Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Which of the following options best describes your alcoholic beverage drinking habits?
>7 drinks/ week and usually > 2 drinks per occasion 65 26.42%
>7 drinks/ week and usually 2 or fewer drinks per occasion 35 14.23%
7 or fewer drinks/ week and usually > 2 drinks per occasion 16 6.50%
7 or fewer drinks / week and usually 2 or fewer drinks per occasion 87 35.37%
I don't drink alcohol 43 17.48%
Voters: 246. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-20-2010, 09:22 PM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Following is a speech by Noah S. "Soggy" Sweat, Jr., a former judge and lawyer, delivered in the Mississippi House in 1952 when lawmakers were debating legalizing liquor. Sweat was elected to the House in 1947 at the age of 24.

"My friends,

"I had not intended to discuss this controversial subject at this particular time. However, I want you to know that I do not shun controversy. On the contrary, I will take a stand on any issue at any time, regardless of how fraught with controversy it might be. You have asked me how I feel about whiskey. All right, here is how I feel about whiskey.

"If when you say whiskey you mean the devil's brew, the poison scourge, the bloody monster, that defiles innocence, dethrones reason, destroys the home, creates misery and poverty, yea, literally takes the bread from the mouths of little children; if you mean the evil drink that topples the Christian man and woman from the pinnacle of righteous, gracious living into the bottomless pit of degradation, and despair, and shame and helplessness, and hopelessness, then certainly I am against it.

"But;

"If when you say whiskey you mean the oil of conversation, the philosophic wine, the ale that is consumed when good fellows get together, that puts a song in their hearts and laughter on their lips, and the warm glow of contentment in their eyes; if you mean Christmas cheer; if you mean the stimulating drink that puts the spring in the old gentleman's step on a frosty, crispy morning; if you mean the drink which enables a man to magnify his joy, and his happiness, and to forget, if only for a little while, life's great tragedies, and heartaches, and sorrows; if you mean that drink, the sale of which pours into our treasuries untold millions of dollars, which are used to provide tender care for our little crippled children, our blind, our deaf, our dumb, our pitiful aged and infirm; to build highways and hospitals and schools, then certainly I am for it.

"This is my stand. I will not retreat from it. I will not compromise."
- Noah S. Sweat, Jr.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2010, 06:31 AM   #82
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Following is a speech by Noah S. "Soggy" Sweat, Jr., ...
I'd vote for him.

RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 06:45 AM   #83
Give me a forum ...

I propose a toast to that.

By the way, I found the following on a Web site.

Sweat said when he first gave the speech, the crowd sat in silence.

"When I finished the first half of the speech, there was a tremendous burst of applause. The second half of the speech, after the close of which, the wets all applauded. The drys were as unhappy with the second part of the speech as the wets were with the first half," he said.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:34 AM   #84
Recycles dryer sheets

I would need a "greater than 30 beers a week" category. "Only" drink normally 3 days per week (weekends mostly) but usually 12 or more when I do. Especially bad this time of year during football season. Saturday and Sunday's are spent in a local sports bar watching football all day.

Not something I am proud of but never less something I enjoy very much. Zero of these beers are drank at home as I do not even have any alcohol at the house. I really just enjoy the bar scene and like the social aspect as I am single.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:12 AM   #85
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyvue View Post
I would need a "greater than 30 beers a week" category. "Only" drink normally 3 days per week (weekends mostly) but usually 12 or more when I do. Especially bad this time of year during football season. Saturday and Sunday's are spent in a local sports bar watching football all day.

Not something I am proud of but never less something I enjoy very much. Zero of these beers are drank at home as I do not even have any alcohol at the house. I really just enjoy the bar scene and like the social aspect as I am single.
Cheers!
Old 12-21-2010, 08:52 AM   #86
Give me a forum ...

You think alcohol is bad, this is what happened at my last weed party...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 10:15 AM   #87
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I would need a "greater than 30 beers a week" category. "Only" drink normally 3 days per week (weekends mostly) but usually 12 or more
Some would call that "binge drinking" but I don't think there's anything really unhealthy about it, at least while you're young. Of course I assume you only drive while sober.

However, just to be on the safe side, I think you should keep an eye on the liver function numbers whenever you have lab work done for a physical. Some research says your style has less liver risk than daily drinking, but it's still a good idea to watch it.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:20 AM   #88
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
However, just to be on the safe side, I think you should keep an eye on the liver function numbers whenever you have lab work done for a physical. Some research says your style has less liver risk than daily drinking, but it's still a good idea to watch it.
Excellent (and extremely valuable) advice.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:20 AM   #89
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Some would call that "binge drinking" but I don't think there's anything really unhealthy about it, at least while you're young. Of course I assume you only drive while sober.

Yes, I admittedly would call it "binge drinking" myself. The bars in question are within walking distance of my condo.

I too was worried about liver function and therefore take a couple supplements aimed at improving liver health (milk thystle and SAMe). I did have a full physical 2 years ago and the blood tests showed no abnormal results and I was honest with my physician about the drinking. To be honest I was a bit surprised.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:33 AM   #90
Give me a forum ...

Is your name Al Keyholic?

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 08:06 PM   #91
Give me a forum ...

I wonder if this stuff is any good? I'm going to visit some family in AL this weekend and taking dear old mom. I bought a bottle kind of as a joke, but wondered if anyone here ever tried it?

Evan Williams Egg Nog, Pre-Mixed With Kentucky Bourbon
Old 12-23-2010, 08:49 PM   #92
Give me a forum ...

Dunno, but I squinted at the label and thought it said 15% alcohol. It cannot be that bad then.

On the Web, several posters say to drink it cold.
Old 12-23-2010, 09:19 PM   #93
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Dunno, but I squinted at the label and thought it said 15% alcohol. It cannot be that bad then.

On the Web, several posters say to drink it cold.
Got it in the frig and the directions recommended chilled.
Old 12-23-2010, 09:37 PM   #94
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This was a hard one to answer for me. Either choose the last box (I don't drink alcohol) or the next one up (fewer than 7 a week and 2 or less per occasion).

Bad allergy to alcohol, so I can drink one (1) once in a great while without making love to the old porcelain bowl.... But I will drink a beer or a Bloody Mary every great once in awhile and be okay. Yeah, I know...big sissy.

Guess I'm pretty much a non-drinker by most folks standards.
Old 12-23-2010, 10:02 PM   #95
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime View Post
Beer is #1 for me. Homebrew followed by microbrews.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTravlin View Post
I got into home brewing about 20 years ago for awhile. Bought a starter kit from a local store, brewed up my first batch with the supplied ingredients and absolutely loved it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Same here. I started brewing my own in June, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
I intend to get into home brewing when I retire. I have tried a (Mr. Beer.) I hope to do a bit better.
Quote:
The best beginner reference I know of is howtobrew.com and I recommend all the information you find there. John is a friend, and I know his advice can be trusted.
Wow, lots of homebrewers within a few posts. We could start a thread, but there are already good forums on the subject. I visit:

The Northern Brewer Homebrew Forum • Index page (also a good internet supply house)

and

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

I'll second braumeister's recc of the John Palmer book - but go ahead and buy it, the online version has a few sections that are out of date, and John does seem like a nice guy, dedicated to the hobby, so throw a few bucks his way.

w/o getting into it too much, I'll just say that you need good ingredients (if using extract, get dry or liquid only if you can assure it is fresh). Pay attention to sanitation (IMO, no-rinse Star-san is the easiest, cheap and reliable), pitch enough yeast, and keep your fermentation temperatures in control. Far too many people ferment way too warm, and this causes all sorts of off flavors (unless you want those flavors in some styles). I ferment my ales in the low 60's, and have started them off as low as 55F and that helps to keep them 'clean' tasting. For most ales, you can skip the 'secondary', and just bottle/keg from the primary, which saves some work and risk of contamination or oxidation.

And it doesn't cost much to get started if you want to keep equipment costs down (some people like to buy gadgets, I'm past that phase). I'm doing all-grain batches now in the kitchen, using two 5 Gallon tamale/canning pots (cheap, and you might find them used) for the boil, I mash in a couple 5 gallon buckets (free from bakeries) with paint strainer bags ( cheap at Home Depot), and 'dunk sparge' into the brew pots. After the boil, I follow the Australian 'no-chill' method, and transfer into a plastic bucket fermentor and let it cool overnight on the porch. So no need for chilling equipment. Bottle about 4 weeks later, and start drinking when it's matured (a couple weeks, maybe longer for more complex/stronger beers).

Enjoy!

-ERD50
Old 12-23-2010, 11:37 PM   #96
Give me a forum ...

I'm somewhere in option 1, although sometimes I go for months without a drink. Just dpends on the mood. See my sig line for more details.
Old 12-24-2010, 01:48 AM   #97

Quote:
Yes, I admittedly would call it "binge drinking" myself. The bars in question are within walking distance of my condo.

I too was worried about liver function and therefore take a couple supplements aimed at improving liver health (milk thystle and SAMe). I did have a full physical 2 years ago and the blood tests showed no abnormal results and I was honest with my physician about the drinking. To be honest I was a bit surprised.
Just to be on the safe side, you might look up some psych type "tests" (of the multiple choice variety - e.g., "Have you ever...?") on the net to see if your particular pattern(s) of consumption are placing you at risk. (Alternately, you could ask your Doc for similar info but then it might be "documented" in your records. Not necessarily a good thing when getting insurance.)

The liver function tests will show damage (only after the damage is done) while the "psych" type tests could give you an early warning if you happen to need one.

I got what I'll call an early wake-up call 30 years ago and quit. Based on family member's history, it seemed like a good idea at the time and still does. I'm sure I missed some fun by my decision, but then again, I may have missed out on some real health issues as well as heart ache. A fair trade in my book.

As always, YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 04:14 PM   #98
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I hear no denial going on here.

If you average the number of ounces of beer over the number of hours watching sports, you may find you are relatively in the safety zone. Add some pizza and wings and your absorption is slowed right down.
As long as you leave the car keys in your pocket and call a cab after one such day, who cares? As long as it is not hard liquor (more alcohol concentration per fluid ounce), your body will process the small amount of alcohol in a reasonable manner.
Have fun and stay away from the steering wheel.
Old 12-26-2010, 04:57 PM   #99

I think driving the next morning with a huge hangover, tired brain, and oceans of bright, bright sunlight to navigate through can be quite risky as well. ( Not intended as a criticism of anyone. I've experienced the hangover driving myself, and found it challenging.)
Old 12-28-2010, 08:32 AM   #100
Give me a forum ...

And those Freakonomics guys ask this important question:

Do We Drink Because We’re Monogamous, or Are We Monogamous Because We Drink?

From the cited (by them) article:
Quote:
The inspiration came from a casual observation (over a glass of wine) that the two social/religious groups that do allow polygamy ((parts of) Mormonism and Islam) also do not consume alcohol. So we wondered whether this was a coincidence or not. We collected information on the historical evolution of both (mono/polygamy and alcohol use) and on cross-cultural/country evidence. We found that there is a positive correlation between alcohol consumption and monogamy both over time and across (pre-industrial) societies
A single glass?