Join Early Retirement Today

Re: How much should you drink?
Old 01-24-2007, 10:32 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I drank a glass of wine each day for a short time, but quit when I was trying to watch my calories. Unfortunately, I prefer white wine to red wine. If I ever get to my target weight, maybe I will start indulging again.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2007, 06:06 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Most of the time we hear that drinking red wine is more healthy than drinking white wine. Just saw an article that talked about research showing that many or most of the healthy little chemicals (anthocyaninis, flavinoids, etc.) are in the pulp of the grape not just in the seeds and on the skins. Point being that white wines, which are made with much less skin contact than red wines, have about the same health benefits as reds. Interesting but I'm sure it's not the final word.

Old 01-24-2007, 06:28 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Hmmm.....this is an interesting thread. I love red wine with dinner (1-2 glasses), and until about a year ago that was all the alcohol I had most days (other than an occasional sip of bourbon or brandy), but then my wife took up home beer brewing as a hobby, and now we have lots of very good home-brewed beer around the house most of the time. Of course, I feel obliged to test her different brews now, and most are very good, so now I've added 1-1.5 beers to my nightly ritual. I've always been near my ideal body weight, so weight gain is not a problem, and I feel fine, so should I worry about it? Based on this Italian study, I'm inclined to say no......but maybe that is wishful thinking?
Old 01-25-2007, 11:52 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAE
should I worry about it?
No, definitely don't worry about it. Worry won't help your health, probably more inclined to be detrimental.

Think about how much alcohol you enjoy. Looks like you're at the 3 - 4 drinks per day level. Then look at the research and see if that amount is considered detrimental or not. Make a decision about your consumption based on the best information you can get and then get on with it! But don't "worry" about it.

Gosh, it's only noon....... five more hours until happy hour........
Old 01-25-2007, 12:48 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAE
...so now I've added 1-1.5 beers to my nightly ritual. I've always been near my ideal body weight, so weight gain is not a problem, and I feel fine, so should I worry about it? Based on this Italian study, I'm inclined to say no......but maybe that is wishful thinking?
There are some people who genetically are intolerant of 3-4 oz of alcohol per day (probably metabolize alcohol more slowly than others). And there are parallel habits that may add to the risk such as regular acetaminophen use (liver), NSAIDs or aspirin (gastritis) and other issues.

Here is more than you want to know. Bottom line is that for otherwise healthy, nonalcoholic, nonhazardous activity after drinking types, 1-2 drinks a day for men and 1 per day for women is probably quite (if not entirely) safe. More than that and the risks increase albeit slowly until you get to about 3-4 per day when overall risk is gradually higher and higher for drinkers v. nondrinkers.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 08:47 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
And here's the interesting part (whispering): I'm developing a taste for bad oxidized wine.
I used to think that the ritual of smelling the cork was hokey. Then we got a bottle that had spoiled. It took me all week to drink it.
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 09:10 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy
I used to think that the ritual of smelling the cork was hokey. Then we got a bottle that had spoiled. It took me all week to drink it.
In cleaning out my FIL's liquor cabinet, I found a bottle of 1976 Beaujolais (I know it's not spelled correctly). I uncorked it and the cork had a faint vinegar smell. I thought that it still might be OK. I took a sip and about choked. Without saying anything, I left my wife's glass on the counter. She came in and asked why I didn't bring her glass to her. I told her to give it a taste. I said I thought it was a little "strong." She took a good slurp and spit it into the sink. When a wine's bad, you can't drink it.

Many years ago I developed a taste for Carl Rossi Chardonnay. I decided to try the red. I swear I could have stripped paint with it.

I have bad taste but not no taste.
Old 01-27-2007, 11:10 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
I used to be a bit of a wine conno-sewer, but consider this: DW bought a 4 liter bottle of Carlo Rossi burgundy because they were out of the smaller 1 liter bottles. So I've been working my way through this stuff, and it tastes significantly worse than when I first opened it.

And here's the interesting part (whispering): I'm developing a taste for bad oxidized wine.
Try the Piasano, I just love a bargan, 9.99 for what a gallon of swill!!

Yes starting to develop a taste for bad wine! Nothing wrong with that!
Old 01-27-2007, 11:43 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy
A week? Does that include eating the cork?
Old 01-28-2007, 02:40 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

I'd rather go for the franzia vintner select or any of the 3L boxen.

One of my girlfriends used to call that carlo rossi stuff "Jug O' Death" due to the way your head felt the next day. Drew a skull and crossbones on the label.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 05:09 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Not to be a wet blanket, but for a lot of people the answer is "none at all." I speak as a reformed alcoholic. 25 years of drinking, perhaps half of that knowing or suspecting I had a problem. Very roughly, about 1/10 of drinkers are or will become problem drinkers. "Alcoholic" doesn't have a precise definition, but something like....when drink has thoroughly f***ked up your life, and often damaged you and others. Unlike many problems, there is no way to know in advance who'll become an alcoholic. It's a self-diagnosis (at least in AA). Recovery is possible. Ever drinking "normally" isn't, as far as I know.

-- Pedorrero, who had drunk enough probably for 3 or 4 normal lifespans, and thus should be in the peak of health...?