Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-02-2011, 11:58 AM   #261
Confused about dryer sheets

Not to worry. I have gone through it as many others. I decided for complete removal after discussing it with my wife.

I have had a 0 PSA since with no longterm issues. There are many links out there that will help you understand the process. The survial rate is very very high 99%+ with early detection.

Stand by your man. This is a difficult time for him.

Here is the straight poop.
1. Get rid of the cancer
2. Get rid of the incontinence ( usually last 2-4 weeks)
3. Remedy the erectil dysfunction issues. ( there are a multitude of possible soultions)
th_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2011, 01:17 PM   #262
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by th_01 View Post
Not to worry. I have gone through it as many others. I decided for complete removal after discussing it with my wife.

I have had a 0 PSA since with no longterm issues. There are many links out there that will help you understand the process. The survial rate is very very high 99%+ with early detection.

Stand by your man. This is a difficult time for him.

Here is the straight poop.
1. Get rid of the cancer
2. Get rid of the incontinence ( usually last 2-4 weeks)
3. Remedy the erectil dysfunction issues. ( there are a multitude of possible soultions)
First of all I feel honored that a long time member such as yourself submitted your first post to my thread.

Thank you for sharing your experience and your advice. This is new territory for DH and me...some days are pretty good...some days not so much. We're just taking it one day at a time and are hoping for the best.

Thanks again....
Old 03-10-2011, 07:57 PM   #263
Give me a forum ...

Well tomorrow will be the halfway point in DH's RT. 22 down....22 more to go. So far, he's only had one side effect which has been minimal. I'm rather surprised that he has no rash/burn on his skin due to the radiation. I suppose I'm surprised because he has a fair complexion...I'm not sure if that matters or not.

It's gotten to the point now where the trips to the cancer center are routine. They're not a 'normal' routine by any means, but we've become accustomed to them.

I'll be glad when things get back to normal....well as normal as they can be.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:12 PM   #264
Recycles dryer sheets

We appreciate the updates you do here. This discussion may be very helpful to other members in the future. I'm sure it's difficult for both of you. Thank you for sharing your experience.

...open up your mind and see like me...
Avalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 08:34 PM   #265
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon View Post
We appreciate the updates you do here. This discussion may be very helpful to other members in the future. I'm sure it's difficult for both of you. Thank you for sharing your experience.
Thank you Avalon....

I do hope this thread will help someone else. I know it has certainly helped me as I have received so much encouragement, information and compassion from my friends on this forum.

Some things you can put a price on....but others are priceless.
Old 03-11-2011, 02:18 AM   #266
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

BBB, I hope you won´t mind that my 1000 post be dedicated to you, your husband,and to all other members that are going through similar terrible situations, and, nevertheless, showing such great courage and spirit.
God bless you all.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:25 AM   #267
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicente solano View Post
BBB, I hope you won´t mind that my 1000 post be dedicated to you, your husband,and to all other members that are going through similar terrible situations, and, nevertheless, showing such great courage and spirit.
God bless you all.
Always the gentleman....thank you Vicente....
Old 03-24-2011, 04:50 PM   #268
Give me a forum ...

I went with DH to his RT...and today was a rather emotional one.

My buddy that has been there all along completed his last treatment today. He sure did calm my fears and kept me smiling every time I saw him. I gave him a big hug, told him I would miss him and wished him well.

Then I met Ben. Ben is 32 years old and has testicular cancer. He seems confident; however I could see the worry in his eyes. His first radiation treatment is today. ....sigh....

DH is doing very well and has only 13 more treatments to go.

This has been and continues to be quite the experience.
Old 03-24-2011, 05:39 PM   #269
Give me a forum ...

Home stretch! seems like only a little while since you guys were staring 44 treatments in the face...or well, maybe not the face, exactly; but you know what I mean.

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post

Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 05:50 PM   #270

Still no serious complications, I hope?

R
Old 03-24-2011, 06:19 PM   #271
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:

This experience will change how you look at things and not in a bad way . You & DH are handling this great !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 07:49 PM   #272
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
Still no serious complications, I hope?

R
No. The only side effect he has is going to the bathroom a little more often (no diarrhea). No rash, blood, or pain so far. His doctor is a bit stunned.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:53 PM   #273
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Home stretch! seems like only a little while since you guys were staring 44 treatments in the face...or well, maybe not the face, exactly; but you know what I mean.

Amethyst
Woman...you made me laugh out loud!

Yeah....but the appts are getting a bit old for him....coz who needs a stinkin' schedule in retirement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
This experience will change how you look at things and not in a bad way . You & DH are handling this great !
Yes Moe...you're right. It's not all bad....

Thank you...
Old 03-24-2011, 09:40 PM   #274
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Then I met Ben. Ben is 32 years old and has testicular cancer. He seems confident; however I could see the worry in his eyes. His first radiation treatment is today. ....sigh....
When I went to my last tour on active duty I relieved a guy who'd been drydocked for testicular cancer. He'd just finished up the treatments and received a clean bill of health-- his life had been so stressful that he was actually looking forward to being a submarine XO. He went on to command and eventually retired and AFAIK has had no problems.

He got a lot more occupational exposure to ionizing radiation from the Navy's medical people than from the Navy's nuclear reactors...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 11:18 PM   #275
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI
I worked with a young engineer that found out he had testicular cancer during his college graduation physical. Good thing the physical was free or he would not have gone. The cancer eventually spread, and he endured several surgeries. He kept fighting and got a clean bill of health. It was amazing to see how much he cherished life following his bout with cancer. He married a teacher and got a new job out of state. And he takes a sabbatical from work every summer to spend with his wife.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 05:40 AM   #276
Administrator

Quote:
No. The only side effect he has is going to the bathroom a little more often (no diarrhea). No rash, blood, or pain so far. His doctor is a bit stunned.
That is brilliant, I'm so pleased to hear that the side effects are so small.

I worked with a 30 something engineer who developed testicular cancer and he used to travel 5 hours to Houston for treatment, staying for a week or so at a time. Very difficult for him and his young family but he was cured, and that was over 15 years ago that he was given the all-clear.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:57 AM   #277
Administrator

Quote:
I went with DH to his RT...and today was a rather emotional one.

My buddy that has been there all along completed his last treatment today. He sure did calm my fears and kept me smiling every time I saw him. I gave him a big hug, told him I would miss him and wished him well.

Good for both of you. Sounds like you're becoming a bit of a soothing influence at the center as well. Not surprised at all.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 12:03 PM   #278
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
When I went to my last tour on active duty I relieved a guy who'd been drydocked for testicular cancer. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I worked with a young engineer that found out he had testicular cancer during his college graduation physical.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I worked with a 30 something engineer who developed testicular cancer and he used to travel 5 hours to Houston for treatment, staying for a week or so at a time.
Wow...seems as if testicular cancer is not that uncommon.

It sure is difficult talking to a young person about cancer. I'm old enough to be Ben's mom. Even though I'm not a mom, I felt maternal instincts kick in. I wanted to make it go away and for him to be all better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Good for both of you. Sounds like you're becoming a bit of a soothing influence at the center as well. Not surprised at all.
Oh my....thank you Michael.

It continues to be a roller coaster ride of emotions. Seems as if we are there to catch each other when we fall....
Old 04-12-2011, 10:22 AM   #279
Give me a forum ...

I am pleased to report that DH will complete his last RT today.

The only side effect he’s had has been going to the bathroom more than usual. This side effect should be gone within two to three weeks. He will have a PSA done in the next four to six weeks, then will have a PSA done every six months for five years. After five years, he will have it done once a year.

A forum member suggested we get the paperwork from his RT regarding all aspects of his treatment for future reference. We should be getting those reports soon.

As for my ‘side effects’, I’ve experienced bouts of my face breaking out, every bite of food going straight through me, and having difficulty sleeping. Kicking butterflies was on my agenda as well, but I have someone close to me that has helped me through the tough times. Sometimes a strong shoulder, at least in my case, can do more than any medication.

On another personal note, thankfully my momma remained stable during DH’s RT. I did not have to make a mad dash to MO alone. My daddy would have known there was something wrong and I would have had to tell him what was going on with DH. I never had to tell him; daddy has enough to deal with and thankfully he was spared.

It’s been quite the adventure. It hasn’t been all bad….a couple of months ago I started using my ‘fancy’ dishes…even for bologna sandwiches.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:55 AM   #280

Glad you two are done with this phase and I'll be hoping all your future results show that it's GONE for GOOD.

I understand using the fancy dishes! Sometimes you realize you don't need to put off the finer things for another time. The time is now.