Pre-existing conditions and underwriting

In Colorado, it's a 2 yr. period for mis-statements, but unlimited for blatant fraudulent failure to disclose. The laws on that limit vary from state to state.

Did you send them the medical records showing that it tested normally later on?

They had access to all of my medical records, thats how they found the original test information. I let them know it was just a bad test, they didnt care.

Whats really sweet is that they told me on the phone that they had accepted me, then sent me a letter 2 weeks later declining me. In the interim I canceled my old insurance. Fortunately the old carrier gave me a 30 day "uncancel" period.

what people who advocate universal care want is full coverage for pre-existing conditions, little or no out of pocket responsibility, and someone else to pay for it all.

We already have that. You just walk into an emergency room, get treated and dont pay the bills. And the good news is that its completely unadulterated by preventative care!

In between that, we have insurers and health care providers wasting billions of dollars a year trying hard to extract money out of each other.

And we and our employers are all paying for the indigent care and overhead out of our pockets.

It just seems reasonable to believe that we could offer complete reasonable health care to everyone at the same, or even a lower cost. Of course bureaucracy doesnt work that way.

But this is neither sustainable nor good.

And hey look! SG is annoyed again!

The metric used to measure the performance of a healthcare system should measure the efficiency and effectiveness of that system and keeping people healthy.

MKLD seems to believe that the metric we need to apply is related to the profitability of the insurance system. In other words, MKLD wants to preserve insurance profitability first and then live with the inefficiencies and ineffectiveness of the actual healthcare that the insurance profitability requires.

Sorry, MKLD, you're not going to make that sale here. :)

CFB, I'm amused, not annoyed. :D

They had access to all of my medical records, thats how they found the original test information. I let them know it was just a bad test, they didnt care.

That's not necessarily true. Abnormal test results may be reported through the MIB, while normal test results may not. I hate to say this, but if you had had the patience to appeal the decision with medical records, it probably could have been done. A copy of the normal test result from the doc and a quick fax to the underwriter would have been all that would have been needed to fix the problem.

Trust me. ALL of my medical records were sent to them. And I told them the test was a bogus one. It didnt matter.

Fortunately it was just me trying to save a few bucks and my original more expensive insurer kept me.

hmmm....as a broker, I would have taken that to someone higher up. I once had a client who had been misdiagnosed with skin cancer (on purpose, to get the insurance company to pay for the removal of the skin lesion on her nose), and it took several months to get her through underwriting because of the error, but at no cost to her, we got the Dr. to correct the records, write a letter to the insurance carrier and we got her covered. Sometimes, it just takes extra effort. I'm not one to give up easily.

Look at it from their perspective...lots of potential customers, and the only ones they want are perfectly healthy ones who never get sick or injured.
And they have customers who would only buy their product when they were already sick, unless they excluded preexisting conditions.

... BUT, when people buy individual health insurance, they want the insurance company to pay for illnesses they had BEFORE they bought it? ...

I don't want to buy insurance AFTER I get sick, I just want the cost of the insurance to be in line with the fact that they exclude pre-existing conditions. Essentially, if there are pre-existing conditions that have been excluded, I'm getting less insurance, so I should pay less, not more.

Whoa!

Fatness and zits will prevent you from regular med insurance:confused:?:confused:

While neither fat or pimpled, I shudder to think how much I'd have to pay one of these policies. The VA rules!! - all my service connected (read: pre-existing) conditions are covered there - and NO ONE hassles me the way it sounds like you guys have to fight with the insurance companies. Yet another reason to continue being a state troll - for the medical bennies.

Insurance companies are simply out to make a buck (or several cool mil!) :rant:

So basically, the ins. companies are saying you should have just died from your pre-exisiting conditions:confused:? That way they won't have to even entertain your request!

"Fatness" often leads to diabetes and other weight related problems including joint difficulties.

And acne may have been previously excessively treated with accutane, which can lead to some serious liver problems later in life.

Its all a bit complicated, but the goal is to minimize the risk of insuring someone while maximizing the profit.

Back
Top Bottom