Sleep

At my house we have a saying..."Sleep is Precious". My Husband can't sleep well and is currently in a pattern of getting to bed around 5am and getting up in the mid afternoon. I go to bed around 1am and get up at 8AM to start my stock trading day.

Over the years I have been in many sleep patterns.

Many years ago I had trouble sleeping and was put on Zoloft for a while. I slept really well while I took it.

After a time I would have trouble getting to sleep so I would get up and read on the internet till I got sleepy.

Even later I found that I had to brush my teeth 30 minutes to an hour before I went to bed or I was wide awake even though I had been dozing off in front of the TV just minutes before.

Forget having sex, that was guaranteed to keep me up for hours. Apparently the Mars Venus opposite thing applies to sex also, puts males to sleep and wakes up women.

I have found now that I fall asleep easily when I get in the same position every night. If I vary my position I can't fall asleep. I don't drink much before bedtime unless I want to wake up early...I call water I drink at night "Liquid alarm". Now we have a nightly ritual where we watch recorded TV shows for about 3 hours before I go to bed. The shows are NCIS, CSI, CSI Miami. CSI New YORK, Cold Case, and Without A Trace. I am beginning to think an overload of murder and death initiate sleep!

Outside of regular exercise the best method I've found for falling asleep, and staying asleep, is a large cup of Sleepytime Tea about 60-90 minutes before bed. I also limit my coffee to decaf and rarely after mid-afternoon. And no more than 1 1/2 glasses of wine at supper. Works well for me I'm happy to say. Contrary to some I've not at all found that I need less sleep as I get older. I'm not sure if that's good or bad. Perhaps this will change when I finally retire. Could be that there will be much more reason to hop out of bed in the morning!

I use talk radio to fall asleep - big sports fan here - so I either put the radio on sleep mode - and fall asleep listening to the latest in sportstalk. If I wake up @ 2 a.m. - on goes the radio and I usually fall asleep again within a few minutes.

Used to take diphenhydramine (benadryl) before retirement - but found that I'd need more (25 to 50 mg) - and gained a tolerance. Causes a hangover effect, too - but the sleep was very good.

Stay away from ambien. I believe that's what Tiger Woods and Urban Meyer may have been taking when they ran into their problems recently.

No longer having worries related to w*rk where problems stir in my mind at night seems to be the biggest reason that I'm able to sleep through most nights now (never could do that while w*rking).

Execising every other day helps, too.

I just watched a program on PBS called, Excuses Be Gone, by Dr. Wayne Dyer. I really enjoyed this program. He stated that a lot of people think about the day's problems or the next day's problems during the last 5 minutes before they fall asleep. He stated that the subconcious mind takes over and thinks that you want to deal with the problems during the 8 hours while you are asleep. This causes restless sleep and waking up in the early am hours. His solution was the final 5 minutes before falling asleep to tell yourself, You are a joyful person, You have a happy life and other good talk. Thinking back over the years, I have always said my prayers and thanked God for all the many blessings that he has given to me. Every night I try to list several different blessings that I have not listed before. I think that doing this has focused my mind on all the good things that I have been given and enjoyed. There were times when I was stressed at work and would drift off to sleep thinking about the cases that I had to get done the next day or arguments that I had with my then teenage daughter and I would not sleep well or would keep waking up all night. My suggestion would be to try to focus on all of your blessings and what a good person that you are right up until you fall asleep. If any negative thoughts would start up, I would nip them in the bud very quickly and go back to the happy thoughts. It would be worth a try. I hope that you find help in one of the solutions listed in this thread.

Re-read some of my old posts, they will put you to sleep quickly. No guarantee on nightmares, though...:D

I want to update on my sleep experience since posting this thread.

I am sleeping much better, usually 8-9 hours per night. I made a lot of changes, so I am not sure which ones were important, and which incidental. I almost completely cut caffeine from my diet. Also cut all soda, except seltzer. Don't go to bed full, but also not hungry.

I try very hard to get to bed by midnight, and this seems to matter a lot. I never did stay up late at home, but I used to go out and it is hard to get home early. I am trying to find more afternnoon attractions as I really did not like being on short sleep.

Cut down on drinking- maybe one wine or drink per day.

Always get my exercise, and do it before 7 PM.

Try to not consider anything important or requiring close attention after late afternoon.

Keep TV to a minimum, including if I watch football or basketball, I mute the set to remove the fatuous input of the announcers.

Sex seems to not really matter, as long as I am not going too long.

One other thing I did which may or may not be related- I started taking a fiber supplement-Konsyl.

Hope everyone else has been sleeping well too.

Ha

Thanks for the tips. I think the one below will help me more than anything. I'm glad you're sleeping better.....:)

Try to not consider anything important or requiring close attention after late afternoon.

Sex seems to not really matter, as long as I am not going too long.

I think I'll just watch the replies on this one.
popcorn.gif

I was trying so hard not to say anything! :2funny: :ROFLMAO:

I think I'll just watch the replies on this one.
popcorn.gif
And I completely missed the tuna boat.
There's something Burgess Meredith said about a tuna boat (in reference to sex) either within the movie or in the out-takes at the end of Grumpy Old Men...anyone remember the line? :whistle:

Glad to hear Haha is sleeping better...:flowers:

Maybe it's not sex that helps one go to sleep, but the Big O.

This might also explain the apparent Mars/Venus dichotomy here. Or some of it.....

Last edited:
Maybe it's not sex that helps one go to sleep, but the Big O.

This might also explain the apparent Mars/Venus dichotomy here. Or some of it.....

At Ford, Quality is Job 1, and in bed, Milady's orgasm(s) are job 1.

Then everyone can sleep happily. :)

Ha

Other slogans that help:

Let your fingers do the walking
I can't believe I ate the whole thing
You're in good hands
Mama mia, that's a spicy meatball
Think outside the box
Reach out and touch someone
We try harder
Flick my Bic
Fill it to the rim
Like a rock
Does she or doesn't she?
The happiest place on earth
My wife, I think I'll keep her
Pardon me, do you have any Grey Poupon?
Where's the cream filling?
We're behind you every step of the way
Hey, Mikey
Just do it
Think outside the bun
Takes a licking and keeps on ticking
You've come a long way Baby

At Ford, Quality is Job 1, and in bed, Milady's orgasm(s) are job 1.

Then everyone can sleep happily. :)

Ha

Ha, you're not single by any chance? :cool:
If mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.

:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL: I, too, was realllly trying not to say anything here....now I'm too busy laughing...

Back
Top Bottom