Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-03-2011, 10:18 PM   #101
Recycles dryer sheets

Best Wishes and good luck. Keep us posted.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2011, 07:04 PM   #102
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just saw this- I'm so sorry. You'll be in my thoughts and I'll be hoping for the best outcome. Hang on there- you have lots of support.

Old 08-04-2011, 07:18 PM   #103

I went through a ton of tests today - we are still awaiting further clarification before deciding what kind of surgery I need. They are trying to determine how extensive the cancer is in the breast - re: can I get by with a lumpectomy vs. needing a mastectomy:-((

So far, tests today were pretty overwhelming, finding more suspicious areas that need further testing...so not so great news - but I still don't know anything definitive yet. I had to have a surprise biopsy today (ultrasound guided this time) on a new spot. And another stereotactic on another spot is scheduled for next week, as well as a breast MRI. Could all be false positives. You never know until they biopsy.

It was a LONG day - 4.5 hours at the mammo center. Tired!

We should know much more by the end of next week. Thanks all.

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 07:40 PM   #104
Recycles dryer sheets

My sister too had suspicious spots, which needed biopsy. They were all negative. So hers was indeed DCIS and she did not need chemo.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:41 PM   #105
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Sounds like a good time for a bubble bath & a margarita !
Old 08-04-2011, 07:48 PM   #106
Give me a forum ...

Have had that stereotactic biopsy - lying face-down on a table, with a hole for your boob to hang through, is very strange! I know that fear. It is all you can think about. Stay strong.

Amethyst
Old 08-04-2011, 08:06 PM   #107
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Sounds like a good time for a bubble bath & a margarita !
Heck yeah...that's the ticket!

Iffin' the margarita don't work...try my concoction of gin and peppermint candy on the rocks.

Remembah...one day at a time Sugah Slammah.

Old 08-05-2011, 08:20 PM   #108
Dryer sheet wannabe

I just had an ultrasound biopsy done and i got lucky (benign adenofibroma). I'm so sorry about your diagnosis news and hope that with treatment you will get lucky too.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:53 AM   #109

Update. US biopsy from last week also positive for DCIS. Surgeon states DCIS is more widespread than initially thought - I have no choice but to have a mastectomy.

Now that I've had a day to process this (brain overload), I am trying to process my options for reconstruction. I will have a meeting with the plastic surgeon on Thursday. I basically have 4 options:

1. no recon (not an option truly in my mind)
2. implants (not happy with this option. Don't like the idea of foreign substance in my body, plus putting that object under my pec muscles does NOT sound good to me. I've read too many stories about chronic pain and tightness.)
3. skin/fat graft from elsewhere in my body (if I even qualify...I'm pretty thin. D*mn that diet, LOL) Joking aside, this is a very long surgery, and a much longer recovery, but more natural result than implants
4. microfat grafting (new procedure, basically lipo of fat from your body - fat is put in machine and stem cells are involved somehow - must wear special apparatus 12 hours a day for multiple weeks...multiple visits required...and really only place I've found that does this is in Miami...but hearing lots of great things about the results...)

Will wait to get opinion from PS on Thursday before doing anything. May go to Miami for consult as well...don't know...still processing...won't be making any big decisions until I have all the facts, though. All I know is I don't want a lifetime of pain from implants.

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
Old 08-10-2011, 09:30 AM   #110
Dryer sheet wannabe

My wife had the mastectomy about six months back along with the option #3 for reconstruction. They basicallly took skin from the stomach area as she had already two c-sections. Also, they remove a small part of the muscle from the stomach/abs area too. Surgery was long and recovery a couple weeks, but they did an awesome job and she is very very happy with it.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:34 AM   #111
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post

Now that I've had a day to process this (brain overload), I am trying to process my options for reconstruction. I will have a meeting with the plastic surgeon on Thursday. I basically have 4 options:.
Another option to discuss with your surgeon: defer reconstruction now (mastectomy only) and reassess in a year or so.

This frees you to decide about reconstruction when you are not in the upheavals of this new diagnosis. Down the road you might proceed with reconstruction or you may not. Not always a good plan, but for some it may be. Just a thought.

Sounds like you are in good hands. Keep the faith - you will do fine.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:40 AM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Another option to discuss with your surgeon: defer reconstruction now (mastectomy only) and reassess in a year or so.

This frees you to decide about reconstruction when you are not in the upheavals of this new diagnosis. Down the road you might proceed with reconstruction or you may not. Not always a good plan, but for some it may be. Just a thought.

Thanks Rich...I will consider that option for sure.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:55 AM   #113

Quote:

This was actually the first thing that came to my mind as well. I think that is something you can decide later, after the dust settles a bit.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:56 AM   #114

Agree with RIT's suggestion.
Sounds like Team SG is top flight. But remember, it's very easy to get overwhelmed with information and decisions. Try to take one step at a time...I know it's not easy, but your mind can only handle so much stress at a time.

Sending more hugs and prayers and keeping the faith with you.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:58 AM   #115
Give me a forum ...

Best of luck sweetie. It does sound like you are in good hands. I worked with a girl(28) who went though this and she did just fine. That was 10 years ago. Not sure what kind of reconstruction surgery she had, but the results were outstanding. I'm sure yours will be too.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:06 AM   #116
Give me a forum ...

I agree with Rich to let the dust settle on part one before you decide on part two unless it's an implant which is a really simple procedure . #4 sounds interesting but the fact that's it's a new procedure I would proceed with caution .
Old 08-10-2011, 12:35 PM   #117

Quote:
From an, albeit male, perspective I'd say this is sound advice; for a couple years after my late wife died I thought I was my 'usual self', (which, in my case, may or may not be a good thing ), but in retrospect I was somewhat off balance and it was probably more luck than judgement that I didn't make some bad decisions.

So...echoing the above thoughts, I'd suggest that you ensure that your emotions have stabilized before making decisions that don't have to be undertaken immediately.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:22 PM   #118
Give me a forum ...

Bummer about the mastectomy. I agree with RIT, Moemg and Nemo2 about taking things one step at a time, if you think you can deal with the mastectomy short term. I'm sure you have DH's full support in every sense of the word.

And Nemo, guys get breast cancer too, just not so frequently as girls.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:57 PM   #119
Moderator Emeritus

Oh my goodness, SG, you have a lot to think about, don't you! Keep your chin up.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:39 PM   #120

Here's a youtube video on this procedure for breast augmentation...

(One of the posted comments beneath the vid is by a lady who had breast cancer and states that she had just had this procedure done the prior day.)

SG - I agree with the OPs comments, there's probably no need to rush into this decision, although it's good to know that there are 'natural' options.

Wishing you a very successful outcome,

omni