Nail fungus cure

donheff

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I thought I read a thread on the unpleasant topic of toe nail fungus but can’t find it so in the spirit of TMI I will post my own. I have been plagued with what is euphemistically called keratin debris in my big toe for years. The dermatologist has been no help- I tested negative for some type of fungus for which they have an effective medicine. I have the more pedestrian version that is the subject of multiple TV adds for various cures. I have tried them all (NonyX for 6 months) all to no avail. Never ready to give up I keep my eyes peeled and try anything promising. Now I have stumbled on something that may actually work.

I ran into some long winded narrative by a biochemist who claimed to have saved his father from fungus on the heart and killed off his nail fungus as a side effect. His theory is that nail fungus is a result of a wider systemic fungus infestation that effects the nails and can escalate to more serious problems. In pages of technical blather he details he research finding that the fungus can be combatted by a complex stew of probiotics. Naturally his concoction is for sale. It’s pricey but I figured why not give it a shot - what could go wrong. Before I popped for his pricey brand I checked Dr Google and found a better deal with essentially the same mix - Dr Tobias’ probiotics. I ordered a months supply and gave it a shot. Good news and bad news.

After 3 weeks I see a dramatic improvement on the nail beds of both big toes. A progressively larger crescent of clear nail is marching up the toes. This stuff may actually work after decades. The bad news is that I started experiencing gastrointestinal distress after a week or so. I initially attributed it to my morning coffee but it continued to get worse after stopping coffee. Now I suspect that I am negatively reacting to the probiotics so I stopped them. At least till I get my gut under control. The long winded piece I read indicated that a month of probiotics might do the trick so I am hoping my clear nails will continue to grow.

Anyone else out there had any luck with probiotics?

I started to have fungus on 3 toes in my 20s back in my home country. I did not think too much of them until I came to US and saw my primary doctor the first time in my 40s. He prescribed a pill (so long ago and I do not remember the name) and I took them 3 months straight. All cleared after that. Fast forward another 20 years, fungus never came back.

So, have you talked to your doctor and see if s/he can prescribe something similar for you to take?

BTW, we discussed this topic on a recent thread (not the two mentioned above). Can't find it.

EDIT:

Found it. ALL about toenail fungus and treatments. 4 pages worth.

From just last month: While we are discussing toenails...

That thread has to be good, because it even mentions the old "pissing on the nails while showering" cure. :)

Last edited:
Between antibiotics and antifungals, it's difficult to keep the gut in balance. Be careful you don't overdo it. Read up on SIBO to learn one possible consequence.

My husband has had nail fungus on his feet for years. The meds he tried are too toxic. He is now 81, drugs are too risky.

BTW, we discussed this topic on a recent thread (not the two mentioned above). Can't find it.

EDIT:

That thread has to be good, because it even mentions the old "pissing on the nails while showering" cure. :)
That is the thread I was looking for and wanted to add to. I couldn't find it when I searched but I might have quickly narrowed my search to the health forum and I see that it was posted in other topics

EDIT:

I am proud to claim that I started that thread...and was going to add to it or start another because of a development. I have a bunch of sun related skin boo-boos and decided I should see a dermatologist. The PA did a "full body" scan with a light and 99% of my "areas" were not dangerous. But when she got to my nasty toes she asked if I wanted to do something about it. I said "maybe" , but I wouldn't take any systemic drug for it.
She wrote an Rx for "Jublia"...which my Part D plan would not fill. I figured it might be a tad pricey, so I did some checking. At Walmart, with a GoodRx coupon, I could get 4cc for a mere $585...

Course of treatment likely to be 10 months, I have 5 affected toes. How long do you think my 4cc is likely to last?

So the point of my new thread was to have been more about the ridiculousness of a product that would likely cost as much as $5K to treat toenail fungus.

I don't have toenail fungus, but judging from the scary photos on the Web I would not mind paying $5K to get rid of it, instead of suffering a lifetime with it.

If this terrible affliction is that hard to cure, then something that works should be worth a lot. If it does not work, I would be pissed.

I don't have toenail fungus, but judging from the scary photos on the Web I would not mind paying $5K to get rid of it, instead of suffering a lifetime with it.

If this terrible affliction is that hard to cure, then something that works should be worth a lot. If it does not work, I would be pissed.

The problem is that even with Jubilia the success rate is less than 50% Some studies show as low as 18%. This medicine costs $500 for a 4 ml bottle which last approximately a week. The treatment course is 48 weeks. Total cost would be >$20,000. Toenail fungus, although gross and unpleasant to live with, is not life threatening. To shell out >$20,000 for a possible cure that has low odds of really curing you is not something most people are willing to spend.

The problem is that even with Jubilia the success rate is less than 50% Some studies show as low as 18%. This medicine costs $500 for a 4 ml bottle which last approximately a week. The treatment course is 48 weeks. Total cost would be >$20,000. Toenail fungus, although gross and unpleasant to live with, is not life threatening. To shell out >$20,000 for a possible cure that has low odds of really curing you is not something most people are willing to spend.

I have asked podiatrists, MDs, and now, a dermatologist PA if my toenail fungus presented any threat other than an esthetic one, and the answer has always been "no".

Oh good grief. Another one of life's myriad miseries.

Back
Top Bottom