New Health ins. and pre-existing conditions

jaimee

Dryer sheet wannabe
What is the real story with this? If I retire from work where I currently have healthcare paid for by my employer, and I happen to have a pre-existing condition (or somebody in my family does), can I get insurance through a new carrier that will continue to cover whatever treatment we are under?

if no, what if we go to the same carrier my company uses for group coverage? I read around and looked but found conflicting information around waiting periods etc. Anyone can clarify?
Thanks
-J

What is the real story with this? If I retire from work where I currently have healthcare paid for by my employer, and I happen to have a pre-existing condition (or somebody in my family does), can I get insurance through a new carrier that will continue to cover whatever treatment we are under?

if no, what if we go to the same carrier my company uses for group coverage? I read around and looked but found conflicting information around waiting periods etc. Anyone can clarify?

As noted, it is contract-specific. Your current carrier likely is obliged to provide the 18 months of COBRA protection at your expense. I would check to see if your employer has retiree insurance (continuation insurance, if not retiring) as part of their contract. If those are not available, you may be seeking private insurance as an individual. Your pre-existing conditions may prove important and if you do get coverage, count on it being very expensive.

It reflects a very flawed system in dire need of change. I wish you well in working through this. At least COBRA will provide you some time to do your homework.

Thanks to both. I found what I needed and I'm following up with my company about continuation insurance.

One thing I might add....you may be eligible for an additional 6 months of continuation of coverage after cobra. Ask your insurance rep or HR dept.

Back
Top Bottom