Vexing Dental Health Questions

FWIW, I grew up on a rural farm with well water - no fluoride.

Well water can be high in fluoride. I had one home that had slightly high fluoride levels. My wife was pregnant and when I reported this to the OB/GYN she stopped fluoride supplements.
I don't believe fluoride supplements are giving in pregnancy any longer as it has been found to cause problems.

Just want to add a story of problematic dental procedures. My son who had no cavities went off to college, got a dentist there and on the first visit was told he had three cavities. I told him don't do anything, when you come home you can see our regular dentist for a second opinion. He had the x-rays sent to our dentist, and had the appointment, our regular dentist saw no cavities and suggested, there is a lot of extra work done to help pay off student loans. It is now 9 years later and still no problem with those teeth.
I'm afraid that dentist gets lots of college student for 4 years and takes advantage of them.
Such a shame to drill a hole in a good tooth when a kid is 18 and has 60 years to go. I'm still mad about it.

Add me to one who was given the deep cleaning scam. Went in Janurary 2021 for a cleaning and the dentist and hygienist said everything looked fine. Went back in August for a scheduled cleaning and the office had a new staff, dentist and hygienist and front desk.

They started probing and measuring pocket depths and then refused to clean my teeth saying that I needed a deep cleaning. I mentioned that everything had been fine at my last visit and they just blew it off and did some hand waving saying the other staff must not have been doing their jobs (which I now know is to sc**** the patients). I got the deep cleaning but I have never gotten over the bad taste in my mouth (pun intended) from it. For all I know, they could have made those pocket depths up.

In my opinion, the whole profession is rotten and those dentists who don't scam their patients but don't speak up and try to clean up the profession are just as guilty.

How about the ‘ole bill you for two visits when what the patient asked for could have been done in one visit trick? We suffered through this once, unfortunately. First (billable) visit was a “new patient exam”, followed in a second (billable) visit for a basic cleaning.

We have since found a dentist that doesn’t steal like this from patients and insurance plans.

Seems like with all the power, influence and wealth held by the insurance industry - that they would be demanding a crackdown on unnecessary procedures - that they also pay for, right?

I mean, they've been known to do this for medical care?

Seems like with all the power, influence and wealth held by the insurance industry - that they would be demanding a crackdown on unnecessary procedures - that they also pay for, right?

I mean, they've been known to do this for medical care?
I think relatively low annual limits and high copays are the insurance companies' methods for starving the beast. Make the cost of the work painful enough for the insureds that they become cost conscious.

I think relatively low annual limits and high copays are the insurance companies' methods for starving the beast. Make the cost of the work painful enough for the insureds that they become cost conscious.

@OldShooter have you or anyone in your circle (family, close friends) had current or past employment in healthcare?

@OldShooter have you or anyone in your circle (family, close friends) had current or past employment in healthcare?
Do you play a lawyer on TV or did you just pick that tone up on your own?

Do you play a lawyer on TV or did you just pick that tone up on your own?

I am neither lawyer nor TV star (yet).

Are you willing to answer the question regarding whether or not you or someone close to you has or had employment in healthcare?

I am neither lawyer nor TV star (yet).

Are you willing to answer the question regarding whether or not you or someone close to you has or had employment in healthcare?
I don't play games. What is your point?

We have a dentist in the family, and Dr. Mont has commented about the profession:
1. Out of a large dental school class, Mont was one of two dentists that didn't have large student loans hanging over his head. Most owe a few hundred thousand dollars on student loans and the monthly payments are a burden.
2. Dentists then have to borrow big, big money to purchase equipment for a 3 room office. And they also have to invest in expensive computers, software and electronic x-ray equipment.
3. With their first office, dentists must borrow more capital for salaries, rent, etc.
4. Beginning dentists can do a filling, but they were never taught how to manage a dental practice. Business can be pretty slow for a couple of years if they cannot figure out how to market themselves.
5. In the medical world, dentists and pathologists have very high suicide rates. They're often not happy in their jobs.

Mont ended up taking a seminar that taught him how to properly run a dental practice. He ended up having the largest dental practice (in sales) in a metro area of 1 million people. And he worked 30 years and took early retirement at 55 years old. He got bored and joined the National Guard at age 59 and ended up going to Iraq and later Afghanistan until he retired at age 70.

Many dentists that are going to retire will get a young dentist to come to work in their practice. If they work out, the dentist will often sell the assets of the practice to the "new guy" and finance the deal out of his pocket for a number of years. It's good business for the retiring dentist, the young dentist, the practice employees and also patients because they don't have to charge as much as someone with a completely new facility, equipment and capital loans to pay.

Why do tooth abscesses happen only on Friday afternoon--when there's not a dentist office in town that's open. There's no worse pain--other than kidney stones.

Last edited:
Many dentists that are going to retire will get a young dentist to come to work in their practice. If they work out, the dentist will often sell the assets of the practice to the "new guy" and finance the deal out of his pocket for a number of years. It's good business for the retiring dentist, the young dentist, the practice employees and also patients because they don't have to charge as much as someone with a completely new facility, equipment and capital loans to pay.
My first dentist in this area (late 80s) retired due to disability early 50s. Back problems. Sold to a young dentist, my age. We stayed and liked her. She retired early around age 50, because she could. We nearly retired together. :) So now we have another new young dentist. We like him.

So, this happens. Our new guy has the new gizmos, but so far after a few years, he does not over-sell. I hope this continues. He's good.

I guess once you have a really great dentist (who then has the audacity to retire, lol) - you tend to compare all dentists by him/her thereafter.

When I moved to the D.C. area, I was fortunate to become a patient of Dr. Dan Watt, founder of the International Dental Health Alliance (IDHA). He was a dentist and a researcher. The office was himself, a hygienist with whom he collaborated on research and the receptionist. Their research was published, but I cannot find it now online.
He was very smart, friendly, caring and conservative in his approach. He was all about prevention of any kind of dental problem, if possible.

After being his patient for several years, i suppose I was never prepared for the advent of the slick dental business, but I am still learning lol.

As a pet owner I have made the observation: "Dentists and veterinarians are either very good or they are very bad."

Interestingly, both professions have high suicide rates.

Back
Top Bottom