laid off, wife on Medicare

broadway

Full time employment: Posting here.
I am trying to help a friend who is being laid off.
He is not 65, but his wife is.
He is losing his job.
They live in Illinois.

He would be eligible to get insurance through Healthcare.gov

Would he enter income for 2017 = income + unemployment?

Is there anything unusual about getting insurance under these circumstances vs at the start of the year?

Would he get insurance based on just his income for 2017?

There is nothing unusual about getting insurance when laid off. Change or loss of employment is considered a "life event" that makes one eligible for mid-year ACA insurance. If he finds another job with employer provided insurance, he can then drop the ACA insurance with no problem.

Now I am hearing that he was on Medicaid before he got this job.

His wife is getting $589/month.

Does he use his income and his income alone and ignore his wife's SS when applying for insurance? That's the part that confuses me.

I am a single person, so I never had to concern myself with spousal income.

Does he use his income and his income alone and ignore his wife's SS when applying for insurance? That's the part that confuses me.
The answer is in the link provided in post #2. Household income.

When you fill out a Marketplace application, you’ll need to estimate what your household income is likely to be for the year.

Marketplace savings are based on your expected household income for the year you want coverage.

A household consists of the tax filer, their spouse if they have one, and their tax dependents, including those who don’t need coverage. The Marketplace counts estimated income of all household members who are required to file a tax return.

Include both taxable and non-taxable Social Security income. Enter the full amount before any deductions.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom