I am pretty good I think. Some days I would walk miles and miles at work and not have a chance to eat so that kept me slim. Our group always joked that we didn't think that anyone who was overweight could do the job we did. Now I try to walk 5 miles a day and am active in the yard and sports. I do find it takes longer than it used to get household jobs done. Seems I am always going to have the day off tomorrow to do them.

I have always been active and thankfully love outdoor activities and the gym (mostly group classes including strength workouts). I really enjoy pushing myself almost to exhaustion with lots of sweating. However, since menopause (oops TMI), I've found that even increasing exercise didn't help with weight creep. I had to clean up my eating (had horrible eating habits). I did a 10-day cleanse in October followed by cleaner eating that helped me kick sugar, diet coke and crappy carbs. I've lost about 8 lbs. and 10 inches (waist, hips, thighs and chest). I feel the best I've felt in 25 years. Did eat some holiday treats the past three days and found that my body doesn't tolerate them very well. So, I'm actually looking forward to eating healthy again!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Back
Top Bottom