Just Curious

I go to our Y 4 or 5 times per week immediately after w*rk. I feel it's better for me. I can do it rain or shine, day or night. I also do it to get out of the house.

I have been lifting weights for 40 years, seriously for 30. Changed my workout a couple of years ago and surprisingly this is the best I've ever looked, with less time, injury, and exertion per workout. I believe strongly in the benefits of diet and exercise, as evidenced by lowering my LDL and elevating my HDL through diet alone in the past year. Both doctors this year said I am in exceptional health, and I view this as a both a financial and quality of life investment for the future.

To get healthier, I recommend reading this, as it could change, and even save (really!), your life:

The RealAge Makeover: Take Years Off Your Looks and Add Them to Your Life: Michael F. Roizen: 8601401212003: Amazon.com: Books

(don't be fooled by the title; it's about an internal physical makeover, although who is to say there aren't external benefits as well)

Last edited:
We have a gym membership and go 4 days / week. Over the weekend we usually walk and/or bike.

I just hate exercising indoors, it is sooooo boring. But the dog expects to be walked twice a day so that's my basic level of exercise. Weather permitting, I love a good 12+ mile bicycle ride and an occasional weekend backpack.
Unfortunately, living in a lake effect snow area, I find in Jan & Feb that I must suck up my distaste for indoor exercise and get on the old Schwinn Airdyne in the basement....after I set up a TV and streaming Netflix to make the effort barely tolerable, after walking the dog of course...she goes out in any kind of weather which means I go with her (used to do more miles with her but now that she is 13 years old, she takes about 40 minutes to cover a mile)

On days it's too inclement I get on our in-home elliptical. That might be better cardio - but definitely not the same zen feeling.

Inclement weather? In San Diego? If I lived there there would be no need for a gym. Just go outside when it's nice--every single day. Here in Wisconsin it's either raining or brutally cold for 250 days a year.

No gym membership here. We have a treadmill, total trainer gym and free weights. In the warmer months, I alternate between running outside and strength training at home. During the winter I combine strength training with indoor aerobic exercises. Might consider trying a gym once retired but just doesn't work with my current schedule.

No gym membership, live in a rural area and it's too far to travel to the closes gym. Have a nice set of adjustable dumbbells and workout with weights 2-3 times a week at home along with running 3 times a week and golf (walking) 3-4 times a week.

My SO and I belong to the local YMCA, which has a decent gym. I simply use the elliptical and the rowing machine (so far). Began this only in March of this year, when I ER'ed. I've lost about ten pounds of flab and kept off. I go four times a week.

DW and I have been going to a gym ("Wellness Center", they call it) affiliated with the local hospital and located within sight of it. I started about two years ago and DW about a year before that. We go every other day, rarely skipping a day and that's always because of a schedule conflict with something else.

It is slightly more expensive ($58.50/month for two) than other gyms but the staff is very knowledgeable and the equipment is clean and well maintained. Since most there are retirees, at least during the times we go, there is no "posturing" or that type of silliness that I sometimes hear about at other places.

Frank and I belong to a similar Wellness Center. Everything you said applies except our fees are a little higher, $42/month each. I like it a lot. Ours has lots of very nice equipment, and we seldom have to wait for anything. It also has several large indoor pools, an indoor track, stretching stations, steam room, massage rooms, classes, and so on. We have been going together on MWF ever since we retired 6 years ago. Before that, I was working but went by myself whenever I could get there.

It's fairly open and pleasant. Here's a photo of a small part of the main room where the machines are. You can see someone walking on the indoor track, which goes around the perimeter on the second floor.

Attachments

• Img_0158.jpg
    Img_0158.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
I've been walking ~2 miles weekday mornings for 15 years - now it's nearly every day since the dog really needs a good walk. Also a weekly yoga class. But I know I should do more upper body work and never have been able to get myself motivated to do it at home, so I've been considering joining a nearby Curves. That's because when I traveled a lot on business and went into the hotel gym for a treadmill walk, I hated the looks from the macho dudes. So I figured a women-only gym might work better for me. I know several women who go there (all older than me) but haven't gone to check it out yet.

No gym membership, but have a bowflex, dumbbells and treadmill in my basement that I use at least 3 times a week. Usually when DW goes to the gym. I Bike and hike in good weather.

I probably would not pay for a gym with just machines but I've had a Boston Sports Club membership for at least 15 years b/c they have pools. My doctor recommended swimming for me while I was recovering from a running injury. It took awhile to get into it, but it was worth it. I believe that there is something about swimming that changes your brain. I swim at 5am on weekdays and run at the same time on weekends. For me it is the foundation for a good day.

No gym, but I ride a bicycle around town for a few miles every day. The trips are usually just a few miles round trip, with the occasional 15-20 mile excursion. Recently, I began adding a set of daily exercises prescribed by my physical therapist. They seem to be working wonders for my arthritic hip. Have thought about joining the local YMCA for their swim-exercise classes but for some odd reason, joining anything is not my thing at all. I'm really weird like that.

I am primarily a cyclist but started with a personal trainer last winter to work on some core and back strength and flexibility issues that were causing some problems. It worked, but was expensive so just joined my wife's gym so I could continue them work though I don't enjoy it. They say some strength work is good for cyclists as we age.

My wife swims at the gym as well as does a couple classes or strength training. I during winter I ride by indoor bike trainer. Not much fun on the 2'hour sessions but good for watching tedtalks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I belong to a small 24 hour fitness center within walking distance of my home. Since I've been a member for several years and joined when they were giving a local neighbor discount my rate has been grandfathered and I pay roughly $175 a year (about $15 a month). I go four days a week (M,T,T,F) for 90 minutes each day.

I have been a gym member since I moved to DC in 1980. I need the structure to get the lifting in that I like. Since retirement DW and I have taken up biking and average 60-100 miles per week. During the cool-warm season I only go to the gym for weights. In the winter and sometimes in the worst heat waves I go a couple of times a week for spinning. I wish I liked walking more because that is probably the best exercise you can make a habit out of.

Been members of Y since winter set in two years ago. DW does yoga and what I refer to as "kick yer ass classes" 3-5 times a week. I used to only go in inclement weather and just used cardio machines. I prefer mountain biking but trails close if rain or even muddy. Have discovered Expresso bikes at Y, addictive. Video screen with many select rides, keeps all your data (and you can see others) and I find it is the only indoor cardio I actually enjoy. Treadmills, ellipticals, and plain bikes just bore me to death. Was doing weight machines but have a shoulder problem that stopped that.

I belong to a women's gym . I go three times a week mostly swimming or cardio.We have a treadmill, a rower and other equipment at home but I need the motivation of a gym.

I don't belong to a gym but I do work out regularly. In no particular order, yoga, treadmill, weights, walking in the park.

That pesky pedometer is a handy thing to have.

I exercise regularly. Now play b-ball two days a week and hockey once. Between that I might walk, run or bike. In the summer, I do a lot of biking including bike tours of a few weeks.

Before moving a few years ago, I belonged to a gym where I exercised on my own and played b-ball. Lifting weights on my own, I expect I was doing things wrong (form) and potentially harmful or with low effect.

Our kids use a trainer that is a bit expensive but he selects a good program and helps with form, which I believe makes a big difference. I have been lazy to use the trainer but our holiday gift will be one month with their trainer. And my wife said we should do at least 2 months. I know it is much better than Planet Fitness since this trainer mostly encourages using your own body weight, which I believe has the lowest chance of injury.

At the end of the day however, I am still drawn to competitive sports. The players do not need to be great but the competition itself is fun.

I've belonged to a gym since my 20's so about 20 years. I go right after work. I use weights at home but like all the different equipment and classes at the gym. Latest rage is the kamagon ball for exercise. The routines are similar to using a kettlebell.

Someone else posted about checking out the gym at the hours you would use it. If you are thinking about joining for the New Year (usually see discounts to join around then) be aware that the influx of newbies swells the ranks. It looks like it's crowded but thins out after January.

Sounds like my Planet Fitness membership. $10/month but add sales tax and an annual fee that's charged in chunks over the year. I use it daily. Great people and equipment, but I HATE that the only way to pay is them yanking it out of your checking account. Not even my mortgage company gets to do that. The guest fee is $20 unless you have the more expensive (additional $10/month) membership. I bring DS in a few times a year when he's here to visit.

My Planet Fitness experience is much different than yours. Every year, about a month before my membership expires, I get a coupon in the mail to renew for $99 per year. I hand them my credit card, they charge $99 to it, and that's it. No sales tax, no additional fee, no more charges until I renew again in 12 months.

I only use the Planet for weight workouts. Everything else, I do either outside or in my basement. But I'm one who would rather run outside in sub-zero weather than get on a treadmill.

I joined a gym called 10-Fitness ($10 + taxes) after retiring and was getting lackadaisical about going until recently.

It used to make me laugh(grimace) to think I changed gyms upon retirement and saved $30/month. I was looking for $1100 to shave off pre-retirement budget, ha.

To attend classes at the "new" gym costs another $10 UNLESS it is the weight training class. The weight training class is the one I was most interested in, and recently found out it is included in the $10+ fee.

Before retirement, at my old gym, the weight training class was my go-to.

So, while I am on the back row, giving new meaning to modifying, I am a happy clam.

My Planet Fitness experience is much different than yours. Every year, about a month before my membership expires, I get a coupon in the mail to renew for $99 per year. I hand them my credit card, they charge $99 to it, and that's it. No sales tax, no additional fee, no more charges until I renew again in 12 months..

I just joined in July after we moved to the area so it could happen. I'll be thrilled if I get that deal!

I get free access to our Anytime Fitness gym from my Silver Sneakers membership that is part of our Medicare Advantage plan. My daughter told me that she will introduce me to the trainer there so that I can get started using the equipment. This is a nice savings and saves me $60 per month over the YMCA in the next town over.

Back
Top Bottom