Votes: 15 11.0%
  • Bicycling

Votes: 37 27.2%
  • 12 oz curls is my limit!

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • None, exercise is for others to do!

Votes: 6 4.4%

• Total voters
I do not have the discipline to join and go to a gym, so I exercise at home to music (dance-ercise with barbells for aerobic plus very basic ballet moves for leg and buttock toning as well as upper body mobility) OR
watch cartoons (mini-stepper, fitness ball, and resistance band).

I enjoy dancing more, so that happens at least once a day, if not more. I haven't returned to the stepper/ball/band yet. My upper body and one knee is bothering me lately, so I have to go easy.

I do a lot of around-the-house light duty exercise instead of being a couch potato. Always moving...:dance:

I wish I could play racquet sports, but I have to give that up years ago when I went through a very serious bout of RSI from too much computer w*rk. I can do some things involving the wrists and upper body, but I have to be very careful not to put myself back in the repetitive injury zone.

I was an ace at racquetball back in the day. Sigh...

I run 3-5 times per week for a total of 15-20 miles. I cycle (outside when the weather allows, spin class this time of year) once a week. Yoga 2-3 times per week. I used to run more, but my commute time increased from 30 minutes a day to ~2 hours a day when my workplace relocated a year ago. Something had to give.

When I ER later this year I plan to do more running and add some strength training. I hope to get more miles on my bike just using the bike to run errands and to go to the gym. I'm also trying to convince DH to take swimming lessons with me. I think it would be good for his arthritic hip/allow him aerobic exercise without pain (and if I can learn to swim properly I can try a triathlon).

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

- shovel snow
- split logs
- shovel more snow
- push cars out of snow
- shovel even more snow
- split a few more logs
- shovel more snow
- salvage a few dead trees
- shovel more f..ing snow
- split more f..ing logs

Enjoy the gym

Thanks for the answers, I figured there was a pretty high amount of activity. From my time here I know many do have some regular exercise planned in their day. It is nice to see and read the variety. I am impressed with the total miles or time many of you put in.

As for the poll being not all the possible activities, I had to set some limits and cutoff values. Plus I don't have all the answers doing it initially reasonable guess. Of course it is not scientific, and I allowed multiple answers so it does not total 100% as I anticipate many do different exercise activities each week. It is just for fun, lighten up to those taking it too seriously. Maybe those doing the complaining need to exercise more :LOL: :D

Maybe I should modify the poll to allow:
11) Jumping to conclusions
12) Flying off the handle
13) Arguing on the internet
14) .........

I love working out and desire to spend more time doing so was one of my reasons for ER. I attend the gym ~5 times/week (Less in the summer when I can run/bike outdoors). In addition to weightlifting and cardio, I have taken up yoga and spinning classes in retirement.

Didn't respond to the poll. Sit-ups and lifting weights at home 5-6 days a week.

Good for you! To be able to do these kinds of things, when necessary, is among the reasons Mr. A and I hit the gym. If we didn't stay in shape, we could end up helpless.

Many (if not most) people assume that someone who works out and stays in shape, does so for vanity. We do it for independence.

Amethyst

- shovel snow
- split logs
- shovel more snow
- push cars out of snow
- shovel even more snow
- split a few more logs
- shovel more snow
- split more f..ing logs

Enjoy the gym

When the weather is OK DW and I ride bikes regularly - generally 20-30 mile rides several times a week. I also go to a gym for weights twice a week following the guidelines for brief, high intensity exercises laid out in Body by Science. (The book actually recommends once a week but I know I don't push as hard as really required so I go twice.) When the weather gets bad like now I try to get a couple of days in on an exercise bike at the gym. Since that it not fun I go for 30 minutes of intermittent all out sprints to try to get the maximum benefit with the least investment in time.

I walk every day, my goal is 17,5 miles or just over 300 minutes per week or about 45 minutes a day. I do it on a treadmill, don't have to worry about weather and try to walk 30 minutes each morning and 15 minutes every late afternoon. I probably burn 250, 300 calories per day.....helps me keep the extra weight off.

... and the world before the breakout of war, and also afterward. Huge changes. Essentially, we came out of WW1 and were thrown into the modern world.

This Week in World War I, January 3-9, 1915 | Joseph V. Micallef

For sure.

Women, for the first time, joined the industrial labor force in unprecedented numbers. Their role was to replace the men fighting on the front lines, and to maintain the production of the stream of war materials needed by the troops. Having done their part to win the war, the women's suffrage movement would take on a new strength and purpose that would ultimately result in the granting of women's suffrage in most of the developed world.

Great Britain and France would draw heavily on their colonial subjects for manpower during the war. French colonial regiments fought at Verdun, and in every major French engagement on the Western Front. Empire troops, and especially the Indian Army, saw service from the trenches of Flanders to the deserts of Persia and Mesopotamia. Having watched their comrades die in defense of European liberty, those colonial soldiers would invariably pose the question, "what of our own liberty?" A question made all the more pressing when Woodrow Wilson would declare, in his Fourteen Points, "a people's right to self-determination."

I swim three times a week for 45 Minutes to an hour . I also use arm weights several times a week.

This site is full of well to do folks who are healthy. It should have its own dating site and charge premium. :D

Weight training 4-5 days a week, and cardio 6-7 days.
I think exercise has to be reasonably accessible, and either fun or at least capable of being buried in other enjoyable activities.

Sometimes I shoot for one, sometimes the other. In winter I depend mostly on rowing my Concept2. In and of itself it is only moderately interesting, but I am able to listen to very interesting podcasts while I row. Right now I am listening to series on WW 1 and the world before the breakout of war, and also afterward. Huge changes. Essentially, we came out of WW1 and were thrown into the modern world.
Sounds like Dan Carlin's Hardcore History.

My headphones are a permanent part of my training. My cardio is low-intensity steady-state, so I usually listen to podcasts because it takes my mind off it a bit and helps me keep the intensity down. But when I lift weights I need something hard to keep the intensity up. Usually old-school rap or industrial metal. I find that it helps me focus on my form and the intensity much better without focusing on what I'm listening to.

I think the way to get the most out of training is to workout with other people. I have a regular training partner and we've been together for over 2 years now. We also occasionally train with small groups of other people. It keeps it interesting, helps with motivation, and you're always being challenged with new ideas and exercises.

Whaat? Everyone's a cheapskate and lots of them are curmudgeons. Who wants to date that? :nonono:

This site is full of well to do folks who are healthy. It should have its own dating site and charge premium. :D

Water exercise 5 mornings a week and some walking. One to three hours of gardening per day in spring, summer, and fall.

Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Whaat? Everyone's a cheapskate and lots of them are curmudgeons. Who wants to date that?

------------------------------------------------------

You say that like it's a bad thing!

It must be, or at least it's considered suspicious behavior. I've noticed guys with drinking problems, criminal tendencies, and no money, who like to slap women around seem to have no problem hooking up.

I run 40 to 50 miles per week (over 2000 miles for 2014) and try to do high intensity interval training (like PiYo) 4 to 5 days per week. I've developed a Morton's neuroma, so my mileage will likely suffer in 2015. I bought an Elliptigo in the unfortunate case that my running career is severely hampered or over (sigh).

Naturally not everyone on the board is a curmudgeon, plus I'm sure relatively few of us are hooker-uppers and slapper-arounders! :LOL:;)

It must be, or at least it's considered suspicious behavior. I've noticed guys with drinking problems, criminal tendencies, and no money, who like to slap women around seem to have no problem hooking up.

Hmmm - celebrated our 1st wedding anniversary 3 months ago- we both exercised when we met and dated for a year.

Now 18 lbs and 3 inches more waist and the wife ain't talking but we are both getting back to diet, exercise, and walking. Haphazardly and slowly but we both know we must return to some form of yesteryear.

:D :greetings10:

heh heh heh - :cool:

I've got my wife-beater undershirt. Maybe that will get me some action?

Ha

We go to to the gym every other day unless something prevents it, then go the next day, so it is 3 or 4 times a week. We started a bit over a year ago partly inspired by reading Younger Next Year and partly because I could feel the atrophy setting in big time and wanted to reverse that. DW had started twice but was sidetracked by dealing with FIL issues at the time.

No big changes in weight, in fact for the first time in my life I'm having a hard time keeping weight off. But the weights I'm lifting have more than doubled in the last year although I seriously doubt I'll be able to do that this year. One does get to diminishing returns on effort expended and there is an upper limit somewhere.

But I feel much better and of course my doctor is enthused about me staying with the exercise.

- shovel snow
- split logs
- shovel more snow
- push cars out of snow
- shovel even more snow
- split a few more logs
- shovel more snow
- split more f..ing logs

Ha..........I swear, you are living my life! I do all that stuff too (plus tending a vegetable garden, mowing a big lawn with a hand mower, etc), but I usually add in some short daily workouts also. I do chin-ups in the morning when I get up (got one of those chin up bars that you put in a doorway). Later in the day, I try do some squats, at least on most days. Every day I take my dog (a yellow lab) out for at least 2 long walk/jogs (up and down the hills around our house). On those, I try to sprint full out for a minute or so, to get my heart rate up to the desired level. Everything I read indicates that it's very beneficial to get the heart rate up to 80% for even a minute or two a day if possible, and sprints are the best way for me to do it.

Back
Top Bottom