Hip Replacement

I did have my hip replaced. I think I was just too out of it after the surgery and considerable blood loss to make that clear. I have discovered that blood loss and surgery kind of makes me stupid. Thanks everyone for the kind thoughts sent my way.

Ha

Anesthesia will do that too.

It's always good to hear when a procedure goes well. Best wishes for a fast recovery and relief from the discomfort.

Cheers!

Well, good for you.

Attachments

• Thumbs Up.gif
    Thumbs Up.gif
    3 KB · Views: 212
Glad to hear it went well. As someone suggested your Physical terrorist is your new best friend. Sometimes therapy is no fun, but the results are worth it.
Best wishes,
MRG

Thank you for the update! I am very happy to hear that your hip is already doing much better even just a day after your surgery. Best wishes for a very fast recovery.

I somehow missed this thread, but I had noticed haha had not posted much lately.

So I'll chime in late with wishes for a speedy recovery. I know haha is the type to research things and will commit to any PT or other activity that will help him to regain as much ability as possible, so there is nothing I can offer there. But that can make all the difference in the world.

I must admit that I was shocked about you wanting to scramble around on rocks on the coast! Dancing yes, walking downtown with a backpack of groceries, yes - but the rock scrambling just doesn't sound prudent for those of us facing even minor mobility limitations.

I hope your recovery is now going as well as you hoped! These things can take some time, the body heals and adjusts slowly, be patient.

-ERD50

Thanks for your good wishes ERD50. I am now 3 weeks post-op to the day. Everything has healed rapidly and I am regaining my general energy, though slowly. It's pretty much lights out by 7:30 for me!

I wake up in the morning with very little pain, but the hip starts complaining a bit as the day goes on. I do do all my exercises and walking, and I would like to do more but my instructions were general. Because I had what is called anterior minimally invasive approach, wherein no muscles are cut, only strongly retracted and split, there are only 2 hard no-nos-no wrestlers bridge, and no extending the affected hip far behind the body. These sound very easy, and I think are much less restrictive than other approaches, but I noticed that even while still in hospital I had a tendency to start to raise my torso off the bed by pressing back with my bent leg to arrange the bedding etc.

The other thing is that they say use normal good judgment. Well, I may not have any normal good judgment in this area. There is my judgment, and then there is normal good judgment, and I think that in my case these are only occasionally congruent. I see the surgeon in 3.5 weeks. Until then I will walk and row, stay away from weights except my groceries, and just go easy. I plan to ask him to help me set whatever limits need to be set for whatever time periods.

I am back home now after staying with my woman friend since surgery. My neighborhood is much more hilly than hers, and hills can sure highlight the general conditioning I temporarily lost with surgery.

Ha

Yo, ha!
I was holding my breath for you.
Really glad it worked out so well. The Emerald City is a good place for new parts, ain't it?
Cheers,
Ed

Ha, thanks for the progress report. Good to hear you have and are continuing to do well, and that you aren't suffering the pain levels you once endured. When do you start giving tango lessons again?

Kind of a funny story. In a kind sort of way. My mother-in-law broke her hip at Christmas, not long after her 90th birthday. They couldn't leave her in pain, so they had no option but to operate and give her a full hip replacement.

The thing is, she has dementia - so no recollection at all of the fall, the surgery, or the subsequent healing. She couldn't do any physio as she wouldn't have been able to remember the exercises. We visited and asked her about her pain levels many times, and she told us we were being silly, there was nothing wrong with her. She did have pain relief administered by the staff but of course never remembered it.

Anyway they couldn't keep her immobile as she got stroppy when they tried to strap her into her recliner chair, so several times they found her limping around the rest home. The funny part was that after about 3 weeks, she was pretty much as mobile as she was prior to the surgery. She has a walker (but doesn't remember she has it, so rarely uses it).

She also broke her elbow at the same time, but the other day she told me, "Whoever told you that sh*t needs to get their facts straight!" which caused me much hilarity. She's a feisty old thing and we reckon a combination of bloody-mindedness and complete forgetfulness is responsible for her healing pretty smartly.

I am back home now after staying with my woman friend since surgery. My neighborhood is much more hilly than hers, and hills can sure highlight the general conditioning I temporarily lost with surgery.

Ha

Glad to hear you are healing well and overcame your stay over phobia !:)

Excellent progress report, pleased to hear it. :dance:

Haha - Maybe I'm just clueless here. But, it is not entirely clear to me if you had your hip replaced or if you are having some sort of new therapy? Assuming you had your hip replaced, I certainly hope all goes well with your recovery. If that isn't what happened, sorry that I'm being clueless.
I also missed the gap of a year-plus between "I will definitely make no plans for surgery anytime soon. " and "Out of the hospital". When I read this thread the day before yesterday I thought you were referring to aftereffects of the cardiac stress test. :duh: I hope you are recovering well.

6 wks post surgery, not back yet but getting there

Today has been a very nice sunny day, and I got my first 5+mile walk in. Went 10,729 steps and36 floors. I am not even particularly tired, so this is a real milestone. Hip is a little sore, but nothing like before surgery.

I see my surgeon this Friday, and I'll ask if all restrictions are removed, or if I still am constrained.

I really did not want to get surgery, but at least so far I am glad I did. Prior to my operation, I had used a cane for about one year, and forearm crutches for another year.. This caused me to lose a fair amount of muscle in the affected leg, but it is coming back.

I have to give a plug to eating liver. It's almost like when Popeye eats spinach, I seem to feel the enhanced well being.

Ha

Everyone, thanks very much for your support.

As for the hills, depending on where you live, Seattle tends to be a series of north/south ridges with valleys between. Elliot Bay on the West, and Lake Washington on the East. So hills are everywhere, and I like them as a fast way to build up stamina and strength both. Especially with a bit of weight on your back. But believe me, I am not moving very quickly!

Ha

Last edited:
Today has been a very nice sunny day, and I got my first 5+mile walk in. Went 10,729 steps and36 floors. I am not even particularly tired, so this is a real milestone. Hip is a little sore, but nothing like before surgery.

I see my surgeon this Friday, and I'll ask if all restrictions are removed, or if I still am constrained.

I really did not want to get surgery, but at least so far I am glad I did. Prior to my operation, I had used a cane for about one year, and forearm crutches for another year.. This caused me to lose a fair amount of muscle in the affected leg, but it is coming back.

I have to give a plug to eating liver. It's almost like when Popeye eats spinach, I seem to feel the enhanced well being.

Ha

I like the Popeye analogy and spinach has that effect on me.
Sounds like you are kicking butt and taking names already! Thanks for sharing your experience and I am glad you are doing better.

Excellent news Ha, well done pal. :dance:

Back
Top Bottom