Pain & Stress & PTSD

Khan

Gone but not forgotten
First a disclaimer: I realize many people have suffered through worse stuff, and I can only begin to empathize.

I was without electricity for six days in September '08; this brought back some of the symptoms of stress that had gone away after retiring (a very mild form of PTSD which raised my BP when I gave blood a bit later).

On December 17 I wiped out on the ice and landed on my left hand/wrist. The pain combined with some serious SAD led to a serious down spiral for a bit.

Realizing what was causing the problems and support from online folks and turning on many lights and the pain cessation all helped pull me through.

My point: admit there is a problem and seek appropriate help, whether it be added electricity or physical therapy or temporary pharmaceuticals or internet sympathy.

I think it is difficult for many men to ask for help. I know it is for me.

First a disclaimer: I realize many people have suffered through worse stuff, and I can only begin to empathize.

I was without electricity for six days in September '08; this brought back some of the symptoms of stress that had gone away after retiring (a very mild form of PTSD which raised my BP when I gave blood a bit later).

On December 17 I wiped out on the ice and landed on my left hand/wrist. The pain combined with some serious SAD led to a serious down spiral for a bit.

Realizing what was causing the problems and support from online folks and turning on many lights and the pain cessation all helped pull me through.

My point: admit there is a problem and seek appropriate help, whether it be added electricity or physical therapy or temporary pharmaceuticals or internet sympathy.

Thanks, Khan. This is great advice, and so timely during this holiday season when so many suffer with "Christmas blues", substance abuse, and/or a myriad of other problems. Hope your wrist pain and seasonal affective disorder are both continuing to diminish!

I'm so glad you are feeling better!

By the way, pardon my ignorance, but who is the man in your avatar?

Khan,

Pleased to hear that you are feeling better. Thank you for sharing.

I'm so glad you are feeling better!

By the way, pardon my ignorance, but who is the man in your avatar?

Harry Andrew Blackmun (November 12, 1908 – March 4, 1999) was an Associate Justice of the Supreme Court of the United States.

Glad you are feeling better . The holidays and winter are hard times for a lot of people .

Glad you're better, Khan, and continue to get even better. You will receive the usual invoice for "internet sympathy.";) Happy New Year!

Khan, I used to live in your part of the country and experienced SAD every winter until summer. St. John's Wort really helped. No prescription needed!

I've read that the very act of seeking help actually helps. My mom got me a "natural light" light, that mimics the sunlight. Seems to help during the long dark winter months in New England.

I believe that pharmaceuticals (please send any free samples to me) work much better in conjunction with talking about problems, so I imagine talking about problems (even without the pharmaceuticals) may be enough to help alleviate them.

I hope your wrist is on its way back to normal, Khan, and the days are already getting longer, even if they are obscured behinds clouds.

Why this injury to my wrist/thumb was so depressing

I do most of my cooking with a 10" cast iron pan.. Mother gave me this pan 15 years ago because she (then age 72) could no longer lift it with one hand.

After diving onto my wrist, I could not lift the pan.

If you cook, you probably understand.

I am healing, but still can't lift the pan with my left hand.

Khan,

As someone who does all the cooking in my household, I understand about the frustration of not being able to use a favorite cooking tool. At least, you are still able to use a keyboard (At least, I presume you don't type with your feet....)

Have you tried an electric skillet? About 10 years ago, I converted from a fry pan, to a good, big cast-aluminum electric skillet with a glass lid, and never looked back. I tend to make a lot of one dish at a time, and freeze the leftovers.

Amethyst

Have you tried an electric skillet? About 10 years ago, I converted from a fry pan, to a good, big cast-aluminum electric skillet with a glass lid, and never looked back.
Amethyst

Amethyst, what is the advantage of an electic skillet over a big iron pan?

BTW, are you and Citrine the only people with gem screen names?

I read one of her posts today and thought of citrine, and wondered why there were not more gem names used. Then I saw this post of yours. They are rich names, with a lomg train of associations.

Ha

I do most of my cooking with a 10" cast iron pan.. Mother gave me this pan 15 years ago because she (then age 72) could no longer lift it with one hand.

After diving onto my wrist, I could not lift the pan.

If you cook, you probably understand.

I am healing, but still can't lift the pan with my left hand.

I do not have a sore wrist, but I don't cook with a cast iron pan any more because of the weight. I just use a cheap aluminum pan with non-stick coating. It isn't as good for cooking, but then who am I cooking for? Just me. It's amazing how much better food tastes to me when my wrist isn't sore from lifting the frying pan. ;)

internet sympathy? You must have taken a vacation from this here board.

Glad to see you are feeling better. Gray skies can get you down. We use to say that is why the Germans fought so many wars. The sun does not shine most of the time!

Khan,

Glad you are feelin' better. I gave up those cast iron pans because they rusted so easily in my humid neck of the woods.

The days are getting longer a bit at a time and before you know it little baby spring squirrels will be scurrying around your lovely yard looking for treats. Keep on keeping on Khan, you are the best!

I do not have a sore wrist, but I don't cook with a cast iron pan any more because of the weight. I just use a cheap aluminum pan with non-stick coating. It isn't as good for cooking, but then who am I cooking for? Just me. It's amazing how much better food tastes to me when my wrist isn't sore from lifting the frying pan. ;)

It just seemed part of the downward spiral of not being able to take care of myself.

Amethyst, what is the advantage of an electic skillet over a big iron pan?

The

Back
Top Bottom