Obamacare Animated Video (updated)

I thought it was cute and thorough, from a 10,0000 foot level. Thanks for posting it.

It got me thinking about the people that live in the US that decide not to buy insurance. Will it be the same as today, where the hospitals are required to treat people if they present themselves at the hospital? We have a set of people in this country that operate like that now, and I wondered if it be "business as usual" for them. I guess there will be a smallish fine on their federal taxes (if they're legal and file taxes) if they decide not to buy, but any rule changes on the hospital side?

if they decide not to buy, but any rule changes on the hospital side?

AFAIK, no rule changes on the hospital side. Emergencies have to be treated. The Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor act covers emergencies only. Non-emergencies are not covered by this law, and hospitals do not have to treat the non-emergencies. but as we know, if something festers long enough, it will be an emergency. Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Brought to mind the Yiddish exclamation OY

That was quite handy to watch as being a non US citizen I couldn't quite figure it out, think ill stick with the NHS though, whilst its on its knees and deff needs overhauling, at least it's still free at point of need for all ... With the exception of dentistry ( now ) some eye care ( now) and for those living in England prescriptions ... The Scot's and Welsh don't pay prescription fees :)

More coming from companies on Obamacare. Wish I could remember which company this was but heard on the radio that some large employer in the country is going to make a change in there coverage. I'm not sure, but I think it was IBM. That company will drop coverage of an employee's spouse if the spouse has coverage available at their workplace. The way I understand it, if my wife was covered by my company's health insurance plan and she was also working at some other company, she would no longer be covered by my company but would be forced to use the insurance coverage at her own company, even if wasn't as good.

Anyone know more about this? Just another wrinkle in the insurance game.

Nothing new with that, just UPS is big. Many small companies have dropped spouse/family coverage and/or charge full price. It's also only for non union employees with working spouse that have other coverage available. I can see their point, why should they provide coverage to some that doesn't work for them.

I think ER freeloading is somewhat overblown. Yes they can't let you die on the doorway, but all they have to do is stabilize you. They don't provide cancer treatment, heart surgery, dialysis, chronic disease treatments etc.

I think ER freeloading is somewhat overblown. Yes they can't let you die on the doorway, but all they have to do is stabilize you. They don't provide cancer treatment, heart surgery, dialysis, chronic disease treatments etc.
Good point. I've not thought too much (or read anything) about the way this works today, and if expeditures in this area significantly increase the cost to those that pay. But have read a little about coaxing the non-insured to sign-up for the ACA, and sort of hoped there would be more rules. Maybe like motor-voter, they could make them sign-up for ACA in the ER ;)

I thought the video provided a good, dumbed down overview, considering its target audience of people that don't even know if the ACA is law.

Back
Top Bottom