If Your Molecules were Reversed, Would You Die?

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
For my new book, a woman will be transported to a new time via a time machine.

I thought it would be fun if she comes out as a mirror image of herself (heart on the right, liver on the left, etc.).

BUT, I'm guessing that if all her molecules were to be mirror image isomers of what they had been, she would die.

Think so?

Situs Inversus Totalis, a condition in which a person's organs are all arranged as a mirror image of the usual, is not uncommon, occurring in 1:8000 to 1:10000 births. It is usually picked up on a physical examination and confirmed by imaging such as ultrasounds or X-rays, making sure to label right and left very carefully! If everything is backwards, the person should be healthy, although if the diagnosis has not been made, it can cause problems with future diagnosis (e.g. missing a case of appendicitis because the pain is on the left or "wrong" side of the abdomen). People with this condition should wear a medic alert bracelet.

Situs inversus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Occasionally, such a person will have a disorder of ciliary function called Kartagener's syndrome, which usually presents with respiratory symptoms.

Other people have mixed situs inversus, a condition in which some organs face one way and some face the other way. The direction setting equipment seems to have gotten confused! These people are quite likely to have complex congenital heart disease and may sometimes have no spleen, rendering them more susceptible to infection.

If a person's molecules were mirror images, they would be L or D isomers. As we learned in chemistry class, such compounds usually behave quite differently. Therefore, one would expect such a person to exhibit clinical symptoms, which could be anything you can think up!

I hope this helps the cause of literary fiction, Al!

Last edited:
BUT, I'm guessing that if all her molecules were to be mirror image isomers of what they had been, she would die.

She's dead. Quite slowly and painfully, too, from malnutrition and environmental toxins such as things that we consider to be nutritional, but which have the wrong 'handedness' for her biology to metabolize. And all those 'mirror image' chemicals in her body don't act quite the same way the originals do, so she might not even make it as far as her first toxic meal!

Read this: An Adventure in Stereochemistry: Alice in Mirror Image Land (PDF)

Last edited:
She's dead. Quite slowly and painfully, too, from malnutrition and environmental toxins such as things that we consider to be nutritional, but which have the wrong 'handedness' for her biology to metabolize. And all those 'mirror image' chemicals in her body don't act quite the same way the originals do, so she might not even make it as far as her first toxic meal!

Read this: An Adventure in Stereochemistry: Alice in Mirror Image Land (PDF)

I love it! But the exam is tough. You don't happen to have the answers, I suppose?

I love it! But the exam is tough. You don't happen to have the answers, I suppose?

As my old physics prof used to say, as he flung six stacked blackboards full of math out of sight...

"The answer should be intuitively obvious to even the most casual observer!"

:facepalm:

As my old physics prof used to say, as he flung six stacked blackboards full of math out of sight...

"The answer should be intuitively obvious to even the most casual observer!"

:facepalm:

I was just curious to know about the actual chemicals, INTJ that I am!

I thought it would be fun if she comes out as a mirror image of herself (heart on the right, liver on the left, etc.).

Think so?

Well in our Universe naturally occurring organic molecules are left handed as are particle electro-weak interactions, so if those were reversed as well I imagine that she would be ok. She'd probably die if she went to the other Universe and stayed the same.

I'm always intrigued by the way organic compounds that are isomers can interact very differently, all to do with shape and binding energy.

Maybe she ends up only being able to talk backwards.

Or maybe talk backwards while playing the guitar at the same time (another one from Steve Goodman, with a reference to a Homer & Jethro song buried in a backwards line)?

thgin ta tuo emoc yeht srats ekil era hteet ruoy

-ERD50

Stupid question here. If someone had a mirror-image body, could they metabolize the "other" stereoisomers? If we use the L now, does the D fit in reverse-chirality world?

Stupid question here. If someone had a mirror-image body, could they metabolize the "other" stereoisomers? If we use the L now, does the D fit in reverse-chirality world?

No.

So she brings along some food stuffs to eat for 60 years or so that they also get reversed and she is golden. She uses the 60 years to figure out to put stuff in the time machine whenever she needs more sustenance.

Meadbh's response notwithstanding, since I don't agree with it.

Arthur C. Clarke wrote the story "Technical Error" (1946) about this very thing. The conceit was that, due to an industrial accident, a man was somehow transported through a 4th spatial dimension and ended up mirror imaged at the molecular level. Starvation was the prognosis so they attempted to reverse the process. Not one of his best, but his usual attention to scientific details shows.

My biochemist DD and I have an hour-long car ride planned for tomorrow. This concept will be a fun conversation.

Arthur C. Clarke wrote the story "Technical Error" (1946) about this very thing. The conceit was that, due to an industrial accident, a man was somehow transported through a 4th spatial dimension and ended up mirror imaged at the molecular level. Starvation was the prognosis so they attempted to reverse the process. Not one of his best, but his usual attention to scientific details shows.

That's cool, but you know they didn't know as much about DNA, proteins, lipids, oligosaccharides, etc. back then, so I will have to go see what Mr Clarke put in his story. Thanks for mentioning it.

[FONT=&quot]Just tossing thoughts out…[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The disease mentioned appears to be an “oops” in gene programming. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]For your story, you may want to look for some reason for the mirror-image that does not involve molecules becoming mirror images. To babble:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]If the mirror image got down to the point of electrons & positrons, your character would probably emerge as anti-matter, with everything in a quite large radius being vaporized in a large explosion.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Skipping atoms, if molecules (formed by electron connections I believe) are reversed, the body of the character may not hold together. If it does, the person probably could not utilize the oxygen from the air, it wouldn’t connect right to the molecules of the body.[/FONT]

So she brings along some food stuffs to eat for 60 years or so that they also get reversed and she is golden. She uses the 60 years to figure out to put stuff in the time machine whenever she needs more sustenance..

The more obvious solution: She jumps back into the time machine and goes a minute forward in time and reverses the chirality of all her molecules and is thus back to normal.

So they fix the time machine so that it always does an even number of cycles automatically, so that everything pops out with the correct enantiomers whenever it is used.

[FONT=&quot]For your story, you may want to look for some reason for the mirror-image that does not involve molecules becoming mirror images. [/FONT]

Yes, that's what I think I'll do. Maybe I'll say that the reversal only happens down to the range of a millimeter. I don't need this effect at all, but it seems like it would be a fun thing.

And as I learned from REWahoo, I can do anything I want because it's Science Fiction.

Here's a first draft of the very beginning of the book:
The naked woman materialized behind the umpire during the first game of the playoffs.

I squinted at the TV. It looked real. Not a special effect. I moved the live video stream back one minute and paused it. “Hey, guys? You’ll want to see this.”

“Double play?” Stan wandered in from the kitchen, digging into a jar of peanut butter with a spoon.

“Not exactly.” I said.

“How old are these olives?” Craig’s voice sounded like his head was in the fridge. My condo is small. I could hear him fine.

“Get in here, Craig.”

I waited until Stan had flopped down on the couch and Craig stood behind it with his arms crossed. The smell of the pizza we’d demolished still hung in the air. I pressed play.

Her body appeared all at once. One second: normal baseball game. Roar of the crowd, droning announcers, runner at second, fast-ball pitch. Next second: blip, a floating body. It looked as if she were lying face up on a high table. But there was no table. She was stretched out in the air at head level. In fact, one of her hands was touching the ump’s head.

Craig gave a little yip, and Stan stopped chewing. Then started again.

Her body dropped to the ground. No table, remember? The hand must have been caught in the umpire’s mask or hat, because she pulled him down with her. He was a big man, and his butt landed on her face.

“That’s gotta hurt.” Stanislaw Stanislowski guided the spoon back into the peanut butter. Nothing fazes him. Thirty-five years as a cop will do that. He put another oily gob of my all-natural crunchy into his mouth, getting some on his mustache.

Craig looked at him. “Really, Stan? The weirdest thing in history happens, and you’re joking around?”

Stan shrugged. He had a wide body and a rough face. His five-o’clock shadow usually arrived around lunchtime, and his eyebrows looked like woolly bear caterpillars heading into a cold winter.

Craig got up close to the screen. “Hold on. Back up to when she appears and zoom in.”

I made the appropriate gestures to the DigiCast, moved the video feed back, paused it, and zoomed in.

“No, not on her boobs, Eric, sheesh. On her hand. Here, let me drive.” He snatched the controller and panned over to the official’s head. My system had resolution up the wazoo, and we could see the ump’s individual hairs.
My first novel should be out in a few weeks, and everyone here gets a free copy!

Last edited:
I was also going to mention Clarke's short story.

The accident inverted a guy and he was destined to starve. They decided the only answer was to try and "re-invert" him. So they put him back in the magnetic chamber (which was the shell of a turbine to generate electricity) and tried to reproduce the odd magnetic event that caused the inversion. The issue was that the guy just disappeared. Nobody knew why, so they assumed he was dead and put the turbine (commutator?) shaft back into the shell and started it running. But then one guy realized that due to different conditions, the missing guy might reappear in a bit different time - like soon, right where the turbine was spinning! He ran to get somebody but then there was a shake as the lights went out and the turbine fragmented...

Think so?

The official, scientific term for this is "bassackwards"...

Back
Top Bottom