Just Curious

frayne

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
How many here belong to a gym or fitness center and workout on a regular basis ?

Been retired for ten years and have always been active, walking, playing golf, etc. With winter setting in and nothing planned as far as volunteer work as I have done in the past I am thinking about going a fitness center. I have two fairly close, Planet Fitness and Rock Fitness center, both pretty reasonable as far as fees and no long term commitment. Just curious how many here belong to such a place and work out on a regular basis ?

Thanks in advance.

DW and I have been going to a gym ("Wellness Center", they call it) affiliated with the local hospital and located within sight of it. I started about two years ago and DW about a year before that. We go every other day, rarely skipping a day and that's always because of a schedule conflict with something else.

It is slightly more expensive ($58.50/month for two) than other gyms but the staff is very knowledgeable and the equipment is clean and well maintained. Since most there are retirees, at least during the times we go, there is no "posturing" or that type of silliness that I sometimes hear about at other places.

My wife and I have been going to our gym now for about 12 years. We go three times a week, M-W-F at 6:30 am for an hour. We like to go early and get it done for the day! We have found if we put it off that we too easily find reasons to skip it, but going early does multiple things for us. One it starts our day off nicely, secondly we are 'there' and doing the exercises before we have a chance to talk ourselves out of it. And finally it isn't that crowded at that time of day compared to later in the morning, or god forbid, after people get off work.

We are both 56, and I plan on going kicking and screaming into my later years as much as I can. I see what not going to the gym or getting regular exercise does to people and that is what I am trying to avoid.

Now 'right now' I am on vacation. I had to get my orthotics repaired and will have them back next week. So for the last week we haven't went at all, thus my vacation. It is nice that my vacation now is time away from the gym! I should note that I personally do NOT enjoy the gym, at all, I do weights and running. I do them but I can't honestly say I enjoy them.

Not part of a gym, but DH and I do try to walk 5 to 6 miles everyday!

DW and I go to the local Y every MWF just after lunch. It's pretty empty at that hour (just a few other older folks like us) except when schools off and the Y runs a special "camp" (i.e. day care) for kids who's parents work.

It's a newer facility - very clean, open, and well run. We've been doing this since before we retired - we both worked at home, so on MWF we just make sure we didn't have to call in for meetings at that time.

I used to belong to a monthly gym with a very small initiation fee, but read the small prints. They charged me for the first month and last month and they had some added cost every so many months in addition. They charged me for one extra month after I cancelled my membership also (I cannot remember why). I was OK with the other gym I quit. If there are no obligations to continue with the gym membership and there are no hidden fees, I would try it for a month and see.

I belong to one of these cut rate gyms (YouFit) that don't offer a lot of amenities besides the exercise equipment (it's a remodeled supermarket.) It's $15/mo with an additional fee of $30 every March. It suits my purpose which is to maintain my aerobic capacity during the hot desert summer months. I use it less during the winter as that's the best time for outdoor activity around here. I used to cycle a lot but traffic is a lot worse these days so I do more hiking in the Phoenix mountain parks (usually Piestewa Peak).

P.S. It's a good idea to check out the gym around the times you expect to use it to see if it's crowded to the point you may be waiting to use specific equipment.

Last edited:
I don't belong to a gym but walk the dog on the beach every morning at sunrise. It's a great way to start the day, benefits me and the dog, and puts a smile on my face.

On days it's too inclement I get on our in-home elliptical. That might be better cardio - but definitely not the same zen feeling.

I don't belong to a fitness club. In Apr-Nov I walk, bike, sail & yardwork outdoors and Dec-Mar I hit the treadmill, rower at home in the basement & shovel snow :facepalm: , and augment with BowFlex year round. Working out at/around the house is much cheaper, takes half the time as a club (driving to/from, schlepping clothes, etc. or showering), and I can workout any time of day I want.

Last edited:
Been going to LA Fitness M-F mornings (8:30a) for many years. It's a great way to get going in the morning and the social aspect is pretty good too.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Do workout at the local Ymca twice a week, figure skate two or three times a week, do lumberjacking at my camp, and ...... take out the trash too.

We joined a local gym two months ago when the weather got too cold(according to DW) for walking outside.

We choose the local place over Planet Fitness. I'm sure they're fine, we preferred the small local feel. We've been going 3 times a week 30 minutes of weights then 30 of cardio.

I had never belonged to a gym in my life, but a couple of years ago decided to give it a try. I did a trial membership at 2 different gyms and decided it's not for me. I just didn't like the 'feel' of either place and couldn't see myself becoming a gym person for the rest of my life. Decided to stick to things I enjoy doing and probably can continue doing for a long time: hiking and bicycling, and occasional upper body workouts at home.

I'd suggest trying a trial membership at at least a couple of different gyms - the 2 I tried were very different, and who knows, if I had tried more then maybe I'd have found one I really liked going to.

DH and I met at the racquetball club 28 years ago, and have had gym memberships since that time. We've been at LA Fitness for about ten years. I use it more in the winter than in the summer, since I am primarily a runner (and sometimes cyclist) that prefers to be outside. Besides providing the opportunity to do different types of workouts, going to the gym gets us out of the house in the winter.

I used to belong to a monthly gym with a very small initiation fee, but read the small prints. They charged me for the first month and last month and they had some added cost every so many months in addition. They charged me for one extra month after I cancelled my membership also (I cannot remember why).

Sounds like my Planet Fitness membership. $10/month but add sales tax and an annual fee that's charged in chunks over the year. I use it daily. Great people and equipment, but I HATE that the only way to pay is them yanking it out of your checking account. Not even my mortgage company gets to do that. The guest fee is $20 unless you have the more expensive (additional $10/month) membership. I bring DS in a few times a year when he's here to visit.

No gym for me, I just go running around the streets or park. Since I am still working, I tend to do it right at end of the workday before I head home.

Also do a lot of walking around. Between the running and walking i get enough exercise.

No gym membership for me, but bicycle outside in warmer months, in colder or bad weather, indoor treadmill or exercise bike. Plus dumbells too for toning.

I should really be going to a gym regularly, as it'd be good for my type II diabetes.

My time's spent doing manual labor maintaining 3 houses--one of which is on a steep hillside. Blowing leaves can be very physical, as can be cutting grass manually. And I do carpentry work just about all the time.

No gym membership. Play pickleball every day and once I retire at the end of the month I'll be adding daily water volleyball.

I've been going to a gym for probably 35 years (not the same one of course). But I was a college athlete so doing athletics has been a part of my life forever.

Currently I strength train 4-5 times weekly, play ice hockey and run with my dogs (I can't keep up sadly haha).

Some type of exercise is critical to not only overall health, balance and so on but plays a huge role in brain health.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

We joined Planet Fitness last year and enjoy it. Reasonable price, clean, open 24 hours, and friendly staff. We never have to wait for treadmills or machines. I do not have a set workout schedule, but usually go 3-4 days per week. I think you will like Planet Fitness.

No gym membership for me, but I do some kind of exercise every day. I walk (several miles, usually), do a little sprinting, plus I do some pullups (have a pullup bar in the house), squats, and a few other exercises at home most days. I also get quite a bit of exercise during the summer months - mowing several lawns (push mower, no rider), gardening, kayaking, and various other activities. And of course shoveling snow during the winter. The key is just to keep moving, doing something.....sitting for too long will kill you.

No gym, but a few feet behind me here in my den I have a treadmill, a rowing machine and a free weight bench.

I used to run but arthritis has put a stop to that. Still, I walk a lot. When I go to a store, I normally park as far away as I can and walk to and from the store.

We got lucky when our park district built a very deluxe facility within walking distance of our home. Large, clean/well maintained, all the latest goodies, full size pool, two full size gyms. Costs a bit under $200/yr for me and DW is free because she has "Silver Sneakers" with her Medicare Advantage plan. Lots of classes and group training offered for free. Personalized training and physical therapy is reasonable (cheap compared to the nearby private clubs).

Having said all that good stuff......

DW gets an A+ for going regularly. I get a C. I'm erratic. I get the bug and go 3 - 4 times a week for several weeks in a row. Then I have something come up, miss a few days, and need to get re-motivated. I really wish I could be more driven and disciplined about it and not have the regular periods of blowing it off.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom