How much should you drink?

And here's the interesting part (whispering): I'm developing a taste for bad oxidized wine.

I used to think that the ritual of smelling the cork was hokey. Then we got a bottle that had spoiled. It took me all week to drink it. ;)

Ed_The_Gypsy said:
I used to think that the ritual of smelling the cork was hokey. Then we got a bottle that had spoiled. It took me all week to drink it. ;)

In cleaning out my FIL's liquor cabinet, I found a bottle of 1976 Beaujolais (I know it's not spelled correctly). I uncorked it and the cork had a faint vinegar smell. I thought that it still might be OK. I took a sip and about choked. Without saying anything, I left my wife's glass on the counter. She came in and asked why I didn't bring her glass to her. I told her to give it a taste. I said I thought it was a little "strong." She took a good slurp and spit it into the sink. When a wine's bad, you can't drink it.

Many years ago I developed a taste for Carl Rossi Chardonnay. I decided to try the red. I swear I could have stripped paint with it.

I have bad taste but not no taste.

TromboneAl said:
I used to be a bit of a wine conno-sewer, but consider this: DW bought a 4 liter bottle of Carlo Rossi burgundy because they were out of the smaller 1 liter bottles. So I've been working my way through this stuff, and it tastes significantly worse than when I first opened it.

And here's the interesting part (whispering): I'm developing a taste for bad oxidized wine.

Try the Piasano, I just love a bargan, 9.99 for what a gallon of swill!!

Yes starting to develop a taste for bad wine! Nothing wrong with that!

Ed_The_Gypsy said:
A week? Does that include eating the cork? :D :D :D

I'd rather go for the franzia vintner select or any of the 3L boxen.

One of my girlfriends used to call that carlo rossi stuff "Jug O' Death" due to the way your head felt the next day. Drew a skull and crossbones on the label.

Not to be a wet blanket, but for a lot of people the answer is "none at all." I speak as a reformed alcoholic. 25 years of drinking, perhaps half of that knowing or suspecting I had a problem. Very roughly, about 1/10 of drinkers are or will become problem drinkers. "Alcoholic" doesn't have a precise definition, but something like....when drink has thoroughly f***ked up your life, and often damaged you and others. Unlike many problems, there is no way to know in advance who'll become an alcoholic. It's a self-diagnosis (at least in AA). Recovery is possible. Ever drinking "normally" isn't, as far as I know.

-- Pedorrero, who had drunk enough probably for 3 or 4 normal lifespans, and thus should be in the peak of health...?

Back
Top Bottom