• Store brand - CVS, Walmart, etc

Votes: 20 15.7%
  • A combination of various brands

Votes: 20 15.7%
  • Other

Votes: 21 16.5%

• Total voters
funny subject:LOL:

Never paid any attention to brands... crochet thread would probably be the cheapest, I guess...
Now, a step further... have always tied a double knot in the center of the thread, to pull through the wider spaces at the gum line.
A bit off topic, but food for thought... after years of spending today's equivalent of $70 for cleaning, found a good set of dental tools for scraping/picking, and did my own cleaning. In the beginning, used a mirror, but now can do most of it by feel. Yeah... am that cheap! And, haircuts too... total cost over 58 years... four Wahl clippers. Hmmm... @ $15/cut (including travel cost and tip) once a month... = 12X15X58 or $10,440.

Frugal? Uh huh!... Now... colonoscopies.... Lessee... one every 3 years @ $1700 = .............. ;)

Where did you get the dental tools?

You know, I always hated flossing until they came out with the "floss picks", the little handles with the floss built right in. Wife got me started on these as she is a big believer in flossing. I've tried a number of them and found the best is Plackers-Micro Mint from Wal Mart. I just looked and there are 150 in a pack for about $3. If I had to use the string floss I probably wouldn't floss at all. Watching TV at night I'll pick one up and go to work.

+1
My mom got my sister and I flossing as kids. I've gotten hooked on the floss picks over the last 2 years.

Walmart Equate waxed. I think it's $.88.

I used to think flossing was gross, it made me gag and was an extra thing to do in the morning. Then I had some bleeding during a dental cleaning and got referred to a periodontist and saw the light!

I made myself get past the gagging and gross factor and I am now a devoted flosser. I also treated myself to a Sonicare toothbrush (found a bargain on Amazon or eBay) and between the flossing and the Sonicare my teeth and gums are stunning. My dental cleanings are quick and easy.

The Sonicare brushes are expensive but Amazon has them for a good price if you get a subscription. I extended the subscription time because I didn't need another shipment so there was no extra cost.

I had my best check-ups combining floss with a Sonicare but I had to switch to an Oral B because the Sonicare kepts vibrating off my crowns. Dentists thought I was crazy when I asked them if they had other patients who used a Sonicare and had crowns coming off. All I know is that the issues with crowns falling off ended when I stopped using my Sonicare. I miss it but it was too expensive to use it!

You know, I always hated flossing until they came out with the "floss picks", the little handles with the floss built right in. Wife got me started on these as she is a big believer in flossing. I've tried a number of them and found the best is Plackers-Micro Mint from Wal Mart. I just looked and there are 150 in a pack for about $3. If I had to use the string floss I probably wouldn't floss at all. Watching TV at night I'll pick one up and go to work.

For me, I have the opposite situation. I started flossing with the regular string floss. A couple of checkups ago, the dental assistant said the teeth at the far back weren't flossed enough and recommended the the Reach ones that look like a tootbrush but with a floss head that snaps on/off instead of brush.

I tried using one of those for a few weeks. But at my next visit, I told the assistant I tried, but the Reach flosser would get stuck all the time (true, I wasn't fibbing). She just said "OK..no problem." Which makes we wonder if that's a common occurance.

Walmart Equate waxed. I think it's $.88.

I used to think flossing was gross, it made me gag and was an extra thing to do in the morning. Then I had some bleeding during a dental cleaning and got referred to a periodontist and saw the light!

I made myself get past the gagging and gross factor and I am now a devoted flosser. I also treated myself to a Sonicare toothbrush (found a bargain on Amazon or eBay) and between the flossing and the Sonicare my teeth and gums are stunning. My dental cleanings are quick and easy.

The Sonicare brushes are expensive but Amazon has them for a good price if you get a subscription. I extended the subscription time because I didn't need another shipment so there was no extra cost.

I know what you feel about the inital gross factor when starting to floss. But after a few tries, when the gums feel better, breath is better..that's when I became a convert. I think that's the moment of truth for many. Either they think, yeah, flossing isn't so bad, or that it's gross and for the birds.

I voted "other". My dentist is incredibly cool, really really wants me to floss regularly, and has figured out what a cheapskate I am. Plus, he likes me because I was his first patient after dental school. So, he gives me a shopping bag full of free dental floss samples every time I see him. He tries to give me "the good stuff" out of whatever samples he has, and while they differ from time to time I like whatever brands he has given me. I haven't had to pay for dental floss in over a dozen years.

:dance:

This is not directed at you, but I would guess that spending the $3 per year or so on decent floss would likely have a huge return on investment considering the alternative of costly dental/periodontal treatments. :D

This is not directed at you, but I would guess that spending the $3 per year or so on decent floss would likely have a huge return on investment considering the alternative of costly dental/periodontal treatments. :D

So, you are saying that there is something wrong with the dental floss my dentist gives me and that I have used regularly for the past dozen or more years? Why is that?

He gives me free toothpaste, too, but not as much because I raved about his floss and how great it is. He does come up with some terrific free samples.

By all means, if refusing free samples somehow makes anyone feel more responsible, they should go ahead and buy floss.

Last edited:
I know, kind of a personal question. :LOL:

Here's my history and situation. I started flossing many years ago. The first brand I used was Johnson & Johnson. Then when off to college on a college budget, I just got the cheapest one by the yard.

Fast forward to the present. I was still getting the cheapest by the yard, but my dental implant could change everything :(. The gap between my implant and surrounding teeth are a bit tight, so for that area I'm leaning towards Oral-B Satin (which my dentist gives out after each cleaning) or Crest Glide (I believe actually made by Oral -B).

DH and I find that Butler (G.U.M) Fine Unwaxed Floss works well between tight teeth and dental work. We had the dentist and hygienist LingOL when we told them we bought 4800 yards online for $.012/yard! :biggrin:

DH and I find that Butler (G.U.M) Fine Unwaxed Floss works well between tight teeth and dental work. We had the dentist and hygienist LingOL when we told them we bought 4800 yards online for $.012/yard! :biggrin:

I see you just couldn't pass up a good bargain :D.

I went ahead and bought 5 more packets (54.7 yds each pack) of the CVS one that I like. If I calculated correctly, it's about $.045/yard. Not bad for the good stuff :).

Link please Ms G uses like 5 yds a day.:D

So, you are saying that there is something wrong with the dental floss my dentist gives me and that I have used regularly for the past dozen or more years? Why is that?

He gives me free toothpaste, too, but not as much because I raved about his floss and how great it is. He does come up with some terrific free samples.

By all means, if refusing free samples somehow makes anyone feel more responsible, they should go ahead and buy floss.

No, no not at all! :flowers:

The comment wasn't directed at you or your choice to use free floss. I meant (assuming your didn't have an endless supply of free floss), it would be penny wise but pound foolish to refrain from flossing in order to save the $3 a year that floss costs. Given that an annual course of periodontal maintenance runs in the hundreds of dollars! Although DW flosses, she is undergoing this treatment now and lack of flossing is something that can lead to gum issues.

By all means, getting good free floss and using it is not being a cheapskate. We always use the free toothbrushes, toothpaste, floss, and mouthwash the dentist provides.

On a different note, we have found that the cheapo AIM brand toothpaste ($0.85 for a 6 oz tube at walmart) seems to do a better job than the Crest Pro Health stuff that is 3-4x as expensive. Something about the Pro Health seems to be overly abrasive on our teeth, leaving them overly sensitive (and leads to buying Sensodyne to deal with sensitivity). So we use the cheap stuff now. Teeth still feel as clean, and I seem to have less tooth decay now (anecdotally speaking of course).

Ok...now you got me thinking....

If the average person flosses once a day and uses 2 ft of floss each time, theneach year that'll be:

2 ft x 365 days = 730 ft

or 730 ft / 3 = 243.33 yards

Now, what's left is to calcuate how many packs of floss to purchase depending on how many years I want to stock up on :LOL:.

Ms G also uses 1/2 roll of TP, but that's another post gone wild.

I use the store brand of the Glide, ribbon type stuff. I've come to like the one use flossers with the ribbon type thread.

A song for every occasion! Who wouldda thunk songwriters leave no stone unturned in looking for topics? I am floored.

45 posts (plus this one) on "which dental floss we use"??!

Do we all have a bit too much free time?! :LOL:

LOL! DH says I am like that with tp. :blush:

We bought the floss a couple years ago at the link below. We paid in USD. They've definitely raised the minimum order needed for free shipping since then.

Search | Feelbest

Did not see your post below until after I already posted this one. LOL!

“Ms G also uses 1/2 roll of TP, but that's another post gone wild.”

Last edited:
Hmmm, now I might have to try a new floss when our supply of Oral B Ultra runs out

http://www.gumbrand.com/dental-floss/

Had no idea that GUM had so many kinds of floss - our stores here stock only one or two if any.

I think I solved the problem by 3 cleanings a year.:D
Ditto...I schedule 4 cleanings a year, and usually only make 3 of them. I had periodontal issues back in the 80s and need more frequent cleanings as part of a preventive maintenance approach. Along with Xrays and the occasional filling replacement or cracked tooth rebuild, I definitely get my money's worth out of my Delta Dental insurance premiums. :D
The tendinitis in my hands makes it difficult for me to grasp and maneuver floss. So I keep a supply of thin wooden toothpicks in my purse. I clean my teeth completely after any food is eaten, between the teeth and very gently along the gumline.
I follow up with a flossing every week with the pre-strung floss thingies with the handle. I use Crest Complete Health rinse at least 3x a day.
My dental hygienist tells me that my routine is w*rking out along with the frequent cleanings.
:dance:

Just had my biannual cleaning last week. The hygienist said that all dental flosses are pretty much the same. And the dentist said that I had the best looking gums he's seen all year. :)(((blushing)))

Back
Top Bottom