I have breast cancer. :-(((

simple girl, wish you the best!

I have a close relative that had the same diagnosis. She's a medical professional in that area, so she knew all about it and treatment. All treatments were radiation. The first treatment took the longest due to the setup required. Locating reference points were put on her skin with a dye. These reference points were used for the rest of the treatments, so the other treatment sessions lasted just minutes apiece. More time was taken to wait and to change clothes than the treatment itself. She took time off from work, went to get treated, then back to work each time. She had no ill effects what so ever. No one would have known that she was undergoing accelerator treatment. Radiation is much much easier than chemo (though it's easy for me to say something like this since I have experienced neither). She is doing fine.

simple girl, wish you the best!

I have a close relative that had the same diagnosis. She's a medical professional in that area, so she knew all about it and treatment. All treatments were radiation. The first treatment took the longest due to the setup required. Locating reference points were put on her skin with a dye. These reference points were used for the rest of the treatments, so the other treatment sessions lasted just minutes apiece. More time was taken to wait and to change clothes than the treatment itself. She took time off from work, went to get treated, then back to work each time. She had no ill effects what so ever. No one would have known that she was undergoing accelerator treatment. Radiation is much much easier than chemo (though it's easy for me to say something like this since I have experienced neither). She is doing fine.

Thank you for that personal story - I'm pretty scared of the radiation/side effects, etc. I sunburn really easily and have read this makes you more susceptible to getting burned skin. I'm still hoping I'll qualify for the internal radiation since it doesn't have these effects and tx only lasts ~ 1 wk vs 5 to 7 wks. If I don't qualify, though, I am encouraged to hear your story!

Best wishes to you, simple girl! :) BTW, there is a website called Caring Bridge, where you can set up a place where family, friends, support folks, etc, can come on and stay in touch. Much more personal and more private than FB. Just wanted you to know,

Financedude

So sorry to hear about your recent diagnosis, but glad it's in an early stage. I hope you fly through it all and straight into permanent cancer free-ville.

simple girl,

Sorry to read about your diagnosis. Twice I've needed biopsies to diagnose lumps and both times I was lucky that they were not cancer.

I'm so glad that your prognosis is good! Something has changed in your life now, your perspective on things may be different. I hope the process is not too difficult and you come out of this in a positive way.

I will be thinking of you every day.

Simple Girl,

I am sorry to hear of the diagnosis, but you seem to be in a great place to go forward successfully. You are a really strong woman.

Best outcomes to you!

Ha

Simple Girl,
I'm sending you positive thoughts and wishes for a speedy recovery, and I'm sure my several friends who have had breast cancer and fully recovered would send you the same if they were on this forum.
When I've had too much excitement from scary diagnoses I've found it helps to have a really good novel handy to escape to, when I feel negative vibes starting to take me over. An assortment of really good novels. And maybe some videos too. But probably best is reaching out to people who care about you, and you've figured that out already.

Simple Girl, my MIL lived more than 30 years after she was diagnosed. I don't know how much attitude affects this, but she had the right one and so do you. Good luck

Forge ahead and we'll be celebrating good news down the road.

I have many Breast Cancer survivors in my immediate family. Looking forward to celebrating for years with one in my new Early Retirement Family! Be strong... I know you will be well!! Thank you for sharing.

Wow was shocked to read that someone who is healthy as yourself should get such a diagnosis.

Stay positive, I am sure you can slay the cancer dragon. I'm looking forward to many updates as to how well you are doing.

SG, I just remembered a very good friend had the same diagnosis and lumpectomy a couple of years ago (not at your tender young age)--four of us old very close girlfriends had lunch a few months later and I remember we asked her about the scar and she very discreetly flashed the restaurant to show us this tiny incision and make us laugh. She too is just fine today, but we were very impressed at her attitude.

Last edited:
SG, sending best wishes for a good outcome on this challenging life's journey. I admire your courage to share this with your ER pals. Take care and I'm betting you will do great with the treatment and support you have around you.

Best wishes to you, simple girl! :) BTW, there is a website called Caring Bridge, where you can set up a place where family, friends, support folks, etc, can come on and stay in touch. Much more personal and more private than FB. Just wanted you to know,

Financedude

Financedude, that is a great idea! Going to go check it out now - thank you!!!

Thank you simple girl and bbbamI for sharing your stories. You've encouraged us to take better care of ourselves and get important tests like mammograms and colonoscopies. Plus, you've helped us realize how important it is to cherish and love every moment our our lives. Hats off to your both!

Attachments

• cat hat..jpg
    cat hat..jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 5
Wow was shocked to read that someone who is healthy as yourself should get such a diagnosis.

Me too! I guess cancer doesn't care how much you work out or watch your weight. :( Really sucks and just is a reminder that you can only control so much in life.

Me too! I guess cancer doesn't care how much you work out or watch your weight. :(
How very true. I don't know anything about BC, but I do know something about colorectal cancer, which I had, and I follow user reports closely enough to tell you that many very health-conscious folks, nonetheless, get cancer. There's no apparent moral component to it at all -- just some random sh*t the world decides to send your way. It's good to hear you're coping okay.

It is rough news, but is repairable. When done you'll be good as new.

To repeat the advice I gave to bbbamI: Think muppets not monsters.

OK Que Allen, for the British version.

You are just amazing. :cool:
I read your post over and over...and I have to say you are just amazing.

Yes, I repeated myself on purpose. Such spirit deserves an encore. ;)

Life happens, but one must get through the biggest challenges that are handed out.
I officially welcome you to the Lemonade Club (when given a case of lemons...).

You go girl! :dance:

I too am sorry to hear of your news. But as others have said, you will be fine. My Mother had breast cancer in her late 40's and it was found early. She's pushing 94 today.

Tell your hubby to look the other way while I give you a big hug.:cool:

Oh sweetie, so sorry to hear you have this to worry about and to endure.

Keep us posted whenever you can, so we can send all kinds of "positive" electrons your way.

Amethyst

Back
Top Bottom