How much do you spend on physical fitness?

Me: $33/month on health club dues (my health insurance also chips in $20)
$50/year on shoes, clothes, etc.
$60 heart rate monitor (1 time expense)

DH: "Bob," a dummy for boxing - $300
Work out DVDs and stretchy bands - $40
Jump rope - $5

I can never work out at home. I lose motivation. The only reason I can keep going to the gym is because my $20 insurance discount only kicks in if I go 12 times a month. Even at the gym I have to go to a class so someone can lead me. It's really hard for me to be motivated to work out when my life already feels so stressful. The only times I take the initiative to go were because 1) I was invited to go rock-climbing, so need arm muscles, 2) I was going to a beach soon, or 3) I had to fit in a very small dress. :confused:

I'm struck by the range of gym membership fees. Ten years ago, I joined a gym for $35/month. I thought it was ridiculously expensive but a great a way to meet chicks. Well, it would have been great had I actually gone more often, but I found riding my bicycle to be much more enjoyable.

Now, I go the free gym at my work. There are no chicks to begin with (tech company) much less at 9 PM on a weekday, but now I find working out in the gym isn't so bad. It's much less time consuming than a all-out cycling lifestyle.

Me: $100 a year on running shoes. I work out at home and i bought my treadmill\bowflex\dumbells\bicycle several years ago for about $3k.

DW: $2400 last year in gym, trainer and exercise classes

Heeeeeeyyyyy, waitaminnit, didn't you guys own a Curves franchise?

Are you doing market research here?!?

Just kidding! I think.

Fortunately, that ship has sunk. The entire endeavor was a huge monetary loss, and was a miserable endeavor for both of us. We were able to find a buyer (at $175,000 less than we paid for it), and have been free since last July.

Your TKD is cheap -- most martial arts schools in this area are at least $100/month, ranging up to $150/month. I don't pay for TKD, since I'm an instructor, but my Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is $130/month. This year might be a bit more for TKD than last year since I may be taking my 3rd dan test later this year.

On a recurring basis, we might be spending even more than the $235 per month I said at the top of the thread. Sneakers and workout clothes aren't categorized that way in my records. I also have some expenses for tennis racquets (haven't bought any in a few years), tennis string (though I string my racquets myself), and tennis balls. Though all of that together doesn't add up to very much.

Ziggy, I was just thinking about how my boss might verify that I'm going to the trainer, since he's paying...I sure hope he doesn't bring the scale back to the office! ;)

I have a $2,000 treadmill, a $2,000 Stair Stepper, and a $300 Joe Weider Weight Machine -- Total cost: less than $150 (See Thrift Store Spree thread)

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f30/thrift-store-spree-33330.html

I used to pay $100 plus for Rockport Walking shoes but.. I have discovered that those new-fangled shoes are much more comfortable and cost less than $30 (Crocs are a good example of what I am talking about. I prefer Nothinz. however.)

I wear whatever old clothes that are not in the laundry.

I have signed up for SecureHorizon's Medicare Advantage program (starts in April). I notice in the packet that I received yesterday that they have a "SilverSneakers Fitness Program." They claim:

"You pay $0 for the monthly membership fee for Silver Sneakers Fitness Program through contracted fitness centers. There is no visit or use fee when you use contracted service providers."

That sounds interesting but if the past behavior is any indication, I won't know any more about it a year from now then I do today.

Health Club membership is $100/month but the company pays about 3/4 of that.
Two or three pairs of running shoes a year ~ $300
Lots of shirts and running clothes ~ $300 / year
Misc Bike gear $200 / year

I guess that's not too bad considering I am at the club 4 - 5 days a week

Last edited:
Fitness costs money:confused::confused:

Not if it lowers your health bills ;)

also not if it is simply your lifestyle. playing tennis was grandpa's life so the club and equipment were no less tools than a house or a car.

i love swimming & biking so same thing. paying to swim a 50-meter lap pool? i'd rather pay for that then a vacation in, oh, i don't know, fort lauderdale?

just as a sidenote: i've decided that i need to better enjoy my biking and even though it is sort of a solo sport anyway, it's nice to bike with others. my problem, of course, is that others are working.

so i placed an ad and already have two responses from guys who can bike trails during the week. cool. cost? well, since it'll be the bike rack on my car i assume i'll be getting lunch.

Last edited:
Fortunately, that ship has sunk. The entire endeavor was a huge monetary loss, and was a miserable endeavor for both of us. We were able to find a buyer (at $175,000 less than we paid for it), and have been free since last July.
I was wondering if you were going back to the well for another bucket of Kool-Aid. v2.0 so to speak.

Your TKD is cheap -- most martial arts schools in this area are at least $100/month, ranging up to $150/month. I don't pay for TKD, since I'm an instructor, but my Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is $130/month. This year might be a bit more for TKD than last year since I may be taking my 3rd dan test later this year.
I agree. I've been after these guys for two years to raise their rates and they finally boosted the $85/month "low commitment" program fee to... $95/month. Everyone else on the island is either a sadistic whacko or $140/month.

Especially considering the coach's successes with the juniors program. Two of our students are citizens of the Marshall Islands and will be representing their country at the Olympics in a few months. The coach still wanders around in a daze saying "I can't believe we're goin' to the Olympics, man..."

We have a Bowflex, a treadmill and road bikes for exercise, no membership or other ongoing costs.

How does the insurance company verify this?

When you swipe the membership card at the gym, the gym has a record of how many times you went in a specific month. They send the information to the insurance company. Of course it doesn't prevent those who swipe the card just to get the discount...

Built 140 linear feet of dry stack wall, 2 patios and back fill of 57 gravel and dirt (weight about 60 tons) over a 3 year period. No club membership, nice patios for entertaining, nice planting beds, solved the grade drop in the back yard. Health program going forward, additional plantings and weeding:D

Um, lessee. $500 about ten years ago for a treadmill that I still use. Calisthenics in the basement - free. Long walks when the weather's decent - free. Mowing the lawn - I dunno, the mower's 20 years old. Might buy a trail bike this year.

We walk, and I don't count the tennis shoes as I wear them all the time.

I can relate to these! From March through about mid-December I get my exercise almost daily working in my yard and many gardens, and on landscaping projects......it's all a work 'in progress' that will never be truly finished...a change here...a change there. During the winter months there is snow shoveling, stationary biking, and walking on warm sunny beaches....the 3rd one being my favorite! :D

I have 2 bicycles....a 10-speed mtn. bike converted to a cruiser with swept-back handlebars and chrome fenders, and a 6-speed cruiser decked out with chrome fenders and a comfy saddle, and there's always the stationary bike for pedaling during lousy weather.

I like walking late at night after they roll up the sidewalks, and everyone is home in bed......or very early in the morning.

While I'm on vacations....like now....I get my exercise for free running up and down the stairs........we usually stay on the 4th or 5th floor (or higher), and I very seldom (if ever) use the elevators. And I walk around a lot in the various areas that where we stay.

So how much do I spend on exercise? Not counting landscape/gardening stuff or vacations, and taking into account that my 10-spd is 20 years old and the 6-spd is 9 years old......I spend zilch! :D

Gym membership: $32.50/mo
Swim suits about $120/year because the pool chlorine eats them.
Municipal pools run about $75/year depending on how often I go.
I wear running shoes and gym type clothes most all the time so I don't count those as extra.
My bicycles are 15 and 32 years old. Both are still sweet. I borrow a friend's 28-year-old bike to do sprint triathlons because I don't trust the handlers with my 32-year-old baby. Love that suicide shifting!

I can't separate fitness from sports such as running and biking and outdoor activities such as hiking and camping. To me they all an integral part of my life style.

After private school tuition for the kids, sports/fitness is probably my largest "discretionary" expense.

I would make a pretty good commercial for REI:

- The most expensive shoes that I have ever purchased are my bike shoes
- I probably spend more money per year on sports shoes and clothes than on all other shoes and clothes combined
- I hate shopping except for at bike shops, triathlon shops and running shoe stores (this is a bit of a white lie because I also love book stores)
- I love paying for things on my REI credit card because that means I will have a bigger dividend at the end of year to spend on more REI stuff

Approximate annuals costs:

- $70 month for the "Y" membership. Between the two of us we probably get there a half dozen times a week and use it for lap swimming; aerobics, spinning and yoga classes; basketball; racketball and weight lifting. I believe in starting my workout at my front door so unless it is a monsoon I almost always bike the 5 miles to the Y. I have also ran, roller-bladed and scootered there at various times. My favorite workout that is not on a dirt trail in the Santa Cruz mountains is to bike to the Y, do a 4-5 mile run, followed by a 1/2-1 mile swim then bike home. (In Maryland all my neighbors thought I was totally nuts but in CA I'm only mildly eccentric.)

- $500/year for running shoes split evenly between me and DW

- $500/year split evenly between me and DW for entering running races, triathlons and open water swim races

- $800/year for clothes, tune-ups, repairs and parts for bikes and the various other toys and Clif bars, Gu, etc. to keep me going

Some of the recent "one time" expenses include:

- Road race #1/triathlon bike. $2300 in 2000.

- Road bike #2/commuter and utility bike. $650 in 1989 but upgraded with $1000 in new parts after the manufacturer replaced a cracked frame in 2003.

- Mountain bike. $700 in 1994 but everything on the bike has been replaced (mountain bikes wear out when you actually use them for mountain biking!) including the frame (which was free, another crack) and fork except the seat, the seat post, the crank and the rear wheel

- Kayak. $300 in 2000

- Rollerblades. $120 in 2005

- X-C skiis. $300 in 2003.

- Adventure racing equipment, including hydration pack, safety equipment, climbing equipment for roap courses, compass. $400

- 6-person tent. $150 in 2002.

- 2-person tent. $150 but purchased with REI dividend.

- Back-pack. $250 in 2001.

Possible future expenses include:

~ $1000 for a touring bike for fully loaded touring. (The tentative plan is to head out for a really, really long bike ride shortly after ER. I have invited DW but so far she hasn't committed. Just what is it about women and committment?)

~ $1000 for a dual suspension mountain bike

Most of this stuff is pretty will utilized. Note the two cracked bike frames. That doesn't happen sitting in the garage.

My other rationalization for all this stuff is that I drive an 8 year old Camry that will probably last another 10 years or so while most of my Silicon Valley neighbors seem to driving around in new BMWs and luxury SUVs. Besides I'd rather bike to work than drive anyway.

MB

Kronk, It mind sound like little consolation, but just about everyone I knew who pursued the ole entreprenurial dream has gotten seriously burned at least once (including myself). If they tell you otherwise it's probably bunk. Heck, my "march to my own tune spirit" also made me a lousy investor in my 20's-30's, just to add insult to injury. DW set me strait on that one:duh: My risk-taking loss total is surely bigger than yours in current dollars. I figure if my wayward brain could recoup from that, anyone can. Good luck and sorry for going off topic.

Looks like I also get the award for most spent on sporting activities per year. That's an indulgence I'm happy to live with. (Live 2 kite, kite 2 live)

Last edited:
Gave up the gym membership a couple years ago and got some dumbells.

When I need new shoes, ask for those as Christmas presents. My brother gets them wholesale.

Tune-ups and tires, etc. for the two bikes run about $300 a year.

I am fortunate enough to be able to work out at a fitness center that is on a small Army base about 10 minutes away. I guess my cost is a few bucks a month for gas.

Yep - Mall walking in winter, around the neighborhood if I wish to save gas, or a 1/4 mile drive to the park in spring/summer for the bimbo/sports bra view while I er power walk.

Tennis shoes are too expensive - crepe sole loafers or deck shoes from Wal Mart or Payless.

heh heh heh - :cool: Need to do more - one of these days.

Gym was $250 for 9 months, I'll stretch that to two years by freezing membership in spring, when I start biking. $1400 for recumbent bike, couple of hundred on walking/hiking shoes, shirts, shorts, $400 dog that gets me walking pretty much daily. Don't even want to think about hunting and fishing expenses. ........Shredder

maybe $100 a year

wife got me some Gilad DVD's and 45 minutes in front of the TV is a nice workout doing weights and pushups. since my 6 month old takes up a lot of time i've been doing simple things like taking him for a 2 mile walk to get some exercise. and it's good for him as well because he usually takes a nap and sunlight is one of the best ways to build vitamin D which is good for immune system development

Hmm - free at the military gym - exercise machines, weight machines, free weights galore - running track as well as mapped out runs by mileage. Could also take free exercise classes.

Badminton at local gym - costs $20 for 20 visits, $15 for tube of birds (feather and cork only). Bought special court shoes last year, $60, husband spent $60 as well. We used to play twice a week, but have tapered off due to work schedules. Kicks our butts as we are playing very good Asian players....

Bought a new set of downhill skis last year - $350 - kept last set for 10 years. Bought new pair of downhill skiboots two years ago - $300 - kept last pair for 15 years. Skied in Chile last summer and at Tahoe this year - ski free for the most part at Tahoe - Chile wasn't cheap.

Haven't bought workout clothes in awhile....still use the bunch I bought a few years ago. Go to professional conferences and run the 5Ks for 'free' t-shirts :) Have quite a few of those.

Hike in the summer - have hiking boots I bought two years ago - $60. Gas to go to hikes and state and national park fees - average about $80 a year.

After years of spending $100-$200/year for swim training and random walking shoes and swim or walking entry fees, I broke down and went whole hog this year.

Hi tech fancy calorie counter $600. It measures calories consumed 24x7 you down loaded the data into PC and then enter what food you ate. As long as calories burned is greater than calories consume weight goes.
4 months small group personal trainer (6 people) $500
Nordic walking poles $100.

So far it has cost me about $150/lb, but my eating out bills have dropped!

I figure I'll need at least another $500 worth of training/gym memberships.

But if really gets me to lose 40 lbs, money well spent.

We have a stairmaster, recumbent bike, and free weights; all were paid for years ago.

My main form of exercise right now is dancing. Costs me a few bucks for dance pants and tops, and every week or two I download 2 or 3 songs from itunes. I do my own choreography and work out in my living room. New shoes every once in a while (~$50-60).

Every once in a while I go to the YMCA and take a step or water aerobics class ($3 for nonmembers). I'm thinking of maybe trying to start a dance fitness class there for fun...if so, membership would be free.

I was wondering if you were going back to the well for another bucket of Kool-Aid. v2.0 so to speak.

The thread was pure curiosity.

I suppose in a bizarro world I might go into the fitness business in 10 years or something like that. I might have a slight interest in being a personal trainer, though I kind of doubt that. I have also done a lot of thinking about whether (if given the opportunity), I'd like to run a martal arts studio. The answer has been coming back as a no -- in ten years I should be a 4th dan TKD master, but I think there's a good chance I'd spoil my enjoyment of martial arts if I did it as a business. And I should be close enough to retirement in ten years that the appeal of quitting my day job to do it won't be that great.

Pretty big range of expenses here, though most are, not surprisingly, pretty frugal.

Back
Top Bottom