Hip and Knees 101

rayinpenn

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
They called nearly two weeks ago and said I would be required to attend a pre surgical class. Tuesday at 4:30 (yesterday) you should bring the person who will help you. My expectations were beyond low, I couldn't imagine what they needed two hours to discuss? My mood said 'pain management'. - the orthopedic surgeon had made a comment about how 'terrible' an infection could be. He'd have to remove the appliance and you'd have to wait two months for a new one. The passion in his voice told me one of his patient got an infection. I was convinced I'm doomed and was certain to get an infection and it would be 'terrible'.

Terrible is an interesting and purely subjective word. Said the right way, by the right person, in the right context, it could scare the bejesus out of you. Yet "that haircut is terrible" is not so bad. It hadn't helped that the neighbor mentioned that a friend had said it that been more pain full then expected.

The wife and I found our way to the 7th floor and by 4:40 there was at least 30 of us 'the waking gimpy' in there. We all got our complimentary bag with either a knee or hip notebook. A package of pre-surgical wipes. Then the nurse running the class said the word 'infection' and my focus was on every word. "When you Go to the dentist and get so cleaning all this bacteria will be released.... You new knee could be its new home" ok no problem I thought I'll swallow a large bottle of pills before, during and after. Next she got around to "post surgical infection" there's that word again and how to use the wipes. "We've got it down to nearly zero and we did 1500 hips/knees in 2013".

Then something wonderful and powerful happened the nurse said "oh look there's a patient who had her knee done yesterday" she was walking with a walker and an attendant and guess what she was smiling... Then I saw a man and he too was using a walker and chatting it up with his attendant.

Wow I thought I can do this...

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum.

Last edited:
Rayinpenn,
In the same boat you are. I am going in for a new knee on Monday.

Infections are a definite risk but happen rarely. Hospitals get rated on their infection rates now - at least in Illinois. Which is a good thing. They have less tools to deal with them now so prevention is everything. I plan to do everything they recommend.

You are also responsible for your successful outcome. I once was in the ER for an arrhythmia issue and had a nurse come in and grab the IV injection port without washing or gloving up after working on another patient. I yelled like hell for a different nurse. There is no excuse for laziness and you have to be your own advocate.

Funny how the closer I get to the day, the less my knee bothers me. Will probably be doing sprints by Monday.

Rayinpenn,
In the same boat you are. I am going in for a new knee on Monday.

Funny how the closer I get to the day, the less my knee bothers me. Will probably be doing sprints by Monday.

Thanks for the morning laugh! Each day I get up after a few unpleasant steps I think jeeze do I really want to do this? But then I remember how I can't walk around the block with the pooch and how bad it gets what I sit at work for 2 hours and get up. One of the programmers at work who sits next to me - who observes my daily gimp antics said "Yeah you need it". I also have been helping as best I can with the leaves here at stately RayinPenn manor. 1 hours work = 30 minutes throbbing knee waiting for naproxen to take the edge off. Next Thursday!

Yeah I need it and I'm sure you need it to.

Speedy recovery!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum.

Last edited:
Good luck to both of you! Rayinpenn, it sounds like your surgeon knows exactly what he is doing and just wants to keep the infection rate down to as close to zero as possible. Yes, you can get through this. :)

I suspect that in a few years it will be my turn, but not right now.

I had a knee replaced 5 years ago after 13 years of painful walking. It is a fairly long recovery (last visit with the surgeon 1 year after surgery) but I wish I had done it years before

My SO had his knee done in April . He was up walking right away & out of the hospital by day three . He used a walker for about a week and after that nothing . Make sure you take pain medication before rehab and keep icing the knee .He said the pain was not so bad . Good Luck with your surgery !

My wife had hers done a few years ago. I figure now we will both get to go thru the xray machine at the airport.

Best of luck to you on this. It has to be scary but I know from my mother's and FIL experiences that it normally turns out well.

I had a co worker who had both knees done at the same time. After a couple of weeks, one of the knees had a bad infection and they had to cut it back open. She had to start all over with the rehab. She said it's very painful for the first month or so but she's very glad that she had it done. If she could go back in time she would have done it much sooner. Even if things don't go perfectly, you should be much better off in a few months than you are now. Good luck.

If she could go back in time she would have done it much sooner.

Both my friends who have had hip replacements tell the same story. They said they felt they waited longer than they should have and encouraged me to be sure I didn't make the same mistake.

Back
Top Bottom