Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-28-2007, 11:03 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Can you recommend a website or book for isometrics? It's something I've been looking for.
Unfortunately, no. My workout consists of a collection of exercises I recall from PE classes, TV exercise shows, etc.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2007, 12:16 PM   #42

sgee - at least explain, what is a "wrist spring" exercise?

Old 05-28-2007, 12:18 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bright eyed View Post
SG, before you continue, I must remind you that this is a FAMILY forum...

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 12:55 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by bright eyed View Post
All right. . . The mind of this forum is clearly in the gutter again. I don't know a formal name for the gadget, but it is a coiled spring attached at either end with a handle. You hold the handles and squeeze against the spring force. It builds up wrist strength. What you do with that strength is entirely up to you, but I don't see how it will help CFB with his intentions.
Old 05-28-2007, 05:53 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Wow. Very impressive for a guy over 50. I would show off too if I can do it. The best I can do is 65 miles non stop in a little less than 5 hours on a bicycle. Nothing to brag about
Old 05-28-2007, 07:20 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgeeeee View Post
All right. . . The mind of this forum is clearly in the gutter again.
See? You're annoyed already!

Quote:
I don't know a formal name for the gadget, but it is a coiled spring attached at either end with a handle.
"Thats not mine, baby!"

Quote:
I don't see how it will help CFB with his intentions.
What are those intentions, exactly? Cuz i'm not sure what they are...your insights please?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 05-28-2007, 07:59 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Steely Dan?

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 08:59 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

With French Benefits!
Old 05-30-2007, 08:56 PM   #49
Confused about dryer sheets

I run 3.5 miles 5 days a week. Looking to increase that when I RE...will have more time to run and cool down!
Old 05-31-2007, 11:44 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Seems to me that for purposes of general fitness, running for 60 min., three times a week, with no consecutive days to allow recovery, would be sufficient. This would mean running maybe 20-25 mi/wk.

Use the in-between days for strength training.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 02:09 PM   #51

i don't run (2 ruptured discs for years and don't wanna risk knees at this age) but i do alternate strength training with swimming & biking. also i combine swimming with both biking & weight training and i combine biking with walking (bike to beach, walk a few miles along beach, bike back).

general routine consists of biking hard for about 20 miles or i bike easy few miles to the pool and then swim for an hour (got my 50-meter swim down to 42 seconds) one day followed the next day with an hour of weight training. or i might swim for a 1/2 hour at the gym followed by an hour work out on weights followed by a day of rest.

i'm more likely to rest a day after i've done a combined day. i don't necessarily take a day of rest when i simply alternate routines unless i'm feeling tired or, how odd, lazy.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 05:43 AM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

I'll join in... Not retired yet (50) been out of shape for the past 3 years... Currently up to running 3 miles a day (lost about 45 pounds). I am hoping to get to 6 miles per day and sustain on that. Goal is to be in top shape going into retirement.
Old 06-09-2007, 07:13 AM   #53

Just a funny aside, went out and ran 7 miles yesterday morning felt great, went to the high school track and we had to put the hurdles and pole vault pits away for the year and decided to run 2 or 3 more miles to get 10 in for the day, mind you it was 96 degrees at the time on the hot track no real breeze and a dewpoint near 70.

Wow did 2 miles and went right into the cool gym, really be careful at 2pm on hot summer days!!!!
Old 06-13-2007, 03:25 PM   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Let’s see, walking toward the exit on a moving public transit vehicle going nine miles an hour sharply downhill....

I try to walk just below the level of knee pain kicking in which is about 1-1/2 to 2 miles a day; so I try to get that walking in in the most scenic places.
Old 06-13-2007, 09:26 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Today I walked over 10 miles, from Uwajimaya in the International district, up and across Capitol Hill and north on 23rd into the U District where I got an iced tea.

I also run a little-only on a track, and as fast as I can for a 220, then walk 220, etc. till I am tired. I loathe jogging. I have told myself it will wreck my knees so I have an excuse other than sloth for not doing it. I also like to jump rope with AC/DC on my mp3 player.

New Guy, you amaze me!

Ha
Old 06-13-2007, 10:14 PM   #56
Moderator Emeritus

And Ha, you amaze me.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 06:20 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Today I walked over 10 miles, from Uwajimaya in the International district, up and across Capitol Hill and north on 23rd into the U District where I got an iced tea.

I also run a little-only on a track, and as fast as I can for a 220, then walk 220, etc. till I am tired. I loathe jogging. I have told myself it will wreck my knees so I have an excuse other than sloth for not doing it. I also like to jump rope with AC/DC on my mp3 player.

New Guy, you amaze me!

Ha
10 mile walks are great and in fact do much for your cardiovascular system as jogging!!

I have a screw loose in my head, ran 70 miles last week.
Old 06-18-2007, 06:25 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

I should probably lurk more than 15 minutes before my first post, and will do that in other threads, but this is certainly one of my interests, so here goes!

Right now I'm recovering from a calf injury so I'm at 15-20 miles. Normally I'd be more like 35-45 this time of year. I'm definitely looking forward to having more time for running when I take ER in about a year, and probably more importantly, having more time for cross-training--weights, swimming, stretching, rope jumping, etc, that I'm not doing enough of now. I've got lots to learn in some of those areas, especially lifting.

Somebody mentioned that 1 hr running 3x week is probably all you need. I agree, though I've personally found that entering and trailing for long races has been a great motivator, so I do more. I ran my first marathon at 39 (I'm 45 now), first ultra 2 years later, and have plans to step up my running in ER to do a 100 miler.

I'm mixing in a lot of trail running these days. I find it easier on the joints to do softer trails, and it varies the stress on the body because every step is potentially different, unlike the repetitive nature of road running. And I'd really rather be running in the woods than on the roads. Of course there are dangers of tripping over roots and rocks so it all balances out. The average age in a trail race seems a lot older to me, and I like the atmosphere and somewhat less competitive nature of trail races. Because of rougher terrain, most people do some combination of running and walking.

I still plan to do an occasional road marathon too. Just thought I'd give trails a mention since I didn't see it brought up.
Old 06-18-2007, 06:27 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

btw, this probably isn't what the "confused about dryer sheets" thing is about, but they sure help take the smell out of running shoes!
Old 06-18-2007, 06:44 PM   #60
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
I
Right now I'm recovering from a calf injury so I'm at 15-20 miles. Normally I'd be more like 35-45 this time of year.
Looks like Newguy888 has met his match!

Welcome to the board.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote